It is currently Mon Oct 24, 2016 12:39 pm

Free Newsletter

Questions about Walking, Weights and other things...

Anything and everything concerning weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

Questions about Walking, Weights and other things...

Postby Suminoya Buffet » Tue Sep 25, 2007 8:45 am

I'm a 23 year old male, very overweight (about 130 kgs now :shock: ) and I've just started walking to work and home again, which is about 5 kms each way.

I just have a few questions: should I start out slower or continue ?

- After I walk I always feel like a sleep! Even at work! Is it better for me to eat a meal before or after ? I have been snaking on tomato/onion tuna, chicken breast and pickled onions (sexy breath!), is this enough, or is there a particular kind of food I should consume ?

- Is water before/after essential ? I really dislike drinking too much water because I just get extremely bloated and want to throw up!

- I try to keep my walking at a good pace, usually getting through the kms in 45 minutes. I am quite overweight so I am sweating a lot. Should I just continue as I am (for the time being), or should I step it up a bit ?

- Do weights aid in weight loss ? I have quite muscular legs and v. broad shoulders, but I'm afraid of building any more muscle on my thighs because I do not want to look like a weightlifter! Any suggestions ?

- Is there a good method to start getting to grips with "calorie counting" ? A book, or even better, a website ? (I tried Calorie King but got confused and quickly closed the window, haha)

- Last one, I want to start doing sit-ups and other simple exercises I can do at home as I have no equipment at the moment, any recommendations ? (There IS a gym at work, but I'm FAR too self-conscious at present :oops: )

I don't expect one person to answer all these questions, but for people who are/have been in the same situation I would really appreciate any advice. Thanks heaps :)
Suminoya Buffet

Postby sassi » Tue Sep 25, 2007 8:57 am

nice work on the walking! 10km a day is fantastic exercise :)

i reckon getting through the 5km in 45 mins is a good pace. other people may have different opinions but i reckon that's about right - you could always slow it a little bit in the mornings, walking a km in 10 mins is still a good pace.

i think that the eating part is really up to you & could be a case of trial and error to see how you feel - do you eat in the mornings before you leave? if you're feeling tired you may need something before you leave like a banana. how about water intake? the tiredness could also be a bit of dehydrations - esp if you're sweating a bit on the walk. make sure you get plenty of water!

as i understand (although someone else will be able to explain better) muscle does help weight loss. it's pretty easy to do some weights at home - that's what i do :) i think you're meant to work the big muscles in the body/do weight bearing exercise when you're looking at losing weight (rather than things like bicep curls that work one particular muscle group). a PT told me the best exercise is squats - you can start off without weights and incorporate them later. then you could do pushups (girly ones for me!) - as they're excellent weight-bearing exercises.

i use calorieking - if you can, try it again cos it really is great when you get the hang of it. otherwise, i've used before - but it's american so it doesn't have lots of our brands of food so you spend a while looking for the equivalent products.

oh - btw with the water - if you do feel bloated etc try sipping it in small amounts rather than a big glass/bottle in one go. drinking too much water during exercise or just after makes me feel ill as well but small sips works far better for me :)

Postby Bigrik » Tue Sep 25, 2007 9:23 am

There a two schools in regards to cardio exercise, LSD (long slow distance), or short intense. From what i've read and heard LSD burns more in the actual exercise, but the short intense burns more calories after you stop. Also try to avoid eating anything for at least 1/2 - 1 hr after any cardio activity or your body will just use the food u put in as fuel.

As for water intake 2 ltrs a day plus 1 ltre for every hr of exercise you do - cannot over stress how important this is for every facet of weight loss.

As for your pace and whether to increase it, listen to your body, push it but dont over do it. Your body can adjust to the same thing over and over again. So you may need to mix it up.
Try interval training (on the way home so you don't sweat as much at work), you know walk normal pace for 10 mins then quicked pace 5 mins, etc, it will be the same distance but you can adjust what you do to how you feel.

As for weight lifting, low weights high reps, dont generally put on huge muscle mass, rather tones and burns fat. I also have the massive thighs and have lost 4.5 cms of each doing this style of weights. Muscle also burns more calories than fat, so evern if you put on a little muscle, in the long term you burn more.

As for stuff from home (dont do reps of 10 try and do as many as you can than try and better it next time)
you can do body weight squats,
Push ups (on your knees to start if needed)
can use a backpack with anything in it as a weight replacement.

But the biggest key here is diet, it took me 6 yrs of heavy exercise and playing first grade rugby, to realise that diet is 90% of teh battle.
Doesnt matter how much you exercise if you aren't fueling the machine properly.

My biggest tip in relation to diet is to ease your self into, if you jump in full on chances are you'll struggle and then potentially fail. Use calorie king to see what your daily intake is know, and to start with knock 200-300 calories out and work your way down to 1500.
Ensure you have your calories spread out over 5-6 meals, and about a gram of protein for every kilo you are.

Let me know if this helps or if you have nay questions
84 Day Challenge
28 Days Down 12.2kgs off
Goal 30kg
Stretch Goal 40kg

Postby electrongirl » Tue Sep 25, 2007 9:24 am

in regards to your exercise, thats a great amount to be doing. Anything will benefit your weightloss. Muscle burns calories all the time, so the more muscle you have, the faster your metabolism will be.

Diet: You really need to have lots of fruit & veges and not to many processed foods, especially anything high in sodium (salt). Lean meats, wholegrain breads, pasta. Basmati rice.

Water: I hate water. BUT I find I have better weightloss results in the weeks I drink my water quota. I buy the bottled water H2Go with the flavour in it. It helps alot.

Maybe buy a calorie counter book, you can get them at most newsagents or book shops. Or experiment with Calorie King. It is a great website.

Good luck and hope this has helped you!
Nikki - Aussie girl living in the USA with her soul mate. My blog:

Image Image

Postby Amanda20 » Tue Sep 25, 2007 12:16 pm

Hi Sum.

I'm just starting out too, and like you, I get tired after doing a walk for an hour. I think slow is best. Listen to your body. I've started off with a walk for an hour a day and doing skipping for about 10 - 15 mins twice a day.

As for the water, I was never really a water drinker but I find drinking water out of the Mount Frankilin 600ml water bottles helps a lot. I can now get through about four in a day. It can get expensive to keep buying the bottles so I get the big 2 litre bottles from the supermarket and then fill them up with boiled hot water. Sydney water makes me sick.

Good luck!

Postby Suminoya Buffet » Wed Sep 26, 2007 11:23 am

Thanks so much for your all your replies, I've read through them about 5 times so it all sinks in :) and have taken it all into consideration.

I really appreciate it, and hopefully other people reading this will feel as enlightened as I do.

Suminoya Buffet

Return to Weight loss Talk