I'm a 23 year old male, very overweight (about 130 kgs now
) and I've just started walking to work and home again, which is about 5 kms each way.
I just have a few questions: should I start out slower or continue ?
- After I walk I always feel like a sleep! Even at work! Is it better for me to eat a meal before or after ? I have been snaking on tomato/onion tuna, chicken breast and pickled onions (sexy breath!), is this enough, or is there a particular kind of food I should consume ?
- Is water before/after essential ? I really dislike drinking too much water because I just get extremely bloated and want to throw up!
- I try to keep my walking at a good pace, usually getting through the kms in 45 minutes. I am quite overweight so I am sweating a lot. Should I just continue as I am (for the time being), or should I step it up a bit ?
- Do weights aid in weight loss ? I have quite muscular legs and v. broad shoulders, but I'm afraid of building any more muscle on my thighs because I do not want to look like a weightlifter! Any suggestions ?
- Is there a good method to start getting to grips with "calorie counting" ? A book, or even better, a website ? (I tried Calorie King but got confused and quickly closed the window, haha)
- Last one, I want to start doing sit-ups and other simple exercises I can do at home as I have no equipment at the moment, any recommendations ? (There IS a gym at work, but I'm FAR too self-conscious at present
I don't expect one person to answer all these questions, but for people who are/have been in the same situation I would really appreciate any advice. Thanks heaps