It is currently Thu Dec 08, 2016 6:55 pm

Free Newsletter

I don't understand...

Anything and everything concerning weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

I don't understand...

Postby Nay » Sat Oct 06, 2007 5:02 pm

I am on the Celebrity Slim diet and I was a bit slack and put on 2 kilos after having a dress altered to fit me for my sisters wedding. This week, I managed to lose these two kilos without exercising, just sticking to the program. I decided to go to the gym last night, expecting a nice loss when I hopped on the scales this morning, and when I did, I weighed the same as I did yesterday!!

How did the scales not change?? I don't exercise all week and I can lose the weight fine, but when I did exercise, the scales didn't change!

All I had yesterday was a shake for breakfast, a shake for lunch with a piece of fritata and Chicken, asparagus and green beans for dinner, plus 3L of water. Grrrr!! So frustrating!!
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/w1gyr2A/]
[/url]
Nay

Postby electrongirl » Sat Oct 06, 2007 5:05 pm

you should never go day by day with weight. my weight can change daily by about 1kg either way.

The exercise could have made you retain a bit of fluid. It takes a few days at least to show any kind of weight loss.

Don't take it to heart, just keep doing what your doing and only weigh yourself once a week on the same day at the same time.
Nikki - Aussie girl living in the USA with her soul mate. My blog: http://aus2usa.blogspot.com/

Image Image
electrongirl

Postby rivenriver » Mon Oct 08, 2007 12:06 am

Day to day, your weight will change A LOT. Especially if you drink a lot of water, like you said you did (but don't stop!!!)

One thing that changes it a lot is how much you've been to the toilet. The ONLY way to loose weight is via the toilet (burned weight in piddle, left over food in poo), so if you hadn't been before you weighed yourself, that would REALLY affect it (sometimes I weigh myself before and after, up to 2kg different!!!). Also your degestive tract and excretory system work on their own timeframe - you probably still had waste products that in there that weren't quite ready to leave yet. Whereas on a different day, you ate at different times, so your systems were on a different timescale, and managed to get rid of your waste before you weighed yourself. Does that make sense?

(btw, sorry about talking about piddle and poo for a whole paragraph. ;) Icky sqicky. But it really is a major thing that affects how much you weigh day to day.)
rivenriver

Re: I don't understand...

Postby help6363 » Mon Oct 08, 2007 2:42 am

Nay wrote:I am on the Celebrity Slim diet and I was a bit slack and put on 2 kilos after having a dress altered to fit me for my sisters wedding. This week, I managed to lose these two kilos without exercising, just sticking to the program. I decided to go to the gym last night, expecting a nice loss when I hopped on the scales this morning, and when I did, I weighed the same as I did yesterday!!

How did the scales not change?? I don't exercise all week and I can lose the weight fine, but when I did exercise, the scales didn't change!

All I had yesterday was a shake for breakfast, a shake for lunch with a piece of fritata and Chicken, asparagus and green beans for dinner, plus 3L of water. Grrrr!! So frustrating!!

BIG HUGS!!!

I really don't understand the scales......sorry no answer from me! Easier said than done, huh?

The scales will move....promise, just keep with it.

Oh....well done on losing 2 kgs

Just hang in there...you will do it!
help6363

Postby Ally » Mon Oct 08, 2007 8:18 am

I agree with Nikki Nay....ideally you should only weigh yourself once a week (even though it is nice to see your progress through the week :oops: ) This avoids the frustration that is experienced when we weigh daily as the fluid fluctuations in our body does vary daily.

I pick early mornings for my weigh ins. Once a week after I have a shower in the nuddie. :)
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wGLHYSm/]
[/url]
Ally

Postby rivenriver » Mon Oct 08, 2007 10:24 am

Do you want a really confusing one?

Yesterday I had my weigh in, 110.8. I am in the habit on weighing myself most days, but I don't count it unless it's Sunday, so this morning I jumped on and I was 111.8 - a whole kg in one day! Then cos I was in my pj's, and as I was getting changed I wondered if they were heavy pj's, so I jumped on again in my underwear - 113.1! I put on 1.4kg in about 30 minutes!!! (and that's without eating or drinking, too!) Go me!!!

In conclusion: scales are weird. So are bodies.
rivenriver

Postby electrongirl » Mon Oct 08, 2007 8:32 pm

I never trust my scales at home. I can get on 3 times in a row and get 3 different numbers, and these scales weren't cheap either!!
Nikki - Aussie girl living in the USA with her soul mate. My blog: http://aus2usa.blogspot.com/

Image Image
electrongirl

Postby Chelle » Mon Oct 08, 2007 10:17 pm

Rivenriver wrote
I put on 1.4kg in about 30 minutes!!! (and that's without eating or drinking, too!) Go me!!!

I think you weight yourself to much & your scales might have a bit of a problem. Stick to once a week..

Body weight fluctuates from day to day. This is mainly due to changes in body fluid which makes up around 60 - 70% of total body weight. It can be affected by changes in hormone level's, dietry salts & carbohydrate & even the amount of exercise you do.
Chelle

Postby rivenriver » Mon Oct 08, 2007 11:08 pm

Chelle wrote:Rivenriver wrote
I put on 1.4kg in about 30 minutes!!! (and that's without eating or drinking, too!) Go me!!!

I think you weight yourself to much & your scales might have a bit of a problem. Stick to once a week..

Body weight fluctuates from day to day. This is mainly due to changes in body fluid which makes up around 60 - 70% of total body weight. It can be affected by changes in hormone level's, dietry salts & carbohydrate & even the amount of exercise you do.

I know body weight changes. And I only "officially" weigh myself once a week. But I'm also very curious about the fluctuations - when they happen, what I do that makes them happen, how big they are, etc etc. I don't get discouraged when I weigh myself and I'm kilos heavier than I was earlier, because the only measurement that counts is Sunday morning. But I'm interested in how and why weight changes over a day. I'm acting as my own guinea pig, essentially. Man, it really shows that I'm a biology student, hey... ;)
rivenriver

Return to Weight loss Talk