It is currently Mon Dec 05, 2016 3:31 pm

Free Newsletter

The Basic Facts Of Weight Loss

Anything and everything concerning weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

The Basic Facts Of Weight Loss

Postby rivenriver » Sun Oct 07, 2007 9:57 pm

The Basic Facts of Weight Loss.

Comming from a biology background, and having been exposed to most ideas about diest in my life, I've been thinking lately about exactly how and why weight is lost, on a physical, biological level. I thought I'd post it here to get it straight in my head, and if I've got anything wrong or missed anything, someone could tell me. :) Or just post a comment. ;)

So.

Humans are eucaryotic organisms. Eucaryotic organisms have cells, and cells function via the process of metabolism.

Metabolism involves converting one substance into another. This requires energy. Energy is stored in the chemical bonds between atoms. By breaking these bonds, energy is released, and the cell can function. Animals break the bonds of glucose moleclues to release energy.

When you exercise, your cells need to metabolise more, so more glucose is needed to break for more energy.

Glucose moleclues are stored as fat in a person. The cell acquires these moleclues and breaks them to release energy. The waste products, what's left over, go into the blood stream, and are filtered out by the kidneys. The waste ends up in the bladder as urine, and it leaves the body.

Fat stores are replenished by eating. When food is taken in, the useful parts are taken away by the digestive system, a process in itself requiring energy. Some foods have more useful bits than others, such as carbohydrates and fats. So with these foods, more is removed to be stored as fat and used later. Other foods like vegetables provide various other nutrients, then the non-useful bits are removed from the body as feaces.

Conclusions:
Waste products don't just evaporate, they have to be flushed down the toilet.
Your body can't use some foods, so you should eat mostly those if you want it to use up your stored fat instead.

What do you think? Does that make sense?
rivenriver

Postby shelbel » Sun Oct 07, 2007 10:44 pm

Ok, so that talks alot about the physical side of weight loss, but if it were only to do with the physical side of things, wouldnt we all be thin? I personally, im speaking for myself here, think that weight loss has very little to do with what was written here, i mean no offense and its great that your taking an interest in that side. For me weight loss is more about motivation, committement,will power, breaking old habits and changing your thinking, the things that happen in your head. For me, i know what i should be eating, i know what is good for my body, so how does that explain why i eat a whole block of choc in one sitting when i know my body can not deal with it in one go?? And it doesnt account for my, 'oh i'll do that exercise later' habit either! Please dont think im bagging you in anyway and for some people understanding whats happening in their body really helps them, but for me its more about wanting to change my habits and my relationship with food.

I hope i actually make an ounce of sense have, it all sounded so right in my head! LOL :wink:
Highest Weight - 93kgs
Current Weight - 68.3kgs
Goal Weight - 65kgs

The wise man Stephen King once said - The only way to go on, is to go on. To say 'i can do this' even when you know you cant

You'll find me in the almost there section :)
shelbel

Postby rivenriver » Sun Oct 07, 2007 11:27 pm

Oh yeah, I totally get that the psychological thing is the far more important bit when trying to loose weight. Hey, if I didn't have a whole pile of mental hurdles, I wouldn't be overweight!!! But I'm a very scientifically-minded chick, and it helps me to know these things, to know exactly how my body behaves on a cellular level, so I can understand not just that I should do certain things, but exactly WHY I should do them. I figured posting it here might be a good way to check that it's right, after all, peer review is the only acceptable method of seeing how you did in science normally. ;)

But no offense taken whatsoever, either. :)
rivenriver

Postby shelbel » Sun Oct 07, 2007 11:32 pm

But no offense taken whatsoever, either.

Oh good!! ^ I worried i would sound preachy!
Highest Weight - 93kgs
Current Weight - 68.3kgs
Goal Weight - 65kgs

The wise man Stephen King once said - The only way to go on, is to go on. To say 'i can do this' even when you know you cant

You'll find me in the almost there section :)
shelbel

Return to Weight loss Talk