It is currently Sat Dec 10, 2016 5:56 pm

Free Newsletter

Question about intake...

Anything and everything concerning weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

Question about intake...

Postby rivenriver » Sun Oct 07, 2007 11:36 pm

So I saw the calorie king website getting talked about, and I decided to have a look. I signed up, and it said I should be eating about 1850 calories per day. So I put in what I ate today. Though I think I've done quite badly today, since I caved in and ate a piece of caramel slice for dessert, I came in under the target, 1565. Then it said to put in my exercise - a friend and I went for a bike ride around the lake, about 2 hours worth. Adding this made me significantly below the reccomonded number of calories, only 687 all up.

I had a look around the website, and it said I shouldn't aim for below the target, but exactly at the target. Otherwise I go into starvation mode and don't loose any weight. Also my day isn't finished until I've eaten all the calories.

So should I go downstairs and get a couple of chocolates out of the vending machine? Somehow I don't think so...

So what's the deal? Have I eaten enough to loose weight? I feel full enough, I'm not hungry. Maybe thirsty, but I'll have a drink soon (not near the computer, lol!). Anyway, I thought the caramel slice would cancel it all out.

Help? I'm confused...
rivenriver

Postby chubba momma » Sun Oct 07, 2007 11:38 pm

Im am so glad someone asked this question casue i too have been trying to figure this out LOL
NO MORE EXCUSES!!
chubba momma

Re: Question about intake...

Postby help6363 » Mon Oct 08, 2007 2:49 am

rivenriver wrote:So I saw the calorie king website getting talked about, and I decided to have a look. I signed up, and it said I should be eating about 1850 calories per day. So I put in what I ate today. Though I think I've done quite badly today, since I caved in and ate a piece of caramel slice for dessert, I came in under the target, 1565. Then it said to put in my exercise - a friend and I went for a bike ride around the lake, about 2 hours worth. Adding this made me significantly below the reccomonded number of calories, only 687 all up.

I had a look around the website, and it said I shouldn't aim for below the target, but exactly at the target. Otherwise I go into starvation mode and don't loose any weight. Also my day isn't finished until I've eaten all the calories.

So should I go downstairs and get a couple of chocolates out of the vending machine? Somehow I don't think so...

So what's the deal? Have I eaten enough to loose weight? I feel full enough, I'm not hungry. Maybe thirsty, but I'll have a drink soon (not near the computer, lol!). Anyway, I thought the caramel slice would cancel it all out.

Help? I'm confused...

Hello! :D

I am just going to tell you what I do...... it may or may not be right but it has worked for me!

If I have not eaten all my calories and I am not hungry, I don't eat them. I make a note of them and use them later in the week if I want. I only hang onto calories for one week. For example, on Monday, I wasn't too hungry and had 200 calories left over ......I wrote 200 down and then used them on Thursday. It's confusing, huh? Hope I haven't confused you. Sorry if I have. Friday is the expiry day for using unwanted calories....sometimes I use them and sometimes I don't.

I don't know if it's the 'right answer' but that's waht I do!

Hope that helps!!!

:D

Oh.....have a great day!
help6363

Postby Ally » Mon Oct 08, 2007 8:14 am

It is a good tip not to eat if you are not hungry as this can lead to a further unhealthy eating habit. The idea is to eat your recommended calories (or close to it) and then when you add the exercise calories into it and it creates the deficit, don't eat those extra calories to get back up to your daily limit.

For example I am on 2000 Cal per day....I eat that amount sometimes...othertimes I only get to around 1700-1800. I add my exercise calories in and sometimes it drops me back to anywhere around 1000 to 1300 calories per day. That is creating the calorie deficit that is talked about. There is no need to then eat it back up to the 2000 (1800 in your case). I work on the rule with CK that as long as I am close to or even at my daily limit Before I add the exercise cals in then that is sufficient.

I hope that I have explained it clear enough for you matey! :)
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wGLHYSm/]
[/url]
Ally

Postby Bigrik » Mon Oct 08, 2007 9:52 am

the 1500 for men and the 1200 cals a day recommendations are the minimum a human body needs to function.

What you take in is your gross calorie figure (think of income),
and after your daily activity is net calories.

So if you look at all the daily activity including sleeping and watching tv burn calories. so your 600 calories is probably alot less, which is what you want. For weight loss your net calorie intake needs to be negative, the old inout vs output scenario.

For example: My Daily intake is around 1500-1600
My Daily Output how ever is around 5000 cals
Net Calories of around -3400

Bear in mind this my count and may not suit everyone i have a large amount to loose and as such have created a large deficent
84 Day Challenge
28 Days Down 12.2kgs off
Goal 30kg
Stretch Goal 40kg
Bigrik

Postby zeedeveelgirl » Mon Oct 08, 2007 11:39 am

As long as you eat 1200 cal gross, I believe, you will be fine :)
zeedeveelgirl

Postby JODI C » Mon Oct 08, 2007 10:16 pm

Well I believe your body will not go into starvation only if you go to extreme's I actually only have between 600-900 calories a day and it's worked for me and my body is not starving so if you dont use your daily intake think of it as a good thing it wont hurt you to have a day here and there when you dont use your calories it could be a good thing
I will succeed!! I really can do it!!
JODI C

Postby shelbel » Mon Oct 08, 2007 10:31 pm

I have a little question, you know how you talk of the body going into starvation mode if you dont eat enough cals, well how many days does it take for that to happen?? It wouldnt happen if you reduced for a day would it?? I dont know a great deal about cal counting! :)
Highest Weight - 93kgs
Current Weight - 68.3kgs
Goal Weight - 65kgs

The wise man Stephen King once said - The only way to go on, is to go on. To say 'i can do this' even when you know you cant

You'll find me in the almost there section :)
shelbel

Postby rivenriver » Mon Oct 08, 2007 11:01 pm

My understanding (from before I joined this site) is that our bodies are used to fast and feast. If you imagine cave men, they might kill a big deer, and have enough food to last them a week. So while they have this food, their bodies function normally. Then once they've finished, it'll be another few days before they manage to make another kill. During this time, they have some plants and stuff, maybe a rabbit, but not a huge amount, and they've gotta make it last. So their bodies say right, it might be 2 weeks before I eat again, I've gotta preserve these fat stores so I'll still have some energy.

I've also heard that if there is plenty of food around (like a fresh kill, or in summer), the first thing you would do when you wake up is eat. So if you eat straight after you get up, your body assumes feast time today, fast later, and functions as normal. If you don't eat breakfast, then your body assumes there's no food available at the moment, and holds onto it's fat reserves.

That's what I've heard, anyway.
rivenriver

Postby Ally » Tue Oct 09, 2007 6:17 am

I don't know how many days it would take, but I think what they are getting is that "starvation mode" relates to your metabolism slowing down, thus harder to shift the weight. The same is to be said for yo-yo dieting, it mucks around with the metabolism to a point where it becomes extremely difficult to shed the weight. I have read articles on women in particular who have mucked around with dieting over their younger years and then when they really wanted to shift their weight the metabolism was so sluggish and reluctant to work that it took them ages to shift even a few kilos......
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wGLHYSm/]
[/url]
Ally

Postby Bigrik » Tue Oct 09, 2007 9:37 am

U want to here the nasty stuff that your body does if you don't get that min 1200/1500 cal intake.

Suprise suprise your body is a very resourceful tool if it doesn;t get the nutrients it needs it will reaccess them in your small intestines. Thats right it will reuse your faeces until it gets what it needs, and guess what it starts to make you really sick when it does all this.

Hence countless sources saying dont go below the 1200/1500 limit.
You may feel like you can eat less, but your body wont like it and it aint healthly. Increase your out put if you want a greated calorie defeciency.

As for 600-900 calories a day, i dont want to seem rude but, that seems way to low, and can never imagine anyone recommending that as healthy!
84 Day Challenge
28 Days Down 12.2kgs off
Goal 30kg
Stretch Goal 40kg
Bigrik

Postby JODI C » Tue Oct 09, 2007 4:56 pm

Well I actually have a personal trainer who is a sports nutritionist and a uni teacher and I am doing what he says is fine to do and I dont get hungry or anything and its working for me
I will succeed!! I really can do it!!
JODI C

Postby kate_turner2000 » Tue Oct 09, 2007 4:58 pm

on adro's forum he once mentioned that you can even get away with eating like 700cals a day and still be fine. he also done his personal trainer certificate too.
kate_turner2000

Postby Tummygirl » Tue Oct 09, 2007 5:29 pm

Im on 1200-1300 6 days a week then 1500 one day a week and i find that working for me. sometimes i feel hungry and sometimes i dont use all cals but im fine.
Cassie xox

Starting Weight 140 kg
Loss To Date 5 kg
Current Weight 135 KG
Tummygirl

Postby zeedeveelgirl » Tue Oct 09, 2007 8:41 pm

Eeeurgh BigRik, that is hideous! It's definitely harmful for your body to consume less than the 1200/1500 cal limit like you said.

I've done my personal training Cert IV as well, and it's definitely not healthy in the long run to be on a very low calorie diet. You need fuel for your body in order to do good workouts and feed your muscles so that they can repair and grow, without that fuel you can't possibly work to your maximum ability.

Ah well, each to their own, but it's been proven that VLCD's (Very low cal diets) are unwise and dangerous.
zeedeveelgirl

Return to Weight loss Talk