It is currently Sat Dec 10, 2016 2:26 am

Free Newsletter

BMI

Anything and everything concerning weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

Postby tamlee » Mon Oct 08, 2007 11:35 pm

Its interesting looking at the photos and seeing their BMI's. I guess because BMI depends on height is why some of the people in the photos look to be normal but are in fact overweight or the other way around. I read somewhere that BMI is now not considered a good way of calculating whether someone is normal or not, because it doesn't consider a lot of factors like shape etc.
Thanks for sharing it was interesting. :)
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wlFCALM/]
[/url]
tamlee

Postby rivenriver » Tue Oct 09, 2007 12:34 am

I'm beginning to see how narrow the lines are drawn in BMI's...

Many of those "overweight" people, I would have called normal. And Most of the obese people I would have called over weight.

They just don't look like they have enough flesh on them to be what they are called. Especially that pic of the three sisters - they're almost the same!!!
rivenriver

Postby Butterfly_Dawn » Tue Oct 09, 2007 12:40 pm

the BMI doesn't account for muscle weight v fat weight. So A footballer or heavyweight boxer would be classified morbidly obese - dare you to tell them that though!!! It is a good tool to use as a guide, so long as you understand its limitations!!
35kg lost. (November 2005 - October 2006)
15kg gained again (as at October 2010).
Back to the drawing board - Let's do this thing!

"You can't change the winds, but you can change the sails"

"Reach out and take control of what lands in your lap"

Butterfly_Dawn

Postby rivenriver » Tue Oct 09, 2007 2:50 pm

Butterfly_Dawn wrote:the BMI doesn't account for muscle weight v fat weight. So A footballer or heavyweight boxer would be classified morbidly obese - dare you to tell them that though!!! It is a good tool to use as a guide, so long as you understand its limitations!!

Nevertheless, some very slim looking girls who didn't look muscley at all were "overweight"...
rivenriver

Postby Immortal » Tue Oct 09, 2007 10:30 pm

Couple of things I noticed...

1) I would have picked the majority of them correctly.

2) Just because somebody can do something (ie Triathlete or mountain climbing) does not mean they aren't overweight, or carry excess weight in fat. I mean, the basic beginners triathlete is a 200m sprint, 1km cycle and 100m swim... not to difficult... And overwight people can still be healthy in cardio standards.

3) The photo's were collected very carefully... ie If you take notice of the weights... 90% of the overweight people mentioned were only around a pound heavier than normal... this translates to around .5kg over normal... depending on eating time and removal of waste... 90% of their life may be spent in the normal range.

BMI however does have flaws...

The military, police and doctors do note this...
It does not take into account gender, muscle ration or body shape.

Being an Endomorph, with shoulders twice as wide as the average male, but a good deal shorter than the average guy, my normal weight is around 85 - 90kg, but when joining the military, this was taken into account, my body shape was not designed for good height, speed and ability to HUNT had it been cave man days... I was designed to carry the 150kg carcass of an animal back to the tribe... Something the average ectomorph could not do...

Another thing worth remembering... Arnold Schwarzneggar... When he one Mr Universe multiple times and often considered, in his prime, to be the most perfectly sculpted man in the history of the world, was considered extremely obese... While Bruce Lee, perfectly chiselled and extremely developed musculature, I am lead to believe was considered extremely underweight.

This is why weight in general is not a good guide for "Weight Loss", as what we are trying to achieve in reality is Fat Loss, and this should be judged in body shape and tone.

Sorry if I've rambled on a bit much though.
Victims; Aren't we all...

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wX0EW8N/]
[/url]
Immortal

Postby zeedeveelgirl » Tue Oct 09, 2007 10:42 pm

Snap, was just about to post that same link :P
zeedeveelgirl

Postby help6363 » Wed Oct 10, 2007 1:22 pm

zeedeveelgirl
Sorry I posted the link you were about to post! :D

To everyone else.......thanks for the information about BMI :D
help6363

Postby zeedeveelgirl » Wed Oct 10, 2007 8:15 pm

Don't be silly, girl!! Heheh course I don't mind, I just thought it was funny that the first post I clicked onto in the section when I was about to post it was your post with the exact same site :P :P
It's a great site hey??
zeedeveelgirl

Return to Weight loss Talk