It is currently Thu Dec 08, 2016 7:16 am

Free Newsletter

My treadmill blew up on me yesterday!

Anything and everything concerning weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

My treadmill blew up on me yesterday!

Postby Hayley » Wed Jan 25, 2006 1:15 pm

Hi guys,

Just had to share this with you - it's both funny and frustrating!

Yesterday, I had been using my treadmill for an hour and was on my cool-down, when it made a popping noise and then started buzzing. I quickly pressed stop, but then smoke started coming out of the motor compartment! I turned it off at the power point and left it. My husband took a look last night and the motherboard is stuffed and means that it can't be used until it is fixed!

I am quite annoyed because I only got it in April last year. I paid $1700 for it and I have to be honest with you, it hasn;t really been used very much until recently (the last week and a half really). All in al, it has probably had about 15 hours use. Because I live in Exmouth, which is 13 hours drive north of Perth, where it was purchased, it is going to be a pain in the bum to get fixed under warranty.

The funny thing is, my husband thinks that I'm secretly sabotaging my exercise equipment! Ha ha! I bought an expensive exercise bike when we lived in Kununurra about 3 years ago and within the space of a year, it had broken 3 times and had to be fixed. I gave up on it after the 3rd time.

I am annoyed because I have finally been using it lately and have started losing weight. It is too damn hot to go walking outside and too many blow flies, even early morning and at night (didn't think they'd be out then!)

I guess I'll have to start using my pilates and tae bo DVDs again.

Just had to share my day with you. :D
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wuOdmgo/]
Hayley

Postby Dolly » Wed Jan 25, 2006 1:43 pm

Hi Hayley, how awful to have a virtually new machine break down on you.
I remember I once bought an orbitrek from orbit fitness, and the pedal broke off just after the warranty ran out bruised my ankle pretty badly too. Of cause if I'd used it when I should have instead of using it to hang clothes on, I would have discovered it in time.

Have you phoned the people you purchased it off. Perhaps making the phone call whilst it's still under warranty will allow you extra time.
Dolly

Postby Hayley » Wed Jan 25, 2006 3:43 pm

Good idea Dolly, thanks. I will give Orbit a call - funny that something I purchased from Orbit broke, just like yours did! Hmmm?
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wuOdmgo/]
Hayley

Postby Butterfly_Dawn » Wed Jan 25, 2006 4:00 pm

LOL, you could always say that you were exercising so hard the machine just couldn't take it!
35kg lost. (November 2005 - October 2006)
15kg gained again (as at October 2010).
Back to the drawing board - Let's do this thing!

"You can't change the winds, but you can change the sails"

"Reach out and take control of what lands in your lap"

Butterfly_Dawn

Blow fly solution

Postby Ed » Wed Mar 01, 2006 8:33 am

Hi Hayley,

as it turns out my treadmill is on the blink as well.

The electric motor is on its last legs and always trips the circuit breaker on the treadmill right in the middle of a walk or jog.

Getting these things fixed isn't as easy as it should be either.

I tried to order a new motor from the USA and was initially told that the cost would be around A$350.

When it finally arrived in the country, 3 months later!, I was told that the price I was quoted initially was incorrect and the new price was closer to A$750!

I politely told them what they could do with their $750 motor!

Now I have to find a company locally who reconditions electric motors which is sure to be a hassle, but I hope a lot cheaper than $750 bucks.

My only consolation in all this is that I've had the treadmill for a number of years and it has been used for 309 hours and has covered the equivalent of 858 kilometres.

Having said that, it has needed a new deck and a new walking belt in the time that I've had it.

With regards to your blow fly issue, have you tried Aerogard Sunscreen?

If I'm going for a walk outside (in Melbourne) I don't leave the house without putting it over my face and neck.

When I do the flyes leave me alone - much to the dismay of others who swat themselves with tree branches as they walk past me, flyes driving them nuts!

Although I'm sure you have more blowies over there than we do here, it might just help.

Good luck with the treadmill!

Ed. :D
Ed

Postby natalie » Fri Mar 03, 2006 6:09 am

I am sorry to hear of all the troubles you guys have been having with your treadmills....I have had alot of trouble with ours aswell but touch wood it is okay at the moment.I paid 2k for it so I was a bit dissapointed when it kept failing me.I called the company where it come from and they had to order new parts from the states that took forever to get here and then i refused to pay for them because It was under 2 years old.I cant belive they had the audacity to ask me to pay.I wrote them an e mail and said if you dont fix it free of charge that I would be going to today tonight about it - They could not come out quick enough to fix it.

If anyone out there is considering a treadmill I have since learnt the best on to buy is a york brand treadmill.Dont ever buy a Nordic one they are not the best.When this one goes I will deffinatley be doing my reasearch before the next purchace.

Natalie. :)
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]

"All we have is here and now"
natalie

Postby Groovychic » Fri Mar 03, 2006 12:55 pm

Well I have just hired one from a fitness place in Bunbury. I've hired it for 3 months for $280. I will probably need it another 3 months as well. I can maintain my weight with normal walking outside but to lose it I really need to be able to walk a lot faster. I slack off when I am on a walk in the bush and look at the plants and birds etc!!! I am walking up to 7.5kms an hour and was jogging on it this morning at 10ks an hour. It sounded a bit sick with the jogging. But if it stuffs up then I will be calling the hire place and I will swap it. Plus I will ask them for a few extra weeks to make up for having to cart it back in there. I live an hour away from Bunbury. I don't think I would buy one after hearing what you guys have been going thru with your machines. The thing is to lose the weight with the hired one and then just do my usual walking every day, and hopefully be fit enough to incorporate a bit of jogging into my walk.
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wSt8KHJ/]
[/url]

Keep Smiling!!!
Groovychic

Postby natalie » Fri Mar 03, 2006 1:01 pm

Good onyou groovy chic

What a great idea.Good luck with the treadmill - I am sure it will do wonders for you as it has for me.

Natalie. :)

natalie

Postby Dolly » Fri Mar 03, 2006 1:06 pm

Groovychick, what a great idea to hire a good quality treadmill for around $23 per week (just long enough to lose the weight)
Owning one permanently often means you can't afford a top of the range brand and when you have lost that weight, the thing just takes up so much house space.

Dolly

Postby Groovychic » Thu Mar 09, 2006 8:26 am

Well I have been getting on it at least once a day. I am making sure I am getting between 80 and 90% maximum heart rate for a minimum of 25 mins. Scales haven't changed yet but it has only been a week. I am considering finding one of the old boys picture mags and sticking on the wall a bikini clad woman to keep me motivated!!!
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wSt8KHJ/]
[/url]

Keep Smiling!!!
Groovychic

Postby natalie » Thu Mar 09, 2006 8:40 am

Hello

I am glad you are getting good use out of the treadmill.YOu will see results soon for sure.

Natalie :)

natalie

Return to Weight loss Talk