It is currently Mon Sep 26, 2016 11:14 am

Free Newsletter

Womans only gym

A place for gym junkies to talk gym.

Moderator: Moderators

Womans only gym

Postby Mummyof3 » Tue Nov 06, 2007 6:06 am

I go to this womans only Gym, "Contours" its called, My oldest son is 5 now and I have been there off and on ever since he was born. I've had 2 more children after that btw lol Anyways I have just returned back this wk, after a years break....

I am that shame with my weight that I go to a all ladies gym, :oops: It's expensive and I can go to the gym just down the road for half the price but it's unisex!!!! Is anyone sort of the same...
*FAILURE IS NOT AN OPTION*

"You must begin to think of yourself as becoming the person you want to be."

Mummyof3

Postby Chelle » Tue Nov 06, 2007 12:33 pm

I go to a uni-sex gym.I dont mind doing weight & all that in front of males, but I think they have women's gym's because alot of women dont like to workout in the same room as a male & feel more cofortable with women hence this is the main reason why there are more & more womens gym popping up everywhere.

Why dont you trial for one day at a uni-sex gym to see how you feel about going there. If it's half the price there is no harm in trying & who know's you could save yourself some money in the long run if you enjoy going there.
Chelle

Postby Mummyof3 » Thu Nov 08, 2007 6:22 pm

Ive never tried before, (unisex gym) and wont be for the next 2 years being i have signed a 2 year contract with this gym I am at now. But surely after these 2 years, I'll have no problems going to a unisex gym :lol:

I really want to get into bodybuilding, just at the moment learning about it.. I love muscle, and I want to be lean. My partner has a great body, I think I will go join his gym after 2 years. but for now I'll stick with the women.

Mummyof3

Postby Chelle » Tue Nov 13, 2007 10:59 am

Wow a body builder, look forward to seeing yur progress.
Chelle

Postby talia11 » Sun Nov 18, 2007 7:56 pm

I go to Beach House Fitness and they ahve awomens section - i only use it when i am doing the weigths as it is impossible to get on the wieghts with all the guys in the main gym but they have a good all round circuit that I like.

I would try the uni-sex one - i just look at it that everyone is there for the same dort of reaosn - yeah sure teher are some pumped up idiots but who cares what they think?
Carmen - Weight Watchers -Goal 72kg

talia11

Postby Mummyof3 » Fri Nov 30, 2007 10:41 am

I would try the uni-sex one - i just look at it that everyone is there for the same dort of reaosn - yeah sure teher are some pumped up idiots but who cares what they think?

I love that attitude, Yeah I could say that since working out and feeling good within myself, I am starting to feel like who bloody cares :lol: as in, what people think, especially those muscled out big as dudes, or those nicely figured leaned women :lol: It can actually be motivating ay???

Mummyof3

Re: Womans only gym

Postby phatcappy » Mon Dec 10, 2007 6:23 pm

Mummyof3 wrote:I go to this womans only Gym, "Contours" its called, My oldest son is 5 now and I have been there off and on ever since he was born. I've had 2 more children after that btw lol Anyways I have just returned back this wk, after a years break....

I am that shame with my weight that I go to a all ladies gym, :oops: It's expensive and I can go to the gym just down the road for half the price but it's unisex!!!! Is anyone sort of the same...

Speaking as a male i tend to not take notice of the other people exercising around me, whether they are in shape or not. makes it easier for me to get on with what i am doing. Of course i cant speak for all males. I go to my University Gym, and it is a lot more friendly atmosphere than public gyms ive been to. At the end of the day everyone is atr the gym for the same reason and you shouldnt feel ashamed just because you have a little farther to go then other people.
phatcappy

Postby Mummyof3 » Mon Dec 17, 2007 8:30 pm

Speaking as a male i tend to not take notice of the other people exercising around me, whether they are in shape or not. makes it easier for me to get on with what i am doing. Of course i cant speak for all males. I go to my University Gym, and it is a lot more friendly atmosphere than public gyms ive been to. At the end of the day everyone is atr the gym for the same reason and you shouldnt feel ashamed just because you have a little farther to go then other people.
thanks for the reply, it' good to hear from a males point of view...

Mummyof3

Postby Juddy » Fri Dec 28, 2007 12:24 am

This might upset some of you guys, but I really dislike the idea behind women's only gyms...

I don't go to the gym to check out women, I go to the gym to get into shape. I get really focused on what I'm doing while I'm there.

But that's not why I dislike women's only gyms, I dislike the idea behind them... why do they exist? "Because I don't like being looked at by guys" - this seems to be the common reason provided to me by members of women's only gyms...

I wonder, would establishing men-only gyms be considered by many as sexist?

It isn't like guys are the only ones that look at girls, it happens the other way too. This doesn't make it right, but many guys would love to catch women checking them out... which brings me to the next point -> Don't women also like being checked out? Isn't the reason you're at the gym so you can look better? So if a guy is checking you out at the gym, then congratulations on your progress!... you must understand, this is an extreme approach, I don't agree with ogling people, but I'm trying to explain the situation a bit.

This doesn't reflect me, personally, by the way. Like I said, I rarely check people out at the gym... and I don't seem to see too many guys doing it either... I DO however, see guys checking out other guys, but not because they find them attractive, but because they're often comparing themselves to them.

The gym is a funny place - if you want to pay the extra amount to have no males around, go ahead, but there isn't anything wrong with unisex gyms, you'll often be surprised at how good they are - and even how few males you see doing cardio or aerobics!
Juddy

Postby Mummyof3 » Tue Jan 01, 2008 6:31 am

I don't go to the gym to check out women, I go to the gym to get into shape.
yip thats what we all go there for.... :wink:

I dislike the idea behind them... why do they exist? "Because I don't like being looked at by guys" - this seems to be the common reason provided to me by members of women's only gyms...
it is the common reason, personally speaking, I am comfortable where I am at.... THATS JUST ME!!!! (and thats okay) it doesnt have anything to do with who is looking at who, I have a man and he looks good lol he goes to unisex gym, and I will be joining him after I lose this 10kilo's and tone up.....

I just want to point out that a womens gym provides all womens needs, women know women, our trainiers are top of the line, and they know what it's like for us not only physically but emotionally, they really provide that service... and in saying that, our gym equipment is big on thighs, butts, (women problem area's) but where as I am keen on getting into bodybuilding as a sport, I intend to go join my man at his gym, cause they dont have the equipment at our womens gym - to lift heavy......

So in a nutshell, it's like women understanding women, and just where I feel comfortable is where I am going to get results.... and yeah people say, who cares who is looking!!!!! Yeah true who cares, It's one's self issue, I geuss, and thats a whole other topic....

I wonder, would establishing men-only gyms be considered by many as sexist?
thats a funny one, I cant see a mens - only gym, I'd consider it being more gay then sexist hahahahah

This might upset some of you guys, but I really dislike the idea behind women's only gyms...

I'm not up-set, thanks for sharing actually, I enjoyed the chat.....

Mummyof3

Postby milkyway » Tue Jan 01, 2008 1:29 pm

Hey Tom - I think if some women want a women's only gym as that's where they feel comfortable working out, then I say give them a place where they can work out without fear of being judged by men - warranted or not.

If we didn't have women's only gyms, then there would be a lot of women not going to the gym and getting into a healthy lifestyle at all!

PS I go to a unisex Y and couldn't give a rats what others think about me!
Just keep moving! And don't be lazy...
------------------------
SW: 74.3kg - 1/1/09
CW: 71.1kg - 3/5/09
GW 62kg
milkyway

Postby Juddy » Tue Jan 01, 2008 5:33 pm

Fair comments, I'm guessing a lot of the people here would have good reasons for going to women-only gyms... but a few of the girls I've talked to about it have sounded slightly angry about the idea of going to a gym with males!

I guess it is just one of those things!
Juddy

Re: Womans only gym

Postby BeyondBeauty » Sun Sep 28, 2008 2:00 pm

I go to a beautiful gym...

I live in a rural area, and it is located just moments out of town. During the day there is a beautiful view over the surrounding gardens, and during the evening you can see the city's lights twinkling away.

It was initially a women's only gym, but they have recently opened it up to men as well. This has not bothered me, as they have a seperate weights area for the men.

They gym has a lounge area if you feel the need to have a sit down and chat to a staff member or other member of the gym; there is a child care facility which is free to members; there is a massage therapist, dietician and hair dresser all available (at an extra charge); the only place you will find a mirror is in the hair salon or the bathroom; there is always motivating, modern music playing; it's just a relaxing, calm and enjoyable environment overall.

I think it's really important to shop around and find a gym that really suits you, as I used to believe that "all gyms are the same", but I now see that I was wrong. I don't think it's so much whether there are men there or not that matters, it's all about the atmosphere and thankfully I've found a gym that is family owned & run, staffed by real people who actually do care.

Good luck to everyone in finding the right gym for them.

BB x x

Progress to first mini-goal, deadline: 30 December 2008!
To believe you can, is everything.
BeyondBeauty

Return to Gym Junkies Club