It is currently Sat Oct 01, 2016 10:48 am

Free Newsletter

I used to do powerlifting!

A place for gym junkies to talk gym.

Moderator: Moderators

I used to do powerlifting!

Postby Fiona25 » Tue Jan 01, 2008 9:46 am

Just thought i'd reminise about my days of doing power lifting when I was 17. Man, I was SO strong! I was pretty buff, but had a bit of excess fat so didn't have huge muscle definition.

I used to be able to (reps of 6):

Squat 120kgs

Leg press 280kgs

Bench press 65kgs

Calf lift 100kgs

Do full pull ups

They're the main ones I can remember.

The instructor was such a strong guy. He use to PULL cars as part of his training :shock:

I was so into body building comps for a while too...not competing but watching and I remember my hero back then was Christine Anvil who at that time was 3 x Miss World.

Just thought i'd share a piece of my past.

I don't want to get buff now, just trim and toned so when I do weights, they're light and I do 15-20 reps.

I did used to be a major gym junkie back then though!
Saying goodbye to calorie counting AND scales for a while.

Just enjoying the new and improved healthy me and embracing my new lifestyle!
Fiona25

Postby Mummyof3 » Tue Jan 01, 2008 7:17 pm

Oh cool :D so cool man.....

I used to be able to (reps of 6):

Squat 120kgs

Leg press 280kgs

Bench press 65kgs

Calf lift 100kgs

Do full pull ups

Fiona that just rocks in my eyes,,, wow, my goal is to do the above, hopefully by May.... cant get over the 120kg squats.... I am only doing 40kg but in the leg press machine.....

at 17 even shucks you must have been one strong 17 year old... do you have any pic's of being buffd.....

Thanks for sharing...
*FAILURE IS NOT AN OPTION*

"You must begin to think of yourself as becoming the person you want to be."

Mummyof3

Postby Fiona25 » Tue Jan 01, 2008 8:05 pm

I don't have any pics at my house, but my Mum might have some. I'll check when I visit next.

I didn't look good though. I didn't look cut or toned or anything, but if I would flex you could feel mega hard muscle! It was really cool being that strong because I would surprise someone and say pick up a 40kg bag and carry it over my shoulder like it was a feather, and people would be like :shock:

I just had so much fun with heavy weights, I loved the challenge! I wouldn't do it again though only because I don't want to be buff. I want to be slim and toned with minor muscle definition.

One day at the gym an ex pro body builder saw me working out with the powerlifting group and offered to train me for free because he saw so much potential and said I was perfect for it because I was short and compact. I did a few sessions with him which were so great, but then I turned 18 and slowly swayed from the gym and found the world of pubs, clubs and alcohol too tempting!

Fiona25

Postby Mummyof3 » Wed Jan 02, 2008 5:44 am

well what an achivement you could lift at that age... Good going..
To get the definition, diet plays like 80% of the part.... my partner lifts heavy, but his diet aint all that, as we are just trying to make the diet changes slowly (not easy) but getting there...

My goal is to look buff, but the thing is Jon, doesn't like the idea, so that is just a short term assignment, but yeah definatly minor muscles on!!!! Just as long as I have a bit of muscle, its algud....

some people dig it and others dont... but I think it's hot as...
*FAILURE IS NOT AN OPTION*

"You must begin to think of yourself as becoming the person you want to be."

Mummyof3

Postby Fiona25 » Wed Jan 02, 2008 7:57 am

Oh for sure, diet plays a huge part. I ate very well, but it was a high protein, high carb, low fat diet. Had I have lost fat, I would've been buff for sure!

Many men don't dig buff women, they think its gross, un natural etc, but I always put those people in their place. They have no idea how hard it is, the sacrifices you make, all the training and hard work, injuries etc, and then at the end of the day they get negative comments! Really sh*ts me off.

My hubby isn't into buff women either, he told me he doesn't want me getting buff. I told him I won't, but if I did then tough luck, its my body and i'll do what I want!!!

Have fun with your weights, you sound really keen!

Infact just chatting with you i'm missing the weights scene a lot!

Fiona25

Postby Fiona25 » Wed Jan 02, 2008 7:58 am

Forgot to say, I used to do bugger all cardio. In a 90min gym session, 20mins max would be cardio, the rest was all weights.

Fiona25

Postby SarahC » Wed Jan 02, 2008 9:25 am

Wow, thanks for sharing that Fiona! That is amazing :shock: I thought I was doing well with 100kg on the leg press but 280kg... wouldn't that weight like crush your bones???!

I can do about 6 chin ups (starting to work on increasing that), but I don't have a whole lot of body weight to lift, to it's not that impressive :roll:

Do you think you'd still be able to lift that amount now, if you tried?
SarahC

Postby Mandie » Wed Jan 02, 2008 9:53 am

Wow that's so impressive!

And here I was proud that I got the numbers wrong on the leg press and instead of 40kg, I pressed 60kg the other day with my PT... that's NOTHING! lol!
Mandie

Postby Fiona25 » Wed Jan 02, 2008 10:16 am

I reckon if I really trained hard I could do it again. Heavy weights is such a mind game though...you really have to believe you can do it.

I reckon I could leg press 100kgs now. I have really strong legs from horse riding. I normally ride 2 horses a day for a good 40mins each, but i'm bringing the boys back into work after a big break, hence only the short rides right now.

I was always weakest with the bench press, but anything with legs, such as squats, calves, leg press I could do heaps!

They actually used to have a pic of me at their gym doing the 280kg leg press! I was lifting the 2nd heaviest weight out of the entire gym with the leg press. The instructor for the power lifting group was the only one who could lift more than me :D

My fave used to be squats and leg press. The squats were the biggest mind game one for me. Thats why the group was so good because you had constant spotters and them telling you that you could do it.

I do miss the challenge, but i'm right into cardio right now, and that is the hardest thing I reckon...i'm normally not a cardio person, so its a big challenge for me right now.

Fiona25

Postby Juddy » Wed Jan 02, 2008 11:33 am

Geeeeez!

I have only really started getting into leg pressing and the most I can do at the moment is 240... you beast!

edit: 'you beast' is a compliment, just incase you were wondering - haha!
Juddy

Postby Fiona25 » Wed Jan 02, 2008 11:36 am

Hahahhahha, I would've taken it that way Tom - as a compliment that is :D

Fiona25

Postby Juddy » Wed Jan 02, 2008 2:41 pm

Hahaha! Oh good!

Was getting a bit worried there!
Juddy

Postby milkyway » Wed Jan 02, 2008 4:11 pm

I am hopeless with any form of weightlifting :oops: - especially upper body. I restarted a weight training routine in November and it's good to see the small changes that have started to happen. I'm not into big muscles for guys or girls, but I love the look of the 'natural' body builders (when they're not flexed).
Just keep moving! And don't be lazy...
------------------------
SW: 74.3kg - 1/1/09
CW: 71.1kg - 3/5/09
GW 62kg
milkyway

Postby Juddy » Wed Jan 02, 2008 6:43 pm

Natural body builders? :S

You mean bodybuilders who have not gone over-the-top?
Juddy

Postby sassi » Wed Jan 02, 2008 7:22 pm

i did my first bench press today - a teeny 20kg. i'm such a weakling!! :oops: :lol:

those stats are super impressive fiona! i know what you mean about just wanting to be trim & toned tho :)
sassi

Next

Return to Gym Junkies Club