It is currently Fri Sep 30, 2016 10:44 pm

Free Newsletter

How long should I rest my quads?

A place for gym junkies to talk gym.

Moderator: Moderators

How long should I rest my quads?

Postby EvilWombatQueen » Thu Feb 07, 2008 5:10 pm

I need advice! I've did my first work-out at the gym yesterday. Now my legs are killing me! It was the squats with weights that did it. My quadriceps ache and I can barely walk (I can run without bother, though, which is pretty weird). I was wondering when I should go back and do another work-out. I was planning on having a day's rest between work-outs to allow my muscles to recover, repair and rebuild but I was wondering if it would be better to have a couple of days rest and only go back when my quadriceps don't ache too badly, at least while I'm just starting out.

So should I go to the gym tomorrow and do the same workout as best I can with aching legs? Or perhaps go to the gym and do all the other exercises but let rest my quadriceps since they're the only muscle group that's still aching. Or would it be best to avoid the gym until my quadriceps don't hurt as much, concentrating on running and toning my upper body at home until my legs are better?

Also, have I made a big mistake in running while my quads are still aching? I assumed that running wasn't working on the muscles in the same way that the squats were, which is why my muscles were ill-prepared for squats in the first place, so I thought it wouldn't do any harm. I went walking after doing the weights to clear out the lactic acid and I've been stretching regularly since then to try to alleviate the pain too.

Any advice would be hugely welcome!
EvilWombatQueen

Re: How long should I rest my quads?

Postby ali76 » Thu Feb 07, 2008 5:17 pm

Oh dear....I'm really not sure!

I don't think running was the best idea though?

I think you need to listen to your body. If it hurts its saying whoa woman, ease up! If you want to go to the gym and work other areas I should think that would be good, but leave your quads until they're better.

Do you have a pool at your gym? That might really do them some good?

Good work on the walking and stretching them out too...maybe have a nice hot radox bath too??

Good luck!! Now I'm off to the gym!! :roll:

xo
SW - 75.9
CW - 68
Happy weight - 68 (I MADE IT!!!)
GW - 65 (for now - and until I conceive!)
ali76

Postby EvilWombatQueen » Thu Feb 07, 2008 5:31 pm

Thanks for the advice, Ali! I'll grab some Epsom salts on the way home (that's the same as Radox isn't it?)

The funny thing is I was quite happy to avoid running, but when I ran a few steps it felt soooo much less painful than walking. According to the Cool Running website* running uses the hamstrings more than the quadriceps so that might explain why it hurts less to run than to walk. Of course this makes me worry that I'll end up with torn quads from overdeveloped hamstrings, but if I stretch my quadriceps before running I'm hoping I'll be okay. If any runners have any advice or info on this I'm all ears!

I'm definitely going to do the warm bath and Epsom salts/Radox tonight! That sounds like such a good idea.

* http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_5/226.shtml
EvilWombatQueen

Postby EvilWombatQueen » Thu Feb 07, 2008 5:33 pm

Sorry, forgot to add that no my gym doesn't have a pool unfortunately. It's just a PCYC gym with a basketball court, boxing ring, some weight equipment and some cardio equipment.

I'd ask the staff at the gym, but they're mostly just volunteers and I don't know how much advice they could give.
EvilWombatQueen

Postby EvilWombatQueen » Thu Feb 07, 2008 5:42 pm

I just found a really interesting article. It claims that 90% of the quadriceps muscle mass isn't affected by stretching. The quadriceps are four separate muscles and only one of them is actually stretched using the classic runner's stretch. The site recommends massage as a way of relieving aching quads. Massage with a rolling-pin at that! :shock:

I'm going to give that a go tonight. Along with the Radox bath. And stretching (hey, even if it only helps one of the quad muscles it's better than nothing!)

Massage Therapy for Your Quads URL: http://saveyourself.ca/articles/perfect ... pot-08.php
EvilWombatQueen

Postby milkyway » Thu Feb 07, 2008 9:28 pm

Yeah, I reckon running's OK. I only get sore quads from running or walking when I go up or down hills.
I'd skip any weight/resistance training on your quads until they don't hurt anymore. Focus on your upper body for your next workout.

Sounds like you had an awesome workout!!! Good going :P
Just keep moving! And don't be lazy...
------------------------
SW: 74.3kg - 1/1/09
CW: 71.1kg - 3/5/09
GW 62kg
milkyway

Return to Gym Junkies Club