It is currently Tue Dec 06, 2016 11:14 pm

Free Newsletter

gym classes (les mills)

A place for gym junkies to talk gym.

Moderator: Moderators

gym classes (les mills)

Postby matchbox » Mon Jun 02, 2008 5:06 pm

hey guys, just wondering how many of you do classes?

do you have favourites?? what are they like??

i'm thinking about going but am not really sure on what they are like, any feedback would be great :)
Have FAITH in yourself
matchbox

Re: gym classes (les mills)

Postby Tarz » Mon Jun 02, 2008 5:12 pm

Hey Lexi,

I do a step class which i love, its fun and high energy - its like aerobics with a step.
I also really like body combat classes cos its got bits of kick boxing and punching which is fun.
Pump is a popular one but it hurts my shoulders to much - its a weight lifting class
most gyms have a list explaining all the classes and you are usually allowed to just sit in to watch the first time and decide if you want to fit in.
I love classes for days that you can't be bothered to do much because you have someone else motivating you.
Tarz

Postby matchbox » Mon Jun 02, 2008 5:22 pm

thanks tara. i was looking at going to the pump one tonight. what does it involve? is it hard?
Have FAITH in yourself
matchbox

Postby Tarz » Mon Jun 02, 2008 5:25 pm

Its usualy just a bar with youur choice of weights and lifting to differnet beats (timings) and working different muscles using hand weights, it varies from gym to gym but is fairly similar. Give it a try and see what you think. If the muscles in my shoulders didn't start to burn like they do i would be going again and again.
Tarz

Postby ali76 » Mon Jun 02, 2008 5:32 pm

I luuurrrve doing classes! I danced for 12 years so doing classes lets me be a little co-ordinated again!

I like step (although I have dodgy knees and general aerobics. The gym I've joined that opens in August apparently has great RPM classes which are brilliant for burning up calories! Can't wait for it to open...yah! :mrgreen:

Let us know how your class goes :P
SW - 75.9
CW - 68
Happy weight - 68 (I MADE IT!!!)
GW - 65 (for now - and until I conceive!)
ali76

Postby matchbox » Mon Jun 02, 2008 5:45 pm

cool thanks girls. still deciding but i'll probably go, either to the class or just to the gym.
Have FAITH in yourself
matchbox

Postby matchbox » Mon Jun 02, 2008 6:53 pm

just had a look at the les mills site, i think i'm scared of body pump :shock: don't know if i wanna do it now!! haha
Have FAITH in yourself
matchbox

Postby matchbox » Mon Jun 02, 2008 9:03 pm

built up the guts to go - got ready and went - but forgot its a public holiday and it was shut!! :( not happy lol. was gonna go 4 a walk but it was starting to get dark already. think i'm gonna get up early tomorrow and go - there's an interesting class on (not les mills) called KI max, shold be good 8)
Have FAITH in yourself
matchbox

Postby Mandie » Mon Jun 02, 2008 9:03 pm

Don't be scared! The first time I did pump, the instructor got me to do it without weights - just the bar - so I could get the technique right. Just make sure you go up and tell the instructor at the start that it's your first time and you'll be right :) Pump is awesome!
Mandie

Postby matchbox » Mon Jun 02, 2008 9:04 pm

haha thanks mandie, we must've posted at the same time :P
Have FAITH in yourself
matchbox

Postby milkyway » Mon Jun 02, 2008 9:14 pm

I do Body Combat sometimes (usually fun but find some of the moves completely unnatural - and I've done martial arts for 10 years!), Body Attack is a pretty good hi impact aerobics class but doesn't require too much coordination (if I can manage after a class or two, anyone can :P) and I love love love Body Balance - it's a mix of yoga and pilates. I feel sooo good after it - like stretching and meditation for an hour :)
Enjoy!
Just keep moving! And don't be lazy...
------------------------
SW: 74.3kg - 1/1/09
CW: 71.1kg - 3/5/09
GW 62kg
milkyway

Postby ali76 » Mon Jun 02, 2008 10:51 pm

milkyway wrote:Body Balance - it's a mix of yoga and pilates. I feel sooo good after it - like stretching and meditation for an hour :)

Ooohhh.....I LOVE the sounds of that!!
SW - 75.9
CW - 68
Happy weight - 68 (I MADE IT!!!)
GW - 65 (for now - and until I conceive!)
ali76

Postby matchbox » Tue Jun 03, 2008 12:39 am

cool thanks for that san. body balance sounds really good, might try it out in the next few weeks :)
Have FAITH in yourself
matchbox

Postby jessica86 » Mon Jul 28, 2008 2:00 pm

im gonna start doing classes too from next week- need to get over my fear! im starting with body pump first, which im not too scared of, because ive been doing upper body weights with my trainer for a few months now. im also gonna do RPM because my trainer is gonna start teaching those classes, so she knows my fitness level already & my history of fainting on bikes and we have always talked about getting me on the bike again, so id love to do it with my trainer as the instructor. id like to eventually start including some yoga & pilates as well.

<3 jess
jessica86

Postby Jane85 » Mon Jul 28, 2008 8:54 pm

I do combat and pump classes all the time...I love pump because its really easy to see your progress & strength improving all the time,

Ive tried step and rpm a few times and cant get into them, and have tried jam, and really like it, but dont feel like I get as much out of it.
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wEuhBwI/]
[/url]
Jane85

Next

Return to Gym Junkies Club