It is currently Fri Sep 30, 2016 10:48 am

Free Newsletter

sore muscles after gym workout

A place for gym junkies to talk gym.

Moderator: Moderators

sore muscles after gym workout

Postby sunshine » Wed Jul 30, 2008 3:08 pm

So I have just started my new gym programme, after having 2 months away. It is a weights then cardio workout and its great. But after doing two days in a row, my muscles in my legs and butt! are so sore, oh my arms and shoulders too :D I am wondering would this be because I am just getting back into weights, or that I didn't stretch enough when I finished. I was doing lunges and squats (oh the joy) so my legs really were working hard! Any ideas?
sunshine

Re: sore muscles after gym workout

Postby SarahC » Wed Jul 30, 2008 5:48 pm

I would say it's just cos you've had time off. And, it's good that they are sore, it means that you worked hard and didn't slack off - good job :D

Maybe treat yourself to a nice hot (and make it hot) bath, that ought to help a little. Or a sauna if you have access to one..
SarahC

Postby jessica86 » Thu Jul 31, 2008 6:04 pm

ive been doing weights with a personal trainer for a few months now, and my muscles still hurt after every session

<3 jess
jessica86

Postby Tarz » Fri Aug 01, 2008 1:27 pm

Sore muscles is a sign that your doing a good workout. if your not sore afterwards your not working hard enoungh. When you finish make sure you take your time to stretch out afterwards, don't rush through the stretches then go home and treat your self to a warm bath or if you gym has a spa or sauna go laze around :wink:
Tarz

Postby EvilWombatQueen » Fri Aug 01, 2008 1:37 pm

Tarz is right. You should be feeling aches after weights or resistance training sessions. Weight training causes micro-tears in the muscles. That aching feeling is your body re-building and repairing those micro-tears. It's this rebuilding process that adds muscle mass. So what you are feeling is not only normal, it's what you should be aiming for!

When you start exercising again after a long time off you'll probably experience more micro-tears than normal because your muscles won't be used to it. This could mean more aching than you would normally experience. Just make sure you rest your muscles between sessions to give them a chance to repair. At least a day between muscle building sessions is essential, and if you are still easing your way back into your routine you'll probably need an extra day or two to recover between sessions.

Stretching can certainly help. As can muscle massage (I find rolling a rolling pin over the quads is great to assist in recovery after lots of squats!). Hot baths with epsom salts are great too. Make sure you're eating enough protein to help rebuild your muscles too. A protein drink or protein bar following a weights workout is a great way to help recovery.

Good luck!
EvilWombatQueen

Postby Tarz » Fri Aug 01, 2008 1:47 pm

EvilWombatQueen wrote:Make sure you're eating enough protein to help rebuild your muscles too. A protein drink or protein bar following a weights workout is a great way to help recovery.

If this is how you want to treat the sore muscles it is recommended that you have a slice of white bread with jam at the same time. These simple carbs will help break down the protein to help repair the muscle quicker.
Tarz

Return to Gym Junkies Club