It is currently Sun Dec 11, 2016 1:11 pm

Free Newsletter

Setting up a home gym

A place for gym junkies to talk gym.

Moderator: Moderators

Setting up a home gym

Postby FluffieFaerie » Mon Aug 04, 2008 3:34 pm

Hi all, I'm in the process of setting up a home gym. I've been members of gyms on and off for the past four years but since having my little boy two years ago I've struggled to keep it regular. We just moved to Australia from the UK, 4 weeks ago, and it was always the intention that I would set up a home gym when we got here. I have about $2,000 to spend but I really don't want to spend it all at once. For this I would like to get a reasonably good treadmill with an automatic incline and a selection of programmes (I've been looking at a few online but would really appreciate peoples experiences and feedback on their own treadmills). I also want to get a bar, some weights and a step so that I can try and replicate the Body Pump classes I used to go to in the UK.

I'd really like to hear people's thoughts on home gyms, whether they have one, what equipment they have ... what I should consider spending my money on and what is a complete waste of time..? Just general thoughts would be a massive help to me. Hope you can help.
Emma (27), full-time Mummy to a Cheeky Monkey (born Sept 06)
At my heaviest: 185lbs
At my lightest: 142lbs
Current weight: Somewhere in-between!
FluffieFaerie

Re: Setting up a home gym

Postby SarahC » Tue Aug 05, 2008 8:51 am

Hi :D I've got a cross trainer and a treadmill at home. I use the cross trainer heaps, but the treadmill is getting a bit old and the mat's getting a little slippery, so don't use that as much. Also got a set of dumbells that I can change the weight by adding/removing weight plates - find those helpful, but a pain to keep changing the weights. And I have full home gym, which lives in my garage as there's no room inside the house. I find that because it's outside, I don't use it as much, particularly on very cold mornings!!

When you do get the stuff though, just be aware that you have to be disciplined to get the most out of it. I find that it's so much easier to stuff around during my home workouts.... I'll wonder off into the kitchen, or sit at the computer. A one hour workout can take me up to an hour and a half or longer!!! I would imagine that the distractions would be far greater with a little one to look after as well :?

I ended up getting a gym membership as well - so I have both lol.
SarahC

Postby FluffieFaerie » Tue Aug 05, 2008 10:02 am

Thanks for that, I should be ok... all my stuff is going in the Garage so once I'm in there I plan to shut the door and not come out until I'm done!!!
Emma (27), full-time Mummy to a Cheeky Monkey (born Sept 06)
At my heaviest: 185lbs
At my lightest: 142lbs
Current weight: Somewhere in-between!
FluffieFaerie

Postby jessica86 » Tue Aug 05, 2008 1:21 pm

i used a home gym before i joined my gym.

i had a crosstrainer, a treadmill, free weights a weights machine, along with yoga dvd's a mat & balance ball.

i used to make 'appointments' with myself when to work out, and it helped.

i ended up joining a gym because i find i work out alot harder when im there.

good luck with it!

<3 jess
jessica86

Postby Tarz » Tue Aug 05, 2008 1:32 pm

If i was to set up a home gym which i wish i could but i'd have to get rid of the lounges (actually not a bad idea) i would get cross trainer, treadmill and boxing bag. Gotta have the boxing bag, great to take out frustration!
Tarz

Postby FluffieFaerie » Sat Aug 09, 2008 10:22 pm

Right, well I'm all set up. I've got a treadmill, a power plate, fitness ball thing, an ab-roller, a step and some free weights inc. a bar for the Body Pump DVDs I've managed to get my hands on. I've even ordered rubber backed carpet tiles for the floor. Hopefully have it all set up and ready to go by next weekend! Yay!
FluffieFaerie

Postby SarahC » Tue Aug 12, 2008 3:34 pm

Cool, hope you enjoy all that. Sounds really great. Carpet tiles... what a good idea :D
SarahC

Return to Gym Junkies Club