It is currently Sat Oct 29, 2016 6:42 am

Free Newsletter

Any tips from the gym for best workout?

A place for gym junkies to talk gym.

Moderator: Moderators

Any tips from the gym for best workout?

Postby hippy_chick » Thu Sep 11, 2008 6:44 pm

Hi all.

I would like some tips from gym junkies please! As joining a gym isn't feasable for me at the moment, I am devising my own machine-free gym program and would like some help and tips!

At the gym, I know they advise to work on one particular area per day. These are the kind of tips I'd like, plus any exericises for specific areas anyone can recommend?

I will be doing a little cardio in the form of treadmill in the meagre gym my office building has to offer, but I will be setting aside 1/2 our each morning before work for resistance exercises. I would like to focus on arms (in particular the nanna-hanger parts!), stomach, thighs and butt.

A little background info: I am living in London, where it is now windy and cold, which means I can't exericise outdoors - I am returning to Australia shortly, which is also why I asm not currently playing any sports or anything. That's why I'm creating my OWN gym of sorts!

Any help with tips would be great!
Slow & Steady Wins the Race!

I'm imformed, committed & consistant. I'm loving my body & working towards a sustainable body, the healthy way.

Persistance will set you free.

Re: Any tips from the gym for best workout?

Postby Trusylver2 » Fri Oct 10, 2008 11:52 am

the "nanna hanger" is your tricep muscle and there are a few ways to work it without weights but here is a basic selection of exerciseses that can be done without weights

Upper Body

Pushups- Normal works chest and triceps
Tricep pushups - works the tricep muscle more hand are closer together than normal pushups
Bench Dips - Works Triceps

Bench Dip Exercise
Sit on the side of a bench, your palms on the bench, beside your hips.
Your legs should be straight out in front of you, heels on the floor.
Straighten your arms so your butt lifts off the bench.
Bend your arms 90-degrees as you lower your butt toward the floor. Pause, and then push back up to the starting position.
Begin with bent knees with the feet directly beneath the knees to reduce workload.
Place a weight securely on the upper-thigh area to increase workload.

do with bent legs, don't have your feet held otherwise you will be working your hip flexors more than your abs

Lower Body

Squats - works thighs (Quadriceps), Glutes (Bum), adductors (inner thigh), hamstrings
Lunges - similar to above

There are more but this should be ok to get started

Return to Gym Junkies Club