It is currently Wed Sep 28, 2016 12:43 pm

Free Newsletter

Eating before exercise in the morning

A place for gym junkies to talk gym.

Moderator: Moderators

Eating before exercise in the morning

Postby Tarz » Mon Sep 29, 2008 2:49 pm

Just a quick q to see what others do:

Do you eat before you exercise in the morning? If so what do you eat? Also do you think eating before going helps you go harder?
Tarz

Re: Eating before exercise in the morning

Postby BeyondBeauty » Mon Sep 29, 2008 9:42 pm

I don't normally exercise in the morning, as I am up at 5am to head off to work - however, I did go to the gym first thing in the morning on a weekend recently and made the mistake of not eating before I went. I felt physically ill, and light headed, and had to stop 35 minutes into my work out. I won't make the mistake again and will ensure I have a light breakfast first.
Progress to first mini-goal, deadline: 30 December 2008!
To believe you can, is everything.
BeyondBeauty

Postby Tarz » Tue Sep 30, 2008 10:01 am

Thats what my problem is. I have to have something or i feel lightheaded. Except i can't eat to well first thing in the morning and can't wait till i get to the gym to eat because it will give me a stitch. I've tried banana, muslie bar and protein shake (not all at once, different days) and still haven't found whats right.
Tarz

Postby SarahC » Mon Oct 13, 2008 3:52 pm

I normally have something really small before I go. Usually it's just a small 25g serve of bran cereal. Either that or a small amount of protein powder mixed with a little milk (I make a mousse with it, it's yum!). Then, I have breakfast when I get to work.

Can't quite manage to go without eating, although I've heard that "fasted cardio" is quite good for fat burning. Maybe it's just psychological that I *have* to eat as soon as I get up! Can't have a heavy meal though beforehand as that does give me a tummy pain, but just a few bites sees me through to brekky :)
SarahC

Postby jessica86 » Tue Oct 21, 2008 1:44 am

i prefer to eat something. i have a banana every morning for breakfast anyway, so i just have that before gym and then have something when i get home aswell. i tend to get dizzy easy & faint with lower body weights(i work with a trainer) so i need to eat something!

<3 jess
jessica86

Postby Shalimar » Tue Oct 21, 2008 1:53 pm

I have breakfast, take junior to school and then I go on my walk.
I have a fruit smoothie, prunes and sometimes I have a smoothie, 1/2 a serve of prunes and half a protein bar.
I add a fibre supplement to the smoothie.

SW: 175.0 kgs.
CW: 62 kgs-Hit goal 12 September 2009.
Shalimar

Postby Jane85 » Sun Nov 16, 2008 2:00 pm

When I go in the morning I usually have a small peice of fruit just to put something in my tummy then do the weebix thing when I get home.
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wEuhBwI/]
[/url]
Jane85

Postby Ophir » Tue Nov 18, 2008 2:06 pm

I generally cant eat a main meal before working out as i start to feel sick. On sunday i went to the gym around 10am and hadnt eaten and at times i started feeling a little faint...opps!

I usually workout of an evening and make dinner when i get home after the gym.
Ophir

Postby Nunu » Thu Dec 25, 2008 11:30 pm

I was told that its easier to burn fat if you exercise before eating breakfast.. i dont know how true this is, but i used to do it.. and i found it really good, i dont know if i could do it anymore.

After hearing before breakfast workouts are best. I would to drag myself out of bed when it was still dark, put my runners and a jacket on and off i went.. how embarrassing.. i was running in my jim jam pants.. i think i got a few streets away before i actually woke up, and realised i looked like a fool, funny thing is i kept doing it.
30 kilos and counting

lost for this week, 1.4 kilos... getting there.
Nunu

Postby warriorsgirl » Mon Jan 19, 2009 11:46 am

[quote="Nunu"]I was told that its easier to burn fat if you exercise before eating breakfast.. i dont know how true this is, but i used to do it.. and i found it really good, i dont know if i could do it anymore.[quote]

My personal trainer has told me to gym in the morning before a meals as it burns more fat, bcuz your body is using the fat to keep energy level up instead of carbs. This may only work well wif ppl who have a lot to loose tho... I enjoy getting up early to gym, I just make sure I have a big bottle of water wif me.
warriorsgirl

Postby Mogget » Mon Jul 20, 2009 11:07 am

I ea a small serve of miniwheats or a ahandful of almonds and raisins before my morning training and it really helps me go harderl.
I never thought I would witness the destruction of a Universe whilst carrying a naked merchant banker...

Mogget

Postby onthedecrease » Mon Jul 27, 2009 4:41 pm

my trainer told me to never come to the gym without eating breakfast as your doing your body more harm than good- you should be having breakfast within 30mins of waking up to stave off starvation mode and then head to the gym if thats your routine, if your working out without food in your body its not fat your burning but rather muscles as thats the only fuel your body has.
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wvgjwLj/]
[/url]
onthedecrease

Postby grant lofthouse » Wed Aug 04, 2010 12:59 pm

We train to get results, the only way we get results is through our performance, diet and recovery.

I personally tell all my clients to eat before they train in the morning. Doesnt have to be a sit down meal but just something like a few pieces of fruit will help. I've noticed that if they dont they will have no enegy and break down (even sometimes faint)

If you cannot give everything you got when you train then you really wasting your time. No food equals no energy equals bad training performance.

I like to have a shake in the mornining with cocnut milk, spinach (you cant taste it), banana, protein powder, mixed berries and cinamin

Its extremely filling and the good thing is that because its a liquid you'll find that you wont feel like you have forced yourself to the point of feeling sick

hope I helped

Grant
Last edited by Jisgone on Fri Aug 06, 2010 10:17 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Link removed from signature. Please refer to forum rules.
grant lofthouse

Postby daniel_cecil » Tue Sep 04, 2012 12:15 am

i know how u feel. i cant exercise if i eat full meal in the morning or i would throw up. so i have a shake with bout 300ml of milk with banana and three strawberrys. mixed in tablespoon of raw cocao and tablespoon of milo and blend it all together. then after training i have my main breakfest.
daniel_cecil

Postby Royalte » Thu Sep 26, 2013 3:39 pm

I eat before i go-usually just a piece of multigrain bread with cottage cheese on it and a glass of water...then a protein shake afterwards
Royalte

Next

Return to Gym Junkies Club