It is currently Sun Dec 11, 2016 3:32 am

Free Newsletter

Starting gym

A place for gym junkies to talk gym.

Moderator: Moderators

Starting gym

Postby willpowered » Sat May 30, 2009 1:11 am

Hi! I'm totally new here, at gyming,at being serious about losing weight,at being fit..... I gained only 8kgs during my pregnancy and have been gaining since! My son is nearly 2 and I'm very unfit!

I've joined a gym and will be attending my first exercise session tomorrow. I needed some advice abt the workout routine for a newbie....what should I do there and for how long? Should I stretch before starting and then go on the treadmill? Should I do some weights? If I was left to my own device, I'd just stand there,watch telly and leave..

Please help me make the right start!

M&M
willpowered

Re: Starting gym

Postby Gordz » Sat May 30, 2009 3:12 pm

gday WP/ M&M, does this gym not have an instructor or an assessor? You'll find most gyms have someone that will not only 'assess' you, (take measurements, weights, BMI, BF% etc) but actually draw you up an exercising plan or circuit to work the areas you need. best of all, if you have bought a membership, it's free!
Aussie Male, 26, 194cm.

Start date: 12/8/2013
Highest - 144.8kg

Current - 141.3kg

Goal - 110kg

3.5kg lost

31.3kg to go
Gordz

Postby willpowered » Sun May 31, 2009 1:49 am

I did get assessed the first day and the next time was shown how to use the cross trainer and the rowing machine...That's it. If I'm not paying extra for the personal trainer then I'm on my own next time. I had an 18 year old for these 2 sessions and she put me on those 2 machines for a total of 30 minutes. which was too much for me for a first day! :shock:
willpowered

Postby Gordz » Sun May 31, 2009 8:43 pm

that sounds pretty poor to me WP, what two machines? And what shape are you in?
Aussie Male, 26, 194cm.

Start date: 12/8/2013
Highest - 144.8kg

Current - 141.3kg

Goal - 110kg

3.5kg lost

31.3kg to go
Gordz

Postby willpowered » Tue Jun 02, 2009 12:37 am

Thanx for replying Gordz.

First i was at the exercise bike for 10 minutes.Then 15 minutes at the cross trainer and then 6 min at the rowing machine. At the rowing machine,I felt like somebody had set my calf muscles on fire.

I'm 5'5" and 86 kgs!I've never been fat in my whole life or even out of shape. I played serious table tennis many years ago and was very active. After my first day at the gym I was fine, then I went to play table tennis for 45 min..nearly every single muscle in my body is aching!
I'd like to build stamina and would like some strength back,I'm sure I'll lose weight in the process. :-) but I don't know where to start....tomorrow,I'm on my own and I don't even know how to turn a treadmill on! :-(
willpowered

Return to Gym Junkies Club