It is currently Thu Sep 29, 2016 12:36 pm

Free Newsletter

Help

A place for gym junkies to talk gym.

Moderator: Moderators

Help

Postby Summer23 » Fri Aug 28, 2009 4:06 pm

Hi Everyone,

I have trouble with getting myself to the gym- i have a great membership i get the pools, saunas, spa, all gym classes and the gym but i cant find the motivation to go!! Its not that i'm lazy, i always feel tired and i am a little shy going to the gym classes by myself. I need help.

If anyone has any ideas please let me know!!!

Summer :cry:
Summer23

Re: Help

Postby onthedecrease » Sat Aug 29, 2009 12:41 pm

Hi summer,

I was exactly the same which is one of the main reasons why i never had a gym membership, and then one day i thought stuff this Im going to join. So i looked at all the gyms around town, and decided on one that was close, had a great price and was a good environment. For that first week or two it was a bit intimidating- but the hardest part is overcoming that mental barrier that everyone is watching you- and guess what in reality everyone is so focused on themselves that they wont even notice you!

No one can motivate you but you! Maybe try doing a star chart and aim to go to the gym or a class three times or what ever you want and when you get 25stars or something reward yourself, maybe a new gym top or something. With the classes just go into one, introduce yourself to the instructer if you havent done it before and just get started- there really isint some magical panacea, the only way you will meet people is to go along and introduce yourself. Perhaps try a less intense class like aqua or aero to begin with as theres more time to talk than in balance or pump or attack.

best of luck- hope you brave up and get to the gym it really is worth it.
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wvgjwLj/]
[/url]
onthedecrease

Postby MelbArtist » Fri Sep 11, 2009 12:12 am

Hey Summer,
I struggle with this too. But I find downloading workouts to my Ipod really helps. At the moment i really like Cardio Coach. I feel really energised and positive working out listening to them compared to bored and flat just on the treadmill without them.
Often I feel shy too, especially with all the buff people lifting weights in front of the mirrors, but I just try not to let it stop me. And I try to hold on to knowing that I will feel better for going when I have finished.
I also like doing the BodyBalance class regularly. I find its a more open class, and I don't feel so down on myself if i can't keep up. And trying to schedule it into my week keeps me getting to the gym.
Good luck.
MelbArtist

Postby Summer23 » Sun Sep 13, 2009 3:41 pm

Hi All,

Thanks for both of your replys. I have started back at the gym been there 4 times this week which is really good for me!! I am having a meeting tomorrow night with my gym instructor which will be good to start up a new exercise plan. I am going to start boxing in a fortnight which will be interesting!!! I also dragged one of my friend to the gym on Friday- was good, made me work harder-even though she called me a 'evil instructor' haha. Dunno if she will be back!!!

Take care!! :D
Summer23

Postby onthedecrease » Mon Sep 14, 2009 3:05 pm

Well done Summer, Im really happy to hear your back into the gym. Keep up the fantastic work :D
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wvgjwLj/]
[/url]
onthedecrease

Return to Gym Junkies Club