It is currently Sun Dec 04, 2016 12:45 am

Free Newsletter

Classes v Do-It-Yourself Workouts

A place for gym junkies to talk gym.

Moderator: Moderators

Classes v Do-It-Yourself Workouts

Postby Mandie » Mon Nov 13, 2006 11:47 am

What do you prefer?

Personally, I think classes push me WAY harder than I would push myself, and I seem to get a lot more out of them. However, they are not always on at the most convenient times of the day for me, and so I often do my own workout instead.

My favourite classes are Body Pump, Body Attack, and Body Combat.

What do you do? Do you prefer your own workout (and if so, what do you do exactly?) or do you prefer classes (and if so, what ones are your favourites and why?), and why?

Wow that was a long question. If anyone figures out what I'm talking about, feel free to answer.. hehe :oops: :lol:
Mandie

Postby kate_turner2000 » Mon Nov 13, 2006 12:19 pm

Hi mandie

i think gyms are great and there are lots you can do to push yourself. i did the gym when i was at school and really enjoyed it :) unfortunately i cant afford to use a gym at this point in time due to the fact that we are on one income and i have a 11 month old that i have to look after. however i enjoy doing my dvd workouts at home when heidi is having a nap :) also i have been doing some weights around my house using items from around my home. i like the fact that i can pump my stereo or watch a dvd at the same time too. if i had lots of money though i would definately invest in a gym membership :)
kate_turner2000

Postby Mandie » Mon Nov 13, 2006 12:39 pm

yeah gyms can be super expensive.. that was a good motivator for me though, I put a lot of money into my gym membership so now I HAVE to go, otherwise it's a waste! hehe

I think its great how much exercise you do around the house. I like doing exercise DVDs but I can only do them when both my parents are out because of the way our house is set up, its very open plan and the only place big enough for me to work out (where there is a tv) is the family room, and there's always someone in here or walking through and I'm too embarrassed then! My dad works from home so he is usually here and there are often customers as well! and in the evening mum and dad are usually watching TV.

Maybe if I visit you, we can do exercise DVDs together, and if you visit me, I'll get you a guest pass to my gym, what do you think? :D
(oh yes, and also get Qantas to sponsor our plane tickets..h mm)
Mandie

Postby KimE » Tue Nov 14, 2006 4:04 pm

I mainly use the gym these days for cardio workouts during my lunch break during the week. So I will go 3-5 times a week and on the days I don't get to the gym I go for a brisk walk instead so I still manage some sort of cardio workout at least 5 times per week.

I love classes but hardly ever make them for a number of reasons but mostly because it is an hour round trip just going to the gym from where I live. Saturdays I find I am too busy with shopping, cleaning etc and I haven't been to the Body Pump class since I bought my own weight equipment. When on holidays or have a day off I will go and do cardio or a class if there is anything I fancy. I love the atmosphere at the gym and classes are a lot of fun. I've tried Body Jam and Body Pump. Would love to try Body Attack and Body Combat just a bit hesitant if they are too high impact or not.
Kim - To thine own self be true
Maintainence since 04/11/06
Preferred Weight - Under 60 kgs
Current Weight - 64.8 kgs
Start Weight - 85 kgs
KimE

Postby kate_turner2000 » Tue Nov 14, 2006 5:22 pm

sounds good mandie but what will i do over there in perth on my own when you are overseas? lol
kate_turner2000

Postby aliciacooper » Fri Dec 01, 2006 2:56 pm

Hi Mandie,

It sounds like we both enjoy the same type of classes, my favourite are Body Step and Body Attack but my absolute favourite is RPM (Spin Bike Classes!!!!) I sweat and sweat and sweat they go for 45 minutes and you burn around 500 calories, I love it I love it I love it :D :D :D
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]
[/url]
aliciacooper

Postby KimE » Fri Dec 01, 2006 4:56 pm

Hmmm those spin classes sound good, I will have to look into the times at my local.
Kim - To thine own self be true
Maintainence since 04/11/06
Preferred Weight - Under 60 kgs
Current Weight - 64.8 kgs
Start Weight - 85 kgs
KimE

Postby zeedeveelgirl » Sun Dec 24, 2006 6:24 pm

I love a good workout on the cardio machines and free weights, and I also go for walks and bike rides, but for me nothing beats the rush of doing a class...

I do Body Pump, RPM and another class called Kickboxercise which is a 1 hour class circuit-style involving punching, kicking, pushups, tricep dips, skipping, speedball, squats, lunges, running, step ups and focus-pad work. I also love Body Combat but they don't have it at my gym :( :(
I love the music in the classes, and the motivation that the instructor gives, especially when they single you out in a class :D

Nope, nothing beats the classes for me :D
zeedeveelgirl

Postby Aquagirl » Thu Jan 25, 2007 11:34 am

I am definately one for the classes. It pushes me alot harder than I would on my own.

I love RPM. Its the best! I also love Body Pump. I also do Yoga. :D
Aquagirl

Return to Gym Junkies Club