It is currently Sun Dec 04, 2016 4:45 am

Free Newsletter

Rowing Machine

A place for gym junkies to talk gym.

Moderator: Moderators

Rowing Machine

Postby KimE » Tue Feb 06, 2007 8:10 pm

I tried the rowing machine at the hotel gym during the weekend. Love the no impact on the legs bit. I find most cardio machines or cardio in general for that matter focus on the legs, primarily I think because it is easier to use the large muscles in the legs to get the heart rate up. So I finally got on the rower and absolutely loved it. I was getting an upper body workout too and I know they say the cross trainer does this but I don't really feel it on that machine. Now the last time I went on a rower was at the induction when I joined the gym and haven't tried one since. For those of you out there who use this machine regularly do you have any tips? Are you supposed to keep the back straight...I vaguely remember someone saying something about this. Do I just jump on and go hell for leather or pace myself? What muscles does this work?
Kim - To thine own self be true
Maintainence since 04/11/06
Preferred Weight - Under 60 kgs
Current Weight - 64.8 kgs
Start Weight - 85 kgs
KimE

Postby Jisgone » Tue Feb 06, 2007 8:18 pm

i just got taught how to use one! back straight and push your boobs out!! also u should be doing 90% of the work with your legs not your arms, put your feet in the straps and when you push backwards pull your feet back against the straps at an angle to stop your legs from going straight, then push your feet back down flat to start u slding back into a bent position
oh it is so hard to explain :P
Jisgone

Postby zeedeveelgirl » Tue Feb 06, 2007 9:33 pm

Kim -

Yup, make sure you sit up tall, shoulders back, pull your belly button into your spine so that you really support your lower back.
Make sure you pull the handles into the very lower part of your belly, push off through your heels but don't lock your knees out.
Bring the handles back forward so that they're only about 15cm away from the screen/front of the machine (if that makes sense??). This will slow your strokes per minute speed down, however it will increase your distance rowed massively.

I think that's pretty much it :) Have fun! I love the rower!!
Em
zeedeveelgirl

Postby KimE » Wed Feb 07, 2007 5:18 pm

Thanks gals. I asked one of the chappies at the gym who also said to let the bar/handle slide back down over my thighs before raising the knees as I could knock my knees with the bar. He also said to bring it in low on the belly. Will work on technique first to get that right but it really is quite enjoyable. Have found the cycle really gives me the irates.

Hey I also think I finally figured out why the cross trainer doesn't prepare you for running like I thought it would. I am thinking it isn't weight bearing so although you get an awesome cardio workout your body isn't feeling it's own weight like it does when you run. Just a thought.
Start Weight - 85 kgs
KimE

Postby zeedeveelgirl » Wed Feb 07, 2007 7:21 pm

Yup you're right about the cross trainer, Kim! The cross trainer is non-impact and not weight bearing so while the actual movement is a jogging-style one, it's nothing like actual running!
zeedeveelgirl

Postby SarahC » Thu Feb 08, 2007 7:17 am

I love the rower too! The only one I can use though is the "Concept 2" type... all the other ones, my feet just come right out :( Damn having small feet!!

I was also told once to not let the bar stop at the start and end of the movement, ie, keep the motion fluid. When you stop for a second, the fan thingy inside stops and then has to start up again, which makes the excercise a lot harder. Also, keeping your arms high, not dropping them down near your feet (as I do lol) also helps..
SarahC

Postby Simmy » Thu Feb 08, 2007 7:40 pm

Thanks Kim for the info on the cross trainer not being weight bearing! That makes sense now. I hate the treadmill - I feel so heavy. The cross trainer I find heaps easier to do the exercise! I also love the rower. I normally end my cardio with 5 minutes of intense rowing. It's awesome!
Simmy

Postby KimE » Fri Feb 09, 2007 4:52 pm

I know what you mean Simmy and I couldn't figure out why I could go so hard on the cross trainer and then feel like I was gonna die after a minute running. Have improved that now and it's funny as some other exercise feel easier because of it.

Rowing is going good. Did 11 mins today and managed 2kms so have no idea if that is good or not but it was good for me I reckon. Then finished off with a hard slog on the cross trainer so I really enjoyed the workout and feel like I am doing things a bit differently. Still working on technique here so I have to think a bit more about what I am doing but its fun.

Sarah the rower is a Concept 2 I noticed today and had a chuckle as my feet fit nicely into it. What are all the programs like? I pressed the 'just row' button but couldn't help being curious. Don't want to hog the machines as they only have 3 there and are being used fairly regularly. Hehe still it's at the front where the weights are done so there is some eye candy too...I know...I am naughty! Pump it, pump it! :D
Start Weight - 85 kgs
KimE

Postby Ally » Sun Feb 11, 2007 7:08 am

hahahahahaaha Kim.....you naughty girl!!! However whatever floats your boat mate!! If it takes looking at some "eyecandy" to get the job done, then what is the harm??? LOL. There is nothing wrong with a bit of window shopping as long as you don't buy anything! :wink:
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wGLHYSm/]
[/url]
Ally

Postby KimE » Sun Feb 11, 2007 8:39 am

Hehe yeah some of these guys are seriously built and as much as they have very tasty looking bods I can appreciate how much work they have to put in to get there.

LOL Ally, window shopping only as I have already bought and mines a keeper! Have even thrown away the receipt so I can't get a refund! :D
Start Weight - 85 kgs
KimE

Postby Ally » Sun Feb 11, 2007 9:21 am

hhehehehe Yeah I did the same with my 'purchase' Kim...threw away the receipt years ago!! Sometimes though I wonder if I should have kept it!!! hahahaha just kidding (I have the best husband in the world!!)
[/url]
Ally

Postby KimE » Sat Mar 03, 2007 9:01 am

I broke the rowing machine at the gym. :oops:

I pulled back and the whole thing came with me, the chains just kinda dangling there. I'm like holy @#$%, the chap next to me said I was too strong. :lol: I thought it felt a little off when I first started using it. I had it set the same and was having a real job actually rowing and was going a fair bit slower than usual.
Start Weight - 85 kgs
KimE

Postby Ally » Sat Mar 03, 2007 9:09 am

BWWAAAHHHHAAAHHAA!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: sorry mate but please excuse me while I pick myself up off the floor and wipe the tears of laughter of my face!!!

Ok, outburst contained....wait.....no.....hang on.....there done!!

On the serious side you didn't hurt yourself did you??? I hope not!! I thought they were supposed to do maintainence checks on their equiptment???
[/url]
Ally

Postby KimE » Sat Mar 03, 2007 9:13 am

LOL don't worry Ally I thought it was funny too. No I didn't hurt myself and was 2 mins off finishing my workout so I was like...no biggie I'm done anyway. I don't know how regularly they check the machines, oh well now they have to get it fixed. Glad it wasn't mine. :D
Start Weight - 85 kgs
KimE

Postby Ally » Sat Mar 03, 2007 9:15 am

I bet you were!! Imagine the cost of getting that fixed!! LOL...I am still giggling, I just can't get that image out of my head!! :P
[/url]
Ally

Next

Return to Gym Junkies Club