It is currently Sun Dec 04, 2016 11:19 pm

Free Newsletter

Rowing Machine

A place for gym junkies to talk gym.

Moderator: Moderators

Postby zeedeveelgirl » Fri Mar 23, 2007 11:58 am

Hiya

By "weight loss impact", do you mean does one machine cause you to lose weight more so than the other??
If that's what you mean, than it's completely dependant on the intensity you work at and the person. If you hate the cross trainer, then you're not likely to stay on it for a decent amount of time and work at a good intensity. Same goes for the rower.
I'd say they're about equal in how many calories they burn. Just make sure that you're not slacking off while you're doing it and you'll be fine :P :P

Em
zeedeveelgirl

Postby bluebox451 » Fri Mar 23, 2007 12:34 pm

I personally find the cross trainer much easier then the rower (yes, it depends on your intensity) but my heart rate is much higher going easy on the rower compared to going easy on the crosstrainer. Then again, you can probably stay on the crosstrainer longer. I usually do about 2000metres on the rower (about 8 or 9 mins) and its quite hard. Then I will spend the remaining time of my workout jogging on the tready.
I usually tell my clients that the more weight bearing exercise you do the better. Eg. walking, jogging, skipping, even using dumbells instead of machines. The non-weight bearing exercises such as bike, crosstrainer, rower, using a leg press machine instead of squats with bar or dumbells etc, etc are good too, especially for beginners or people with back/knee injuries but its up to you and how much intensity you want to use in your workouts. My own opinion is that weight bearing exercises may burn more calories, help with bone strength, are better for working your core muscles and good for posture. Hope that helps.
Liz. :D
bluebox451

Previous

Return to Gym Junkies Club