It is currently Wed Oct 26, 2016 8:23 pm

Free Newsletter

You can do it at any age

A place for gym junkies to talk gym.

Moderator: Moderators

You can do it at any age

Postby Chelle » Sun Mar 25, 2007 11:30 pm

I live in Port Macquarie, & which has a pretty high population of old people. I am just amazed at my gym that I go to I rekon that 40% of members are pensioner. The oldies I mean 70, 80 & 90 years old are there getting fit at the gym, good on them, I mean some of them for instence this lady who is 87 years old who back in her day run triathons, is doing a high energy, body combat & body sculpt (weight) classes & is there every day & dosent just finish the class she will go on the treadmill after. There is this guy, that does the body sculpt & high energy class & run for 1/2 an hour on the treadmill & lift weights, I thought he was in his 40's but to my amazed he turned 70 on friday does not look like it at all. So I think age does not matter, if they can do it so can I, I would never ever thought that people at that age would be doing that , I mean I would never catch my nan ever doing anything like that apart from walking every day. If they can have the effort to lift weight & do a cardio workout, then there is no excuse for me to miss out a work out.

Postby milkyway » Sun Mar 25, 2007 11:42 pm

Wow - that is inspiring, Chelle.

When I used to do karate, our Grand Master came out from Japan every year. I thought he looked like he was in his late forties but was surprised to learn he was in his seventies! He was lightening fast, too.

My mum is almost 70 and she gets out there gives it a go. She does "old ladies" yoga (that's how she describes it) and walks at least 4-5km per day, every day, rain, hail or shine and oh boy does she set a cracking pace! She used to go to the gym regularly too until recurrent injuries forced her to give it up. And sometimes Tai Chi.

It's only been in recent years that she got into it, too to help her fight against osteoperosis and it's working, too :)
Just keep moving! And don't be lazy...
SW: 74.3kg - 1/1/09
CW: 71.1kg - 3/5/09
GW 62kg

Postby kate_turner2000 » Mon Mar 26, 2007 7:59 am

i went overseas to africa hiking with this gentlemans son who is in his 60's i reckon! and him and his dad walk all the time. its awesome. i always send them xmas cards and keep in touch. it does go to show that these people can conquer anything :)

Postby Ally » Mon Mar 26, 2007 10:43 am

Wow!! That is great Chelle...good on them for looking after their bodies!!

That is a great website Kate!!

Return to Gym Junkies Club