It is currently Thu Dec 08, 2016 5:18 am

Free Newsletter

Gym Junkie??

A place for gym junkies to talk gym.

Moderator: Moderators

Gym Junkie??

Postby SarahC » Tue Apr 17, 2007 10:00 am

I was watching (read: listening to while doing other things!) What's Good For You last night, and thought this would be interesting. This is a quote from the Channel 9 website:

"We're all told to get plenty of exercise, but when should you stop? We've just proven that too much exercise can actually be bad for your body. But what can it do to your mind? Can you really become an exercise junkie?

Adelaide-based sports psychologist, Dr Eugene Aidman has been studying athletes to find out how exercise affects the way they think and feel. In a recent trial involving 60 Victorian club runners, Dr Aidman sneakily deprived some of them of their daily fix, to see how it affected their mood.

"Not only the anger and the depression went up in the group that actually missed their schedule training, but also the fatigue," he found.

Going cold turkey on exercise can produce similar withdrawal symptoms to hard drugs. That's because intense exercise releases endorphins, our body's natural opiates, giving us so-called "natural highs".

Exercise junkies take their fitness routines to extremes — but what are the warning signs you've gone from a habit to an addiction?

Lets start with a few pointed questions:

- Do you need longer, more intense work outs to get your daily hit?
- Do you feel tired and irritated when you miss a session?
- When you get a minor injury, do you keep training?
- Are your work or relationship commitments starting to take second place to the gym?

If you said yes to any of those, it'd be a good idea to take a long hard look at your approach to exercise.

"People with obsessions tend to deny them. You ask any gym junkie whether they're obsessed with their exercise, they'll say no," says Dr Aidman."

I answered "yes" to all four of the questions :shock: :shock:

It's interesting though about the athletes feeling tired if they miss an excercise session. My mum always says to me when I complain of being tired that I should cut back on my excercise, or give the gym a miss for one day.... I keep telling her that if I did that I'd only be tireder! Ha :twisted:
SarahC

Postby zeedeveelgirl » Tue Apr 17, 2007 11:27 pm

Bahah so did I Sarah, yes to every one of them!!
We should start a gym junkies anonymous ;)
What's wrong with loving the gym?!?! :evil: :evil:
zeedeveelgirl

Postby bluebox451 » Wed Apr 18, 2007 4:06 pm

Ooops :oops: me too :roll: :roll:
bluebox451

Postby KimE » Wed Apr 18, 2007 9:10 pm

- Do you need longer, more intense work outs to get your daily hit?
No, that's one good thing about working out during a fixed lunch break time I can't go longer although when I was at home I did go for longer but the intensity was less than usual.

- Do you feel tired and irritated when you miss a session?
Irritated yes, tired no. Don't really like to miss my sessions as I usually have one day a week off as it is.....usually.

- When you get a minor injury, do you keep training?
Wellll.....ummm maybe. Hey it depends on the injury right?

- Are your work or relationship commitments starting to take second place to the gym?
What, you mean those pesky friends inviting me for lunch when they know that is my workout time! :twisted: I do on occasion skip my workout to go to lunch with friends or because of a heavy workload or deadline. But then....I just do Tae Bo when I get home. :D

Are we all lost causes then?
Kim - To thine own self be true
Maintainence since 04/11/06
Preferred Weight - Under 60 kgs
Current Weight - 64.8 kgs
Start Weight - 85 kgs
KimE

Return to Gym Junkies Club