It is currently Thu Sep 29, 2016 9:11 am

Free Newsletter

OW OW OUCH!!

A place for gym junkies to talk gym.

Moderator: Moderators

OW OW OUCH!!

Postby vanessa0305 » Sat Jun 23, 2007 10:34 am

Ok so I started at the new gym on Thursday. Thursday I did weights and cardio and the next day felt a little sore but ok. Friday I did a circuit breaker class and today I hurt....a lot!! What do I do now? I can barely sit on the loo without hurting!! I did stretch after the class. I feel so sore, I don't think I can do the gym today.
Vanessa

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/woi7sgh/]
[/url]
vanessa0305

Postby Ally » Sat Jun 23, 2007 10:52 am

have a salt bath......they make you really weak straight after, but they work great for sore and aching muscles!!
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wGLHYSm/]
[/url]
Ally

Postby kate_turner2000 » Sat Jun 23, 2007 12:08 pm

GET THOSE EPSOM SALTS OUT OR RADAX AND HAVE A NICE LONG BATH AND THEN GET YOUR PARTNER TO RUB SOME DEEP HEAT OR GOANNA OIL IN TO YOU!
kate_turner2000

Postby milkyway » Sun Jun 24, 2007 1:26 pm

Hi Vanessa - build some rest days into your exercise program as your body needs them to fully recouperate or you'll burn yourself out and risk injury. It's OK to not go to the gym every day, especially when you're feeling sore.

I had the sorest stomach muscles this week because at my taekwondo class on Tuesday night, all we did was somersaults for an hour and various dive and judo rolls :shock: Who woulda thought somersaults would kill your stomach muscles??? Lasted for about 3 days!!!

I took Friday off and just did a light walk yesterday but will be back into it again today :)

Are you enjoying the gym?
Just keep moving! And don't be lazy...
------------------------
SW: 74.3kg - 1/1/09
CW: 71.1kg - 3/5/09
GW 62kg
milkyway

Postby sassi » Sun Jun 24, 2007 1:55 pm

i actually love the burn after a big workout - i play hockey and after the first game of the season i'm like a robot trying to walk for the next couple of days :lol:

vanessa - does your gym have a pool? i used to go for a swim (and maybe jump in the sauna or spa afterwards) when i felt like that.

nothing wrong with having a day off though.

another thing a couple of PTs have told me is that if you have a big session like that, try and go for a walk afterwards because it helps the lactic acid in your muscles dissipate. not sure if i've got all the terminology right but it's the same theory as footballers walking the boundary line when they're going to the bench - just lets the body adjust etc.
sassi

Postby milkyway » Sun Jun 24, 2007 2:12 pm

Icing sore muscles in the first 24 hours is also really helpful - and an ice bath - like how the footballers go for a swim in the cold cold water... After doing really long hikes I would run the cold water over my hips, thighs and calves for a few mins (or as long as I could stand it) and I found although excruitiatingly uncomfortable, it really helps :P
Just keep moving! And don't be lazy...
------------------------
SW: 74.3kg - 1/1/09
CW: 71.1kg - 3/5/09
GW 62kg
milkyway

Postby vanessa0305 » Sun Jun 24, 2007 8:40 pm

Ok so I took a full day off from the gym and today went in for a cardio and weights workout. I did almost an hour between the treadmill, bike and rowing machine. And 1/2hr of weights. I actually felt sick afterwards. Wonder if I worked a bit too hard. Anyway after a quick chuck I felt much better. And I love the feeling of working out and having done what I needed to!
Vanessa

[/url]
vanessa0305

Postby Chelle » Sun Jun 24, 2007 11:43 pm

You need rest days especially if you are doing weights!!!!

But I love the feeling of being sore because I know that it has worked. But on the other hand I go to the gym when I'm sore becase when my muscles are sore when they are wormed up thay arnt until after the session. But deffinatly have rest days otherwise you will burn youself out.
Chelle

Postby vanessa0305 » Mon Jun 25, 2007 1:00 pm

I am certainly going to add some rest days. I wont do weights two days in a row. So today I did the circuit breaker class again. I am also going to take up Volley Ball on Tuesday mornings after the school holidays. Tomorrow I am going to do the body pump session and then Wednesday I will do body balance and cardio. Thursday I will do weights and cardio and Friday I will do the circuit breaker class again. I will take Saturdays off and Sundays do weights and cardio.

Does this sound ok? I still need to lose about 5kgs. So I am hoping that with a good diet I should get down.

Of course life gets in the way and there will be classes I can't make. I know one Friday I have a dentist appointment which will mean no day class. I might try for a night class instead after OH gets home.
Vanessa

[/url]
vanessa0305

Postby phatcappy » Mon Dec 31, 2007 5:52 pm

after doing if for about 2 weeks you should find that you dont ache the next day. or at least thats how it worked for me
Start Weight: 109 Kg's

Current Weight: 91.2 Kg's

Mini Goal Weight:90 Kg's

Ultimate Goal Weight: 83 Kg's
phatcappy

Return to Gym Junkies Club