It is currently Thu Dec 08, 2016 1:05 pm

Free Newsletter

Gyms...

A place for gym junkies to talk gym.

Moderator: Moderators

Gyms...

Postby AussieGuy » Wed Oct 10, 2007 11:02 pm

Hi guys need some help here i'm about 125 kgs and i'm thinking about joining a gym...Just want to know afew things first...

1 Am i better of just losing weight first before i join a gym.

2 Am i better of joing the gym to lose weight.

Or is it worth buying a home gym for home...

U have looked on ebay have there have some great home gyms but not sure..
AussieGuy

Postby Chelle » Thu Oct 11, 2007 8:01 am

For me I'm more motivated to exercise at the gym than a home gym. And at the gym you can have a P.T to help you in the right direction with an exercise plan I get a new cardio & weight routine every 2 month's at my gym & I dont pay any money for it. But you could see a doctor or a nutrientist to help you lose weight aswell, they can help you with setting out what you should be eating.
You could trial the gym with a 6 week pass or 3 month to see if you like it. But if you feel more motivated to exercise at home then buy a home gym what ever is more benificial to you. But get started straight away with exercise & eating right & drinking lots of water & should start to see the Kg shed straight away.
Chelle

Postby SarahC » Thu Oct 11, 2007 8:52 am

I have got both: a gym membership and a home gym. I find that I enjoy the gym membership a lot more, there is more atmosphere at the gym and it's more motivating. I find I get distracted very easily when working out at home, which makes my workouts waaayy longer than they need to be! The home gym is useful though when I need to workout at times when the gym isn't open, or I don't feel like going out.

Maybe have a look at http://www.gymlink.com.au as they have a lot of free trial offers on there, so you could try out a few gyms in your local area and see if you like them (also, any good gym should let you have a free workout if you are thinking of joining... if not, I wouldn't even consider joining!)

You can also rent-to-buy a lot of gym equipment, ie, you rent it initially then if you decide to buy, they take the amount of rent you have paid off the purchase price.

Hope that helps :)
SarahC

Postby soon2bayummymummy » Thu Oct 11, 2007 10:51 am

Hey, i have a home gym. I love my exercise dvds, weights etc at home but i have 3 young kids and a hubby that works 2 jobs so its alot easier for me to be at home but if it wasnt i would only go to the gym for aerobics classes, goodluck with whatever u choose.
soon2bayummymummy

Postby Butterfly_Dawn » Thu Oct 11, 2007 11:18 am

The best exercise is the exercise you are going to stick with. And as far as losing weightbefore joining the gym...is that not what you are joining for, to lose fat (weight) and get fitter??

I would say (unless you have wads of cash going spare) that try a gym on casual fees for a while to get an idea of what it is like. If you like it and feel really motivated by the gym, get a membership. If you like the equipment, but the gym atmosphere is too much for you, get a home gym. If you just don't like the equipment at all but like the atmosphere, maybe try a team sport.

if you don't like the idea of just plain exercise and want to have some you time, maybe try jogging or walking or cycling.
35kg lost. (November 2005 - October 2006)
15kg gained again (as at October 2010).
Back to the drawing board - Let's do this thing!

"You can't change the winds, but you can change the sails"

"Reach out and take control of what lands in your lap"

Butterfly_Dawn

Postby Sas » Thu Oct 11, 2007 3:34 pm

I would hit the gym for a short trail period. Most gyms offer personal trainers who help you keep motivated and also ensure that you are doing the exercises correctly or most places will at least put a program together for you and work through it with you so you know how to do things properly.

I know when I first walked into my gym I was a little lost so to have a trainer write a program for me and go through it with me really helped me find my way around and not feel so unco.

Generally (not always though!) people get home gyms and stick with it for a bit then get bored with it. If you do want to get a home gym why don't you try renting one to begin with and then if you do find that you are really diligent with it then you can buy one. Good gym's a very expensive so unless you are sure you are going to get your money's worth I wouldn't go there.

Hope that helps a little :) Let us know what you decide :)
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wCSA5VJ/]
Sas

Postby AussieGuy » Thu Oct 11, 2007 10:41 pm

Thanks guys...What i'm thinking is joining a gym i know what i have to use...When i know what i'm doing then i buy my own stuff as i need it...

Looking at some gyms now and i might have found a good one...I want this more than gold and i want this so much...ATM i'm a fat slob and i so want to be like Batista on smackdown...

I can't bloody wait... :D :D :D :D :D
AussieGuy

Postby AussieGuy » Thu Oct 11, 2007 11:01 pm

This is what i want to look like...

AussieGuy

Postby kate_turner2000 » Fri Oct 12, 2007 8:21 am

he is spunky :) im sure you will achieve your goals if you set your mind to it :)
kate_turner2000

Postby Butterfly_Dawn » Fri Oct 12, 2007 9:32 am

woah, he's scary. I'm not in to muscle men myself. But hey, horses for corses and all that :wink:
35kg lost. (November 2005 - October 2006)
15kg gained again (as at October 2010).
Back to the drawing board - Let's do this thing!

"You can't change the winds, but you can change the sails"

"Reach out and take control of what lands in your lap"

Butterfly_Dawn

Postby AussieGuy » Sun Oct 14, 2007 8:03 pm

Doing a weeks trial at a gym not far from me...

Got shown around and we went into the weights room....I felt a little left out coz they have muchles and i don't...

Doing the weights is pretty inportant to me too so i will see what happens...
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wDURqC9/]
[/url]
AussieGuy

Postby soon2bayummymummy » Sun Oct 14, 2007 11:28 pm

mmm batista mmm john cena is yummier though hehe.
soon2bayummymummy

Postby soon2bayummymummy » Wed Oct 17, 2007 1:46 pm

in last months or is it this months ironman mag they had/have a article on batista.
soon2bayummymummy

Postby Chelle » Wed Oct 17, 2007 2:48 pm

Deffinately if you want atchieve what the pitchure looks like get a personal trainer to set you out a meal plan & get stuck into protein shakes & muscle gainer shakes there are expensive your looking at 50 - 150 a bottle depending on which one you like. Anything is possible you can deffianately put your mind to it & dedicated enough at the gym.
Chelle

Postby AussieGuy » Wed Oct 17, 2007 7:50 pm

Thanks guys...

Starting at gym tonight for the first time...So looking forward to it...
I have heard of protein shakes before so looks like i might have to try them...

Thanks again guys...
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wDURqC9/]
[/url]
AussieGuy

Next

Return to Gym Junkies Club