It is currently Fri Sep 30, 2016 12:31 am

Free Newsletter

Update - Jim

For those who have reached their target weight and want to stay there.

Moderator: Moderators

Update - Jim

Postby Aldebaran » Tue Sep 09, 2008 12:11 pm

I think some of you might remember me from way back (about 2-3 years ago). I'm still maintaining a healthy weight, and have been running 3-5km for the last year three times a week. I'm 52 by the way. I actually put on 5kg through the training, mainly from eating jellybeans for energy. Now that the event is past, I'll lose that in a couple of weeks by going back to exercising at 65% instead of 80%.

Entered the Bridge to Brisbane 5km run on the weekend and finished in just under 30 minutes. My best time in training was around 24 minutes, but it was a real challenge zigzagging through the walkers during the road race on Sunday.

Sprinting into the Ekka stadium at the end with crowds was totally awesome. I haven't quite got rid of the smile yet.

Next year I enter among the runners, so I get to start ahead of the pack.

All the best

- Jim
Attachments
DSC01171.jpg
DSC01171.jpg (56.03 KiB) Viewed 4357 times
Aldebaran

Re: Update - Jim

Postby SarahC » Tue Sep 09, 2008 3:07 pm

Hi Jim, I remember you. I think you left shortly after I joined! Congrats on your maintenance, that's excellent. Thanks for the update :D
SarahC

Postby Tarz » Tue Sep 09, 2008 5:15 pm

Hi Jim,
I wasn't on the forum when you were but just wanted to say the following:
Congrats on the run on Sunday. Another girl on the forum did the run on Sunday and was quite chuffed with herself as well. Must be a great feeling that end sprint when you can see the finish line getting closer.
Are you going to consider doing other runs or are you just gonna do that each year?
Tarz

Postby hippy_shake » Tue Sep 09, 2008 7:24 pm

Haha, that girl was me :D How nice was the weather? Such a good day for a run :) And yeah- I nearly ran into people by an accident a few times, I mean come on- 5 or 6 people walking together blocking up the road is just asking for trouble :roll: Have you got any more events lined up? That was my first and now I want MORE :D Finished the 5km in 36mins and was really happy with it as it was the first time I had ever run 5km! Sounds like you're going great with maintaining your new healthy lifestyle :)

Jane
Jane :)

SW:80- 21/05/08
CW:68.5
GW:60

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/w6qtd3I/]
hippy_shake

Postby Aldebaran » Thu Sep 11, 2008 9:34 am

Jane,

I'm glad you had as much fun as I did, and yes - 5-6 people walking side by side was a bit rude, especially near the start. I passed Ronald McDonald on the hill on the Inner City Bypass. He did well to run that well with a heavy costume and oversized shoes.

You did well to finish in 36 mins if you've never done 5km before. I think I could have done it in my best time if it wasn't for the walkers. I was just fueled on by adrenalin. The weather could not have been nicer. The hoses at the finish looked inviting, but the sensible side of me said that I shouldn't get wet.

Tara,

I think I'm hooked. I was looking for other fun runs on the weekend, and I might enter the Turtle Way 5k near Gladstone in October.

Next year, it's 10k or bust :lol:
Aldebaran

Return to The Maintenance Crew