It is currently Mon Jun 25, 2018 8:37 pm

Free Newsletter

Kim's Maintenance Progress

For those who have reached their target weight and want to stay there.

Moderator: Moderators

Postby KimE » Sun Jul 01, 2007 8:12 pm

Well I have finally got around to doing my diary. 8 months on and I have managed to stay under my 60kg goal. I did go over one week or at least the scales read over for one week which was the week after my 3 week holiday where I didn't exercise as much so it wasn't too much of a surprise. I know that going over 60kgs really isn't such a big deal in the scheme of things but I like to stay under my goal as I feel more in control that way.

So, since my last diary I have gotten a year older, had 3 weeks holiday which was very relaxing, bought myself my long awaited size 10 levis (very cool), changed gyms, finished the project I was working on at work and moved back to my old team with new responsibilities.

Over the end of May I had 3 weeks off work and did rather well all things considered. I didn't exercise as much at that time but still managed about 3 times a week. Unfortunately I slowed the running down to twice a week and in the 3rd had the old calf problem rear it's ugly head. Since then I haven't gotten back into it although I did try it a couple of times on the treadmill and found I still had problems. The first week of June was the first time I found my weight over the 60kg goal I initially set for myself. 3 weeks off work and my birthday as well as 2 other people at work having birthdays all combined to tipping the scales so I wasn't much surprised. Getting back to work just got me back into my exercise routine and getting back to regulating how much of the yummies I ingest!

Before going on holiday I had cancelled my Fitness First membership as it was coming up for 1 year and I had used it well. With a YMCA gym directly across the road from work I decided to join them instead and am very pleased too. Have started doing weights at the gym as they set up this program for me and their equipment is very cool and reminds me what I did last time so I can make sure I am increasing each time. I can also easily see when it is time to increase the weight. Love it! So my routine has changed somewhat and I am doing less cardio. Where I was doing 4-5 days during the week of cardio and trying to fit in 2 nights of weight training during the week (often this was only one session), I am now doing 2 days weight training and 2-3 days cardio during the week with additional exercise over the weekends. I find with this and making a habit of Tues and Thurs for weight training I am sticking to it so far. They also have an automated logging system that can be accessed online so I can always see how much exercise I have done and I just love graphs and all that sort of thing. With there being no contracts the people at the gym actually give a damn if you turn up or not and apparently get on your case if you don't go, shouldn't be a problem for me as I enjoy training. They even do regular fitness check ups, measurements and programs whenever you ask all part of the fee. Gonna try and fit in some of their classes soon as they do the spin classes during lunch and something called a warrior workout in the morning. So far I am making it in 4 days a week and am keen on keeping that up.

For my birthday I bought some new work and casual clothes. All the pants were size 10 yayyyy including the pair of levis that I have been hanging out to get since I went on maintenance. I could never fit into levis before and so didn't own any. Now I get compliments every time I wear them as they are very fitting. I have had enough of baggy jeans and wanted a pair that actually fit my bottom and legs, hubby thinks they look great!! I feel fantastic wearing them as well. Down side to my birthday is turning 39.....where the hell did that come from! I'm sure I'm only about 25.

Overall I am still hanging in there where my goal is concerned which is pleasing. I do find it hard to stay at exactly the weight I want to which is around 58kgs and tend to sit over that by a kilo, which as I said is really neither here nor there in the grand scheme of life. Still, I am proud of myself and thoroughly enjoy being a smaller me. I will aim to get to a monthly weigh in rather than weekly sometime soon as I feel that would be another step in the maintenance mind set. Not having to watch the scales weekly and knowing I am eating well enough and exercising enough to maintain without the constant peeking. It has become such a habit and I am finding it hard to break...or more acurately I am nervous to break it. I guess the fear of not weighing for a month only to find I have put on a couple of kilos would be a real pisser to say the least. However, I do feel for me it would be another great step on my journey to trust myself enough to weigh in monthly.

So that's it, I think I have rambled on quite enough for one day and will let you get back to your lives. Thanks for reading if you got this far, this site is still very much an inspiration for me. I still get on most days but don't have quite the time to get around all the personal progress threads to see how you are all going. Just remember to keep up the effort as it truly is worth all you put in to become a healthier person. We are all worth it.

Love
Kim
Kim - To thine own self be true
Maintainence since 04/11/06
Preferred Weight - Under 60 kgs
Current Weight - 64.8 kgs
Start Weight - 85 kgs
KimE

Postby zeedeveelgirl » Sun Jul 01, 2007 8:55 pm

Wow, Kim, 8 months of maintaining! And only having gone over 60kg once - that is FANTASTIC!! Well done girl, you have done such an excellent job. I know I've said it so many times before but you are such an inspiration to me and many others.

It sounds like a lot has gone on since your last update :D The new gym sounds fantastic. I'm so jealous of all that fancy equipment that you get to use!! I honestly don't think anywhere in Adelaide has equipment as good as that! What motivation to up your weights, it sounds like something I need!! That's bad luck about your calf issue coming up again :( Have you seen a massage therapist or anything about it? I can't remember if you'd said you'd gotten any medical advice about it. It could possibly be the way your feet are - pronating (rolling inwards) or supinating (rolling outwards) because that alters your walking and running biomechanics. Just a thought!

As for the new clothes - woohoo :D :D You definitely deserve those long-waited Size 10 Levi's, I'm sure they look fabulous on! It's amazing how many compliments you start getting when you start wearing fitted clothes, I've noticed the same thing since I've updated my wardrobe. It sounds like Frank is so proud of you, what a great hubby!

It was great to have an update from you, keep 'em coming :D
Em xoox
zeedeveelgirl

Postby milkyway » Sun Jul 01, 2007 10:10 pm

Hi Kim - it's always a pleasure and inspiration to read up on your maintenance program. Congrats on your 8th month of maintenance. It's one thing to lose the weight to start with, but another to maintain it once you get there.

It must have been so awesome to go shopping and buy a whole new lot of clothes - the Levi's sound fab. We want pics :P

What a shame about your running :( Have you considering getting your calf looked at by an osteo or similar physician? I used to get a niggle in my hip (well, it was more like broken shards of glass in there) and my Osteo sorted me right out in just two sessions. Well worth the $130 I spent :)
Just keep moving! And don't be lazy...
------------------------
SW: 74.3kg - 1/1/09
CW: 71.1kg - 3/5/09
GW 62kg
milkyway

Postby kate_turner2000 » Sun Jul 01, 2007 10:28 pm

hey there! first happy birthday !Image i hope you had a fab time and your new levi's are a great present for you :) hope you are enjoying your new gym and as i always say, you are a wonderful inspiration to people on this forum and me personally :) you are going great guns!
kate_turner2000

Postby zeedeveelgirl » Sun Jul 01, 2007 10:33 pm

Oh yes, I forgot - HAPPY BIRTHDAY KIM :D Don't worry about turning 39, you're only as young as you feel and trust me, you don't look 39 :) I'm sure you don't feel it either!!
zeedeveelgirl

Postby KimE » Mon Jul 02, 2007 7:18 pm

Thanks gals! :D

Much appreciated.

I'll keep an eye on the calf thing. It gave me no problems through the first 7 weeks of the cool running program. It wasn't until I started doing it only 2 times per week rather than 3 that it happened. Also at the time I wasn't doing as much exercise. I wonder if it prefers to be used and stretched regularly, dunno. Haven't been to see anyone about it as it happens intermittently although it probably doesn't sound like it given how much I whine about it. :roll: Anyway good news I jumped on the treadmill today and did 15 mins jogging and 20 mins walking although the jogging was broken up into little bits. Have decided to go back to the cool running program and make sure I stretch properly before and after.

I will get a pic of my new levis shortly. :D
Start Weight - 85 kgs
KimE

Postby SarahC » Thu Jul 05, 2007 11:56 am

Wow 8 months has gone by so quickly! Well done on maintaining your weight all this time, that's such an achievement. The new gym sounds very cool too. The automatic logging system sounds very interesting.

I find it hard to motivate myself to do much excercise after work as well. Before work is so much better.... if only there were more time though! I'm doing a bit less cardio/more weights as well, so hopefully we'll be seeing some great results :D

Looking forward to seeing the new jeans!
SarahC

Postby Ally » Thu Jul 05, 2007 12:21 pm

Hey Kim as usual I am lagging behind :roll: Thanks for your update I don't know how I managed to miss it :? .

Congratulations on your Levi's!! I bet you were over the moon the first time you slid them on!! Well done on maintaining your weight over the last 8 months.....again you are an inspiration, to show that you can still participate in day to day life and not have to sit on the sidelines. I guess the weight gain is part of it, but the important thing is getting those couple of kg's off straight away!!

Happy birthday for the other day too!! Hope you had a great day!!!
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wGLHYSm/]
[/url]
Ally

Postby KimE » Thu Jul 05, 2007 7:21 pm

Thanks Ally and Sarah it's been a while since I updated here so it's always a surprise to everyone including myself! :D

Ally I know what you mean about lagging I am terrible for it and sometimes come on and feel like I have been living in a cave and have no idea what is going on. I still loves you all though. :D

Sarah the logging system is very cool so each time you do weights using one of the machines it tells you how many reps and sets you did last time and the weight lifted for each set so you can see just what's to be done next. Less guessing. Only problem I am set up for very few machines as the PT's come and do that for you. They start you on a fairly basic program, chest press, wide grip lat pulldown, some other back thingy (technical I know), shoulder press, tricep pull down, leg press, abs. So I will look at increasing to other types of exercises shortly. Me likes the variety.
Start Weight - 85 kgs
KimE

Postby KimE » Tue Jul 17, 2007 7:53 pm

I usually only update here every month but thought I would tell you about the cardiosculpt class I went to today.

Thought it was a 45 min cardio class which was probably just as well it wasn't. If the instructor kept us going at the pace we started I would have carked it.

It turned out to be 15 mins cardio, 25 mins free weights, 5 mins stretching.

Also I had forgotten the endurance side of weights in a class like this, quite different to the usual weight program I do and I think will be a nice addition to my resistance training if my calf holds up for the cardio. Calf a bit tight now which is probably why I take it easy on the high impact cardio :roll: forgot about that. Starting the free weights part with lunge squats was oh so much fun and I don't remember having to hold for a count of 7 at the pump class. Crikey!! I actually did not make it through this class without stopping occasionally. Got through the cardio without a break but had to ease off a few times during the weights (my thighs were burning OK!:evil:). Something to work on I reckon. Doing 2 sets of leg presses with 45kgs is quite different to an entire song of lunge squats with 4kgs....I'll take the leg press any day. :D The instructor was cool and kept us working hard whilst taking into consideration different abilities.

All in all a great class I will do again that definitely challenged me. I have been dying to try some of the classes and being closer to work I can now fit some in.

Enough blah de blah from me. Bye for now. :D
Start Weight - 85 kgs
KimE

Postby kate_turner2000 » Tue Jul 17, 2007 8:13 pm

wow good on you for giving it a go kim. i bet you got through it better than some people. i would probably be dead on the floor from it lol. will this class be a regular for you?
kate_turner2000

Postby milkyway » Tue Jul 17, 2007 8:29 pm

That sounds full on, Kim! Burn baby burn. What are some of the other classes you want to try?
Just keep moving! And don't be lazy...
------------------------
SW: 74.3kg - 1/1/09
CW: 71.1kg - 3/5/09
GW 62kg
milkyway

Postby SarahC » Tue Jul 17, 2007 9:07 pm

Sounds like fun! Apart from the lunges... I can't do lunges I always lose my balance and nearly fall over. It is embarassing, I have to hold onto the wall or something :oops:
SarahC

Postby zeedeveelgirl » Tue Jul 17, 2007 9:34 pm

Sounds like you had good fun doing that class, Kim :D Good on you for giving something else a go! Do you think you'll make it a regular thing? The instructor will probably change the routine in the class fairly often which is always good, keeps you guessing :D
zeedeveelgirl

Postby KimE » Tue Jul 17, 2007 10:56 pm

Thanks gals it was fun.

I would like to do it once a week as with the weighted work I don't mind missing out on one of my sessions since this has some of that in it. Also I can always do a bit of free weights at home if I need to add more.

The other classes are cycle, boxing which are through lunch time on various days. Also something called warrior workout that is a circuit class only held early Wed morn. Wouldn't mind trying them all actually to see which I need. Plus the variety is always good, it's surprising how easy you slip into doing the same thing over and over.

I think this class is a work in progress as apparently it did start out as mainly cardio but over time and through feedback it has moved more to a resistance class with cardio.

LOL Sarah I get a bit wobbly on the lunges too and not having done them in a while I felt it in all the right places!
Start Weight - 85 kgs
KimE

PreviousNext

Return to The Maintenance Crew