It is currently Fri Sep 30, 2016 3:59 am

Free Newsletter

Sarah's Maintenance Plan

For those who have reached their target weight and want to stay there.

Moderator: Moderators

Sarah's Maintenance Plan

Postby SarahC » Mon Nov 06, 2006 3:40 pm

Well looks as though I have just about reached my target weight - yay!! BUT the challenge has only just begun. The REAL test for me will be to maintain my new weight. As I may have already mentioned, I have reached my goal weight of 49kg at least three times before, and the longest I've been able to stay there has been about a month :shock: The problem is that I reward myself with food, and lots of it. I have seen this starting to happen already this past week and I'm putting a stop to it now. I don't think that I could bear having to go through this one more time :cry:

I deliberately took extreme measures to lose the weight this time, putting myself on "diets" (never done that before) and excercising three times a day :shock: . Reason being so I would remember exactly how hard it was and to motivate myself to not undo all the hard work.

Here's what I've achieved:
- Loss of at least 5kg (from almost 55kg down to nearly 49kg)
- 7 cm lost from my waist (was 76cm, now approaching 69cm - amazing since my goal there was 72cm!)
- I can now comfortably fit into every single item in my wardrobe. Today I'm wearing the smallest pants I have and they're quite comfy. And tried on my smallest dress last week - zipped up no dramas and was a bit loose even :shock:
- I feel a bit more in control of my eating. And also feel less hungry since changing to a high protein/low carb diet. That's pretty major since beforehand I was almost always hungry :D

So... to maintain all these great things, I need a plan. And here it is:

Timeframe
Start: 6 Nov 06
Finish: 18 Feb 07
(I've just finished a similar plan, that also went for about three months. Didn't post it on here, but it's been on a bit of paper on my fridge. It expired yesterday lol)

Weight
- To be maintained under 50kg, but ideally at 49kg

Diet
- Continue include protein with every meal
- Continue avoiding high carb foods, especially bread/toast (my weakness), pasta, rice, corn thins/rice cakes (another weakness), sugary foods like chocolate and icecream.... etc!
- Maintain daily intake below 7000kJ, but allow one day per week to go no higher than 9000kJ.
- The food diary confession: I cheat! Sometimes I operate on an eat now pay later principle... meaning I can eat something now, and record it under a different day. This means, I could start off a day with as much as 2000kJ already written down from maybe a week ago! I will no longer do this.
- Eating at night: Another drama, I wake up during the night and eat :oops: I will stick to raw veggies only (celery, carrot, beans, etc.) But if absolutely necessary... one small snack, no more than 300kJ.
- I won't eat standing up in the kitchen! I'll put all my food on a plate or in a bowl, and I will SIT DOWN to eat it. (Gosh this will be a hard one :oops: )
- I will go to bed feeling slightly hungry (as opposed to stuffed stupid!)
- Continue drinking at least 2L of water a day... even on the weekends.

Excercise
- A good weights session (at least 20 mins, working all major muscle groups), 2 times a week. Includes cardio warmup.
- Abdominal workout, 2 times a week. Includes cardio warmup.
- Cardio workout, 2 times a week.
- The seventh day: something different. Could be a group excercise class, swimming, riding a bike, etc. To give my body a change!
- Still walking every lunchtime when I'm at work, and I will try to cut back my cardio at night to just 2-3 nights per week (if I can!)

Alcohol
- Sometimes a problem for me :oops: so the goal needs to be stated: Maximum 6 standard drinks per week.

Reporting
- I'll report my success or otherwise in here every week on Sunday.

*coming up for air*

Finally... a BIG THANK YOU to everyone on this forum! I could not have reached this stage without you :D :D :D
Last edited by SarahC on Mon Dec 18, 2006 8:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
SarahC

Postby KimE » Mon Nov 06, 2006 3:57 pm

WELL DONE SARAH!

Good on you! You have done very well and it's a strange thing but it can be really difficult losing weight when you start weight is a reasonably low one. It's like your body wants to hold onto every gram so you should be very proud of yourself.

I know what you mean about maintenance being a challenge, it's a little scary to be honest. However, I think it is the same journey and yes we still take each hour, day, week as it comes and do the best we can.

Kim - To thine own self be true
Maintainence since 04/11/06
Preferred Weight - Under 60 kgs
Current Weight - 64.8 kgs
Start Weight - 85 kgs
KimE

Postby kate_turner2000 » Mon Nov 06, 2006 4:37 pm

wow sarah well done mate and that plan is very thorough and in depth so that was a good read and something i have to look forward to when/if i reach maintenance! *bites nails!*

seriously though, you have done so well and i am looking forward to reading your progress on the maintenance side of things :)
kate_turner2000

Postby Ally » Mon Nov 06, 2006 5:59 pm

Good on you Sarah, you have worked so hard to achieve your goals, and it certainly looks like you have an excellent maintainence program mapped out.

Kate, my sweet, if you maintain your weight as well as you have achieved losing it, you are going to do great!!
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wGLHYSm/]
[/url]
Ally

Postby Mandie » Mon Nov 06, 2006 8:50 pm

Nice work Sarah!

Well done on reaching your goal.

It seems like you have a very sensible (and thorough!) plan for maintenance, I know you'll do really well!

Best of luck!
Mandie

Postby hushpuppy » Tue Nov 07, 2006 12:08 pm

WEll done sarah on your goals
Your plan looks very good mate
Well done
Jules
[url=http://www..com]Image[blinkiebee/url]
SW 107kg
CW 99.8kg
GW 65kg
hushpuppy

Postby SarahC » Wed Nov 08, 2006 7:44 am

Thank you everyone :D

Yep it is a very thourough plan indeed LOL. I had it all in my head anyway - only took about 5 mins to write out. For me, it really does have to be that detailed, so I can keep kicking myself in the bum everytime I stuff up.

First two days: Absolutely terrible! (Mostly pigging out at night - bad!) Determined to be good for the remainder of the week, so I don't have to write a horrible confession in here on Sunday :shock:
SarahC

Postby SarahC » Mon Nov 13, 2006 8:26 am

Progress report: Week 1 (of 15)

Well, true to my word, here's my report on the last week. Mandie, I hope you don't mind, but I'm copying your idea of the stars... just changed it a little to suit myself though. I've got 5 goal areas (weight, diet, excercise, alcohol and reporting), so every week I'll be able to award myself a star for each, the max being 5 stars :)

So here goes...

1. Weight: All good here. Weigh in on Sunday was extreeeemely low (48.3kg :oops: ) for reasons which I'll explain later! Friday was 48.8kg which is slightly more acceptable. Full marks here :wink:

2. Diet: Oh my god, is all I can say about that. I blew it big time! Just call me Miss Piggy :oops: I'll restrain myself from raving on, and only say that I WILL improve this week!

3. Excercise: Romped it in - yay! I did my two weights sessions and two abs sessions, and I went swimming at the gym yesterday :D I also went in the sauna, which I have never done before. I know that this is good for me, but not too sure exactly why :? Oh and I worked my butt off waitressing at the races. So with all that excercise I can at least feel a bit better about the massive amount of food I ate lol.

4. Alcohol: I decided to have a few drinks after I finished my last shift at the races on Saturday. I intended to have only two glasses of champagne (4 standard drinks), but snuck in another one (so a total of 6). I was sooooo tired that I really didn't need to have anymore after the first glass, as that alone almost sent me into next week. So, only half a star here, for the unnecessary drinking :( (This is the reason my weight was so low on Sunday, from dehydration... it's amazing how that happens)

5. Reporting: Well, I'm here :lol:

So, for this week 3.5 stars :D
SarahC

Postby kate_turner2000 » Mon Nov 13, 2006 9:02 am

wow sarah. first week down on maintenance and you are doing really well :) you rock girl! those stars are looking good too :) are you actually having stars literally or metaphorically? well done! ill be calling on you when/if i reach maintenance for support and advice! and you and kim!
kate_turner2000

Postby Mandie » Mon Nov 13, 2006 10:32 am

well done Sarah!

REAL stars are great, they make you feel like you have actually achieved something if you stick them in your diary or calendar.. I'm going to post a photo of my calendar at the end of the month, that will keep me accountable!

3.5 out of 5 is a pretty good week.. you should be very proud of yourself!
Mandie

Postby Ally » Mon Nov 13, 2006 10:39 am

Good on you Sarah, you are doing really well!!
[/url]
Ally

Postby KimE » Tue Nov 14, 2006 3:38 pm

Well done Sarah, you're doing nicely. The star system is a good way to monitor yourself too. :D

Can't believe all that work you did at the races, you must have been exhausted.
Kim - To thine own self be true
Maintainence since 04/11/06
Preferred Weight - Under 60 kgs
Current Weight - 64.8 kgs
Start Weight - 85 kgs
KimE

Postby SarahC » Tue Nov 21, 2006 7:42 am

Yep, worked myself silly at the races. Only just starting to recover now - poor me :( But who cares, I made a packet of money and had some fun, so it's worth it!

Progress report: Week 2 (of 15)

This is late :oops: . My internet connection is down at home... so thought I could use the computer at my parents' place. But when I arrived it was in pieces with cords etc coming out of it everywhere :shock: Oh dear...

1. Weight: Not too sure, should be alright. Weighed in Saturday and it said 48.4kg, which I am sure is incorrect as I was not feeling too great (will not go into detail!). Jumped on the scales at my parents' place (at least the scales still work there!!!) and it said 49kg, but that was mid morning, after brekkie etc :?

2. Diet: NO COMMENT. Well actually I could comment... but it would be censored so there's no point :roll: Still struggling to grab control of my eating, especially after dinner and during the night :cry: Not good!

3. Excercise: Yay! Got it all in, and went to the Pump class on Saturday morning as well :D

4. Alcohol: More good news. Not quite 5 standard drinks for the week 8)

5. Reporting: Late but still :lol:

So, for the week 4 stars :)
SarahC

Postby kate_turner2000 » Tue Nov 21, 2006 9:05 am

hi sarah

i love the way you are using the star idea in your maintenance program :) you are doing really well. if you see that you are under 50kg on the scales feel happy about it!!! dont make up any excuses to why it is there!! you have done soooo well and you are very inspirational :) dont know aht we would do without you here well done
kate_turner2000

Postby Ally » Tue Nov 21, 2006 9:32 am

I agree Sarah, you have done really well to get where you are today!! Your eating doesn't appear to be having an effect on your weight, so maybe you body needs the calories it is getting in order to maintain your weight?? Keep up the great work Sarah you are doing really well!!
[/url]
Ally

Next

Return to The Maintenance Crew