It is currently Fri Oct 21, 2016 6:38 am

Free Newsletter

Stop Smoking?

The place to get tips and advice on how to get the most out of this forum.

Moderator: Moderators

Stop Smoking?

Postby Dyeslayelia » Thu Nov 15, 2007 11:49 am

hi guys!
how can i stop smoking? i tried to quit many times now but somehow i start it again and again..
who knows some tricks? someone tried hypnosis or s.o. like that? i don't believe in a 'magic pill'
but there must be a way.
thx Dyeslayelia

Postby Mandie » Thu Nov 15, 2007 11:56 am

Theres a LOT of different ways to give up smoking.

You could try using nicotine gum, or patches to replace your cigarettes. You buy these from the chemists. Start with the strongest (if you're a heavy smoker) and step down gradually until you are only needing the lightest strength, less frequently. Then you can quit for good!

You could try just reducing your cigarettes.. so if you currently smoke 20 per day, cut it in half to 10 per day for a week. Then try 8 per day for a week. Then maybe 5 per day for a week. Stay on that as you need then gradually cut down more until you can go whole days without smoking. Then cut it out completely.

You can try cold turkey, with no replacement. Pick a day, tell everyone you know that you are quitting on this day, and ask for their support. Maybe take up a new sport or class or something as distraction during this time. On the night before, throw out your cigarettes and lighters. Wake up and become a non smoker! Encourage friends to help you out, and talk to them for support. Try various distraction techniques, especially exercise, to curb cravings. After a week or two, cravings should start to calm down and you will be able to better handle being a non smoker.

You can try hypnosis, acupuncture or herbal remedies - see a naturopath/alternative medicine practitioner for details.

There's some medical treatments too - a drug called Zyban - that has been proven to work for many people. Ask your GP.

As a first time, I'd recommend that you call the QuitLine on 13 78 48 and ask them to discuss strategies with you, and send you a Quit Pack. You can check out their website on You could also make an appointment with your GP and discuss the issue with them.

Best of luck :) Smoking is hands down the SINGLE worst thing you can possibly do to your body, healthwise - it increases your risk of almost every cancer and many other medical conditions, more so than anything else you could do (it's worse than almost all illicit drugs, alcohol, and obesity).

Postby Butterfly_Dawn » Thu Nov 15, 2007 1:30 pm

being in Bermuda though, the quitline is probably not going to work for you :wink:

you can still see the website though...oh and listen to Mandie, she's a doctor you know!!

Many people try a number of times before they quit for good, just be sure you learn from each attempt!
35kg lost. (November 2005 - October 2006)
15kg gained again (as at October 2010).
Back to the drawing board - Let's do this thing!

"You can't change the winds, but you can change the sails"

"Reach out and take control of what lands in your lap"

Postby Mandie » Thu Nov 15, 2007 1:35 pm

lol oh yeah.. bermuda.. thanks Tegan, I didn't notice that! :oops:

As Tegan said, the most important thing is to try again if you fail.. you CAN succeed, and most people go through "quitting" a couple of times before they stop for good!

Postby soon2bayummymummy » Thu Nov 15, 2007 10:37 pm

my hubby is trying hypno soon i was thinking of using it for weight loss as well

Return to Forum Help