It is currently Wed Oct 26, 2016 6:37 pm

Free Newsletter

Pictures Are More Powerful Than We Think!

A place to put inspiring pictures, quotes and stories to give us all a lift.

Moderator: Moderators

Pictures Are More Powerful Than We Think!

Postby CherryB » Tue Nov 08, 2011 6:10 pm

Hi everyone,

I've been consistent with a diet and exercise plan for 3 weeks now, and almost towards the end of that period I did not make one mistake, nor had I any temptation to eat unhealthily and I looked forward to exercising EVERY day. I was incredibly motivated.

Now for the ladies, we know how PMT can be harsh on us emotionally as well as physically, however I've never let it control me to the point where I gave up on a workout. In fact, it was even more of a reason to make the effort in order to feel better afterwards.

However, four days ago I just "stuffed up". I blamed the PMT 100% and had no argument about it. I had one glass of Baileys, returned to the fridge for another, followed by a quarter block of Camembert cheese with crackers, then crackers with two different dips which I polished off. The next day was Sunday and instead of having one meal as a treat (which I always do on a Sunday) I had the entire day off and stuffed myself ridiculously with more chips, dip, Coke, chocolate, etc. This followed into Monday, and I didn't exercise at all. I felt awful and completely confused - why on earth did I just STOP? I was so into it! (And in case you were wondering, I gained a kilo during this hiccup.)

I caught up with my Dad last night and he is completely into Personal Development, motivation, etc., and he asked, "Cherie - how long have you had that picture up on your fridge?" I remember that four days ago I put a picture on my fridge door from a few years ago when I was drinking, partying and was fat, depressed and lazy. I had put it there to motivate me "never to look like that again"; to which my father replied "well, it's done the complete opposite". He said that every time I went to the fridge I'd acknowledge who I didn't want to be which would bring a negative cloud above me, and my subconscious would look at that picture and remember 'her' and keep focusing on her alone, and inevitably my vision of the old me began to creep back into reality. Yes, every time I opened that fridge door I was faced with a horrible picture that I truly despised, yet I thought it was helping me. It had needled it's way into my subconscious, hence I began binging which my former self would do every hour of the day.

Dad said to use positive pictures - put a picture of myself from when I was at my best, not my worst. This would keep me focused on where I wanted to be, not where I don't want to find myself again. Who wants to be motivated by something they no longer wanted to be? I thought I had done myself a favour by putting that picture up to keep me from the naughty foods.

It goes without saying that I chose to eat bad and stop exercising for those few days, and I do not say the picture was a criminal and that it grew hands and spoon fed me naughty nibblies (I could have stopped myself but I didn't); but there is in no doubt that visualisation - be it you have a picture of a red sports car in a scrapbook or a reminder of your former, horrible self blue-tacked somewhere in your home - plays a massive part in how you make your decisions, and it will have an impact on you and your efforts. The subconscious is extremely strong, and yet we have no idea what power it truly possesses and I guess it is a matter of what you see is what you get when it comes in to play. Think how one might be affected after seeing a photo of a beautiful sunset in The Carribbean, or a something gorey; I'm sure it will stick with the person and have some sort of an impact whether it is good or bad.

My fridge door is again an empty canvas - needless to say - and I am now going to surround myself with positive visions and have better use for my blue-tac!

Stay happy,

Cherie. :D
"The good Lord gave you a body that can stand almost anything. It’s your mind you have to convince." – Vincent Lombardi.

Re: Pictures Are More Powerful Than We Think!

Postby Nancy101 » Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:39 am

Yehh.. That's true .. Picture actually tells about the nature of person who draw pic..
The soul never thinks without a picture.

Return to Inspiration