It is currently Sat Oct 01, 2016 5:34 am

Free Newsletter

Compliments

A place to put inspiring pictures, quotes and stories to give us all a lift.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Compliments

Postby Shalimar » Wed Aug 05, 2009 12:45 pm

The looks are funny hey Freddy :lol: , Ive noticed a few blokes do a double take when Im out walking or at the shops, come to think of it Ive seem some women do the same :? :lol: .

SW: 175.0 kgs.
CW: 62 kgs-Hit goal 12 September 2009.
Shalimar

Postby EvilWombatQueen » Wed Aug 05, 2009 1:47 pm

This isn't necessarily a compliment I've received, but I've noticed the tone of comments shifting recently. In the past when I told people I was working at losing weight they'd respond with, "But you don't need to lose any weight!" said in a supportive, kindly manner. In other words, 'you may need to lose weight but it would be polite of me to say that you don't in order to make you feel good about yourself'. Now when I tell them I'm working at losing weight people still respond "But you don't need to lose any weight!" but now it's in a shocked, horrified and slightly bewildered tone. :lol:

Got to love the subtleties of verbal communication!
EvilWombatQueen

Postby court » Wed Aug 05, 2009 1:50 pm

hahah thats excellent! Someone told me I look "so fit" the other day...
I like that - it resonated well with me..not "oh you've lost weight" but "you look fit"... :D
court

Postby Freddy » Thu Aug 06, 2009 5:31 am

Yeah, the looks I get are still a bit awkward. I guess I'm just not used to it :)

Guess I should have someone take a picture of me while riding the bike.
Freddy

Postby fi_112 » Fri Aug 07, 2009 7:56 pm

One guy told me I had the best legs he'd ever seen. But he was an old sleaze and I was drunk so does it count?? I think not haha
To wish you were someone else is to waste the person you are
fi_112

Postby fi_112 » Fri Aug 07, 2009 8:05 pm

oh yeah and re this issue:

Freddy wrote:At company parties everybody's always trying to help me watch my weight. "I wouldn't do that if I were you", "Are you sure you're getting another one?"
Things like that. I've had it with that kind of nonsense. I'm a big boy, and can watch myself now.

sometimes when I go to BBQs people will say to me "oh it's not fair that you can eat that and still be skinny!" and it's like ... I can do that because I spend the rest of the week working my ass off ... but never mind, doesn't matter at the end of the day does it!
To wish you were someone else is to waste the person you are
fi_112

Postby Freddy » Fri Aug 07, 2009 8:40 pm

fi_112 wrote:oh yeah and re this issue:

Freddy wrote:At company parties everybody's always trying to help me watch my weight. "I wouldn't do that if I were you", "Are you sure you're getting another one?"
Things like that. I've had it with that kind of nonsense. I'm a big boy, and can watch myself now.

sometimes when I go to BBQs people will say to me "oh it's not fair that you can eat that and still be skinny!" and it's like ... I can do that because I spend the rest of the week working my ass off ... but never mind, doesn't matter at the end of the day does it!

That is so true!

We can only do it every once in a while, right before we workout until we're dead. However others seem to be able to do it lots more often, and have never seen a gym from the inside.

I do have to admit that there are days that I can eat as much as I want. I still have to find out how to recognize those days though...
Freddy

Postby HappyGirl83 » Thu Sep 24, 2009 7:29 pm

I've only just started losing my weight and so far 2 people at work have told me I look great! It was lovely because I hadn't told anyone that I was going to try and get healthy so it wasn't said just to be nice. I also saw my old boss and he mentioned my skin was looking nice and clear, which is wonderful also! All the water and good healthy food is paying off everywhere on my body!

But my most amazing compliment I got recently wasn't entirely weight related. It came from my tough as nails boss who is known for never pointing out the good and coming down hard on the bad. He told me what an amazing job I am doing and that my performance has gone through the roof and he was really proud and happy. I was so over come with this I went bright red and felt like I was going to cry! Haha! I do think it is kind of related because I have so much more energy and confidence and it's coming through in all areas of my life, including work.

My mum is a shocker because even when I was at my heaviest (120kg) she would still tell me how beautiful I was, so her compliments don't count for me!
My journey so far...

Sick and tired of wasting my 20's being fat!!
HappyGirl83

Postby Freddy » Sun Sep 27, 2009 5:30 am

Yesterday a colleague of mine called me "fat cyclist". Not really a compliment, but still inspiration for me to lose some more.
Freddy

Postby court » Mon Sep 28, 2009 11:45 am

Thats horrible freddy that woulda inspired me to punch him in the face :evil:

Umm I have had a few nice compliments lately (I have been hitting the town a bit too much and seeing people from my past haha)..I especially like "What the hell have you been doing?!"

I think that is my favourite :lol:
court

Postby Fireball » Thu Oct 08, 2009 3:55 am

Interesting thread. If I can stick to eating healthy long enough, maybe one day I will hear a real compliment too.
One thing for sure people say really weird things... When I was about 35kg overweight and said I was going to try to lose weight my co-workers all said, "You don't need to lose weight!" :shock: Now is that a compliment or what? OMG We're they all mad? :lol:

"Unknowingly, we plow the dust of the stars, blown about us by the wind, and drink the universe in a glass of rain."
Ihab Hassan
Fireball

Postby Freddy » Wed May 26, 2010 1:08 am

court wrote:Thats horrible freddy that woulda inspired me to punch him in the face :evil:

Umm I have had a few nice compliments lately (I have been hitting the town a bit too much and seeing people from my past haha)..I especially like "What the hell have you been doing?!"

I think that is my favourite :lol:

I never hit or kick a colleague. I've been under review a few times before for verbally offending a few guys at work (I was just so pissed off they didn't work hard enough while I'm busting my ass) that I don't want to get back into that situation ever again.

I was in Paris last week, and the best compliment I got there was a really beautiful girl smiling at me.
Freddy

Previous

Return to Inspiration