It is currently Wed Sep 28, 2016 4:09 pm

Free Newsletter

Mean Mothers

A place to put inspiring pictures, quotes and stories to give us all a lift.

Moderator: Moderators

Mean Mothers

Postby Sassygirl » Thu Mar 29, 2007 6:08 pm

I know that this is not technically inspirational - but I thought that it was a really beautiful read.

MEAN MUMS

Someday when my children are old enough to understand the logic that motivates a parent, I will tell them, as my mean mum told me: I love you enough... to ask where you were going, with whom and what time you would be home.

I love you enough to be silent and let you discover that your new best friend was a creep.

I love you enough to stand over you for two hours while you cleaned your room, a job that should take 15 minutes. I love you enough to let you see anger, disappointment and tears in my eyes. Children must learn that their parents aren't perfect.

I love you enough to let you assume responsibilty for your actions even when the penalties were so harsh they almost broke my heart.

But most of all I loved you enough...to say NO when I knew you would hate me for it.

Those were the most difficult battles of all. I'm glad I won them, because in the end you won, too. And someday when your children are old enough to understand the logic that motivates parents, you will tell them.

Was your Mum mean, I know mine was. We had the meanest mother in the whole world. While other kids had candy for breakfast, we had to have cereal, eggs and toast. When other kids had Coke and Crisps for lunch, we had to eat sandwiches. And you can guess our mother made us a dinner that was different from what other kids had.

Mother insisted on knowing where we were at all times. You'd think we were covicts in prison. She had to know who our friends were and what we were doing with them. She insisted if we said we would be gone an hour we would be back in an hour or less.

We were ashamed to admit it, but she had the nerve to break the Child Labour Laws by making us work. We had to wash dishes, make beds, learn to cook, vacumm the floordo laundry, empty rubbish and all sorts of cruel jobs. I think she would lie awake at night thinking of more things for us to do.

She always insisted on us telling the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth. By the time we were teenagers, she could read our minds and had eyes in the back of her head. Then life was really tough!

Mother wouldn't let our friends just honk when they drove up, they had to come to the door so she could meet them. While everyone else could date when they were 12 or 13 we had to wait until we were 16.

Because of our Mother we missed out on lots of things other kids experienced. None of us have ever been caught shoplifting, vandalising others property or ever arrersted for any crime. It was all her fault.

Now that we have left home, we are all educated, honest adults, we are doing our best to be mean parents, just like Mum was.

I think that is what's wrong with the world today. There are not enough mean mums.
2008 - my year to be great!!

Sassygirl

Postby kate_turner2000 » Thu Mar 29, 2007 6:29 pm

god that sounds like my mum!!!
kate_turner2000

Postby Dee » Thu Mar 29, 2007 7:30 pm

I regularly get laughed at in the shopping centre becuase when Dane whines "Why can't I have.... whatever it is he wants.." I respond with "because I'm the meanest Mummy in the world." Translation; because I love you more than anything in the world, and i don't want you to grow up completely spoiled.
[url=http://www.phenforum.com/ticker/]
[/url]
Dee

Postby Sassygirl » Fri Mar 30, 2007 4:00 pm

Here here!!
2008 - my year to be great!!

Sassygirl

Postby Ally » Fri Mar 30, 2007 4:05 pm

Yep I am a mean mum...and my kids know it!!!
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wGLHYSm/]
[/url]
Ally

Postby Dee » Fri Mar 30, 2007 4:45 pm

Say it Loud, Say it Proud Girl.
[url=http://www.phenforum.com/ticker/]
[/url]
Dee

Postby chubba momma » Sun Aug 12, 2007 9:30 pm

I am a mean mummy too and proud of it :D
NO MORE EXCUSES!!
chubba momma

Postby Fireball » Wed Sep 05, 2007 1:14 am

Tha is beautiful - and so true. I just sent it to my daughter.

"Unknowingly, we plow the dust of the stars, blown about us by the wind, and drink the universe in a glass of rain."
Ihab Hassan
Fireball

Postby Butterfly_Dawn » Wed Sep 05, 2007 10:22 am

Dee wrote:I regularly get laughed at in the shopping centre becuase when Dane whines "Why can't I have.... whatever it is he wants.." I respond with "because I'm the meanest Mummy in the world." Translation; because I love you more than anything in the world, and i don't want you to grow up completely spoiled.

That's a hoot!! My fave shopping story is seeing a dad with 3 little misses in tow, 2 screaming their head off as he calmy says. "Nope, you'll have to scream louder than that" :lol:

I nearly peed myself laughing and wanted to bad to shake his hand, but thought that would be just a little weird
35kg lost. (November 2005 - October 2006)
15kg gained again (as at October 2010).
Back to the drawing board - Let's do this thing!

"You can't change the winds, but you can change the sails"

"Reach out and take control of what lands in your lap"

Butterfly_Dawn

Postby soon2bayummymummy » Wed Sep 05, 2007 1:58 pm

omg thats the so funny, im 22 with 3 kids and im always giving into alot of things to try and be a good mum and feel loved more but now i know that if i become a mean mum ill be making them healthier by not giving them 'bad foods', that having them help more around the house will help them by having a rountine, that letting them scream at the shops and ignoring them or telling they gotta scream louder hehe wont be the end of the world if everyone stares at me.
I guess its time to ditch trying to make them happy and prepare them for the future ahead.
cheers deb
Im will be a mean mummy hehe
soon2bayummymummy

Return to Inspiration