It is currently Thu Oct 27, 2016 9:52 pm

Free Newsletter

gallantry is back - share your stories of kindness!

A place to put inspiring pictures, quotes and stories to give us all a lift.

Moderator: Moderators

gallantry is back - share your stories of kindness!

Postby zoeh » Sat Jun 02, 2007 11:30 pm

Recently I have had two experiences where complete strangers went out of their way to be exceptionally nice to me.

I, like most people out there that have been on the bad end of the stick with a few people, forget that there ARE people who will go to that little bit of extra effort even when it comes to strangers.

If someone has said something nice to you out of the blue or has done something exceptional, I would LOVE to hear it.

Here are my two stories:

1. My car ran out of petrol JUST as it got to the service station. I went up to the service attendant and told him my car just died and went to purchase a petrol container to fill with petrol.

There was this man standing behind me and he heard me and said, has your car broken down? I said yes, and pointed to it. Two minutes later he comes back with this rather good looking guy and offers to push it to the petrol pump.

I was so grateful and they didnt ask for my number or say anything crude, they were just genuine nice guys.

2. Today i was in the supermarket. I only had one item with me and stepped out of the line to see if the express lanes were occupied with a check out person. They weren't but the guy who was standing behind me let me back in my position in the lane.

He said to me, you have beautiful eyes and then we started getting into this conversation about our heritage and work etc and I told him I did acting and he said you will go far and I wish you all the best.

I thought that was such a beautiful thing to say, especially as I was standing in my daggiest clothes about to go to dance class. He wasn't sleazey at all, he was well mannered.

Being single for so long I do not often get a compliment about my looks and to be honest most of the time I think there is something wrong because I am never approached by guys but when a stranger tells you something that is sincere and sweet, it really picks you up.

Postby Maraver » Sun Jun 03, 2007 7:56 am

What a nice story, there are some really nice people around
I work in a Supermarket and do the wages count the cash etc that comes from the registers and feel like I am everyones mother etc etc
On Tuesdays the girls in charge of the checkouts really stuffed up and caused me a real headache.
Anyway when I came to work on Wednesday Morning there was an envelope with this written on it
My name is Pam so you can see train of thought
and inside there was a thankyou card saying this
plus a small box of chocolates
I just sat and cried just a small gesture to know that they appreciate me went such along way

Postby kate_turner2000 » Sun Jun 03, 2007 10:28 am

thats is great to hear lovely stories like that :) i dont get many nice things like that :( however there was a lovely member of this forum i wont mention a name because i dont want to embarrass them or anything but you know who you are! who sent me a package with a weights dvd and weights book with a lovely card to help me out when i wanted to learn more about doing weights.

recently another member of this forum- i wont mention names but it was someone different and they sent me a big box of clothes they no longer fit into :)
Last edited by kate_turner2000 on Sun Jun 03, 2007 10:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Maraver » Sun Jun 03, 2007 10:34 am

Neither do I but somedays they just turn up out of the blue

Postby zoeh » Sun Jun 03, 2007 11:53 am

awww thats so nice!!

One small friendly gestre can go a lonnnnnnnnnng way!

Postby Roar2Life » Mon Jun 04, 2007 6:48 pm

I agree with you guys. It really is nice when people so things for you. I have a teacher at school who i'm really good friends with and she's a great mate. She takes me home on wednesdays cause I have sport and it's too hard strapping a sports bag to the motorbike. And she always says if it's ever raining or anything and I need a lift all I have to do is ring her and she'll pick me up. It's also great to know there's someone there for me if I want a more 'mature' conversation (my friends aren't usually serious enough). Just last week I spoke to her about an issue that I wouldn't talk to my friends about because they just wouldn't understand but she did and she gave me a hug, we had a chat and I felt much better afterwards.

Actually, just this afternoon a nice young guy let me merge on the roundabout.

:wink: Bravo to nice people because they make living worth it.

P.S. Sorry for the ramble guys. I'm trying to prolong working on an assignment. :lol:
In a world full of people only some want to fly...

Postby Chelle » Thu Jun 21, 2007 10:31 pm

That's so sweet!!!

Postby Leishkin » Mon Jul 16, 2007 2:43 pm

I was crossing the street to the station on my way home from work in the rain (it really wasn't expected to rain so i didn't have an umbrella or anything) and a man who was crossing too held his umbrella over me.

This was about 6 months ago and I still remember it, I just thought 'gee, what a lovely person' made me feel all warm and fuzzy inside, there are still gentlemen out there after all :)

Postby Dave » Sat Jul 28, 2007 11:18 pm

Well it's nice to know that Chivalry is not always snubbed. I find that many people today do not know how to accept a polite turn here or there. Often I feel that many people wonder, "What do you want" ect... ect...

I make it a habit to help out when I can...Like the opening story to this post I help a lady in a petrol station by getting under her bonnet and seeing her on her way...We just joked about the situation & left it at that.

People use to think me crazy for returning a lost wallet with money in it...but once I lost mine and had it was an amazing feeling. Despite feeling like a goose for giving up a seat here and there, it realy does help to her how others have had their day made...because someone stopped for a moment to give way for one second to think of someone else instead of themselves...

I'ts nice to see some people actually grateful...I was ready to give up because of the many inconsiderate people out there. Nice to hear your stories.
"Action may not always bring happiness, but there is no happiness without action"
.................. Image...............

Return to Inspiration