It is currently Sun Dec 04, 2016 8:46 am

Free Newsletter

Under-active thyroid gland??

Got questions about weight loss? Ask the mob, they're sure to have the answers!

Moderator: Moderators

Under-active thyroid gland??

Postby Lateralus » Tue Oct 23, 2007 11:21 pm

Hello everyone, does anyone know anything about or ever had an under-active thyroid? It can apparently affect energy levels, libido, weight gain/loss etc and can be treated with medication. I plan to see my doctor soon to have mine tested but wondered if anyone had any other info or experiences?

Spanks,
Lauren xo
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wTHpv3Y/]
[/url]
Lateralus

Postby Mandie » Tue Oct 23, 2007 11:30 pm

Underactive thyroid, or hypothyroidism is a relatively common condition. It is more common in women then men, and more often shows up in middle age.

The symptoms are tiredness, weakness, weight gain/difficulty losing weight, lowered libido, irregular periods and some people may get a swelling in the neck (around the throat).

It's pretty easily tested for, so if you are worried, then see your GP for a simple blood test. If you do have it, it can be easily treated with replacement of the thyroid hormone. This is one of the best medications you can take because it is basically same as the normal thyroid hormone that you aren't making enough of, so you can't be allergic to it, and there are no side effects aside from if you take too much of it.

You'd need semi-regular blood tests for a little while just to get the dosage right, but otherwise people tend to live normal, healthy lives, with most people remaining on thyroid hormone tablets for life.

Seeing your GP for a test is a good idea. If you do have the condition, your GP can give you some more information.

There may be some people on the forum who suffer from it, so they can offer their viewpoint - but generally, once treated, the symptoms disappear and you should be right to lose weight normally.
Mandie

Postby yummymummy » Wed Oct 24, 2007 12:22 pm

man your good mandie!
Jody

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/w3enhEK/]
[/url]
yummymummy

Postby Mandie » Wed Oct 24, 2007 5:43 pm

lol Thanks Jody.

Just finished my last day as a med student. Just one pesky exam November 5 and then I'm DONE and I can throw that student doctor badge away for good.. and replace it with "DR MANDIE!"
Mandie

Postby Lateralus » Wed Oct 24, 2007 9:31 pm

Thanks Dr Mandie! Will post again after I get my results. Congrats on finishing your last year, and good luck with the final exam. Graduating will be so rewarding, I can't wait, I got a year to go!
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wTHpv3Y/]
[/url]
Lateralus

Postby rivenriver » Wed Oct 24, 2007 11:26 pm

Haha - Dr Mandie - so cool!

Did you write that off the top of your head, or did you look it up? Vrey cool, having exactly what's needed right when it's needed. ;)
rivenriver

Postby Mandie » Thu Oct 25, 2007 12:12 am

I wrote it off the top of my head... :oops:
Mandie

Postby Butterfly_Dawn » Tue Oct 30, 2007 10:31 am

I take kelp tablets to assist my thyroid. It's not so much medication as a source of iodine which is essential for thyroid function but which is relatively scarce in Australian produce (due to Australia having very old soils with consequently low iodine levels). I seem to recall they began supplementing iodine into salt and bread to address thyroid goiter problems which were quite common in the olden days?

Mandie does that sound right or am I talking out of my ass again?
35kg lost. (November 2005 - October 2006)
15kg gained again (as at October 2010).
Back to the drawing board - Let's do this thing!

"You can't change the winds, but you can change the sails"

"Reach out and take control of what lands in your lap"

Butterfly_Dawn

Return to Ask the Mob