It is currently Sun Dec 04, 2016 7:16 pm

Free Newsletter

Your best excuse?

Got questions about weight loss? Ask the mob, they're sure to have the answers!

Moderator: Moderators

Your best excuse?

Postby admin » Thu Oct 25, 2007 9:32 am

Hi Everyone.

We're currently writing an article for weightloss.com.au about the importance of saying 'no thanks' when offered food and drink we're trying to avoid while watching what we eat.

Saying no can often be hard to do for many reasons, not least of which you don't want to offend the offerer.

Without saying 'I'm on a diet', what's your best excuse for saying 'no thanks' to desserts, lollies, biscuits, alcohol, etc, withouot offending the person making the offer?

You never know, your excuse might end up in our article!

Scott. :D
admin
Site Admin

Postby kate_turner2000 » Thu Oct 25, 2007 9:43 am

:arrow: No thanks ive only just had ________ (breakfast,lunch,dinner etc) so I am pretty full

:arrow: No thanks Ive got heartburn and im afraid if i eat anything it will flare up worse than it is

:arrow: No dont think i can stomach it, i dont feel that well in the tummy

:arrow: no thanks i am allergic to _______ (i use this excuse for seafood all the time LOL )

:arrow: can you put it on a plate and ill take it home for later?
kate_turner2000

Postby electrongirl » Thu Oct 25, 2007 9:56 am

:arrow: "I'm diabetic"

:arrow: "I just took some medicine & I can't eat for 30 minutes"

:arrow: "I'm fasting for Ramadan"
Nikki - Aussie girl living in the USA with her soul mate. My blog: http://aus2usa.blogspot.com/

Image Image
electrongirl

Postby Playboy_bunny » Thu Oct 25, 2007 9:58 am

ooh I think Kate has them all! :D
Image•·.·´¯`·.·•Gracie•·.·´¯`·.·•
Playboy_bunny

Postby electrongirl » Thu Oct 25, 2007 10:05 am

no thanks i am allergic to _______ (i use this excuse for seafood all the time LOL )

I use that all the time (but not for seafood!! I love it)
Nikki - Aussie girl living in the USA with her soul mate. My blog: http://aus2usa.blogspot.com/

Image Image
electrongirl

Postby Mandie » Thu Oct 25, 2007 11:42 am

I use all those Kate!

I usually say "I'm not hungry" or "I just ate" or something
Mandie

Postby rivenriver » Thu Oct 25, 2007 1:21 pm

Just a polite/friendly smile and a firm, "Nah, I'm right thanks." :)

Or I just say, "Nah, I don't really feel like it just now / I'm not really in the mood. But thanks!" Smiling always works. :)

If it's something really good, you could try the old "But they're your chocolates/timtams/lollies! I'd feel so bad about taking one!"

Or could be trying to win a bet. My friend went into a competition with our English teacher to see who could go without chocolate the longest, and she just explained that whenever she was offered it.

Or beyond allergic, just tell them (and yourself!) that you don't actually like that thing. People have weird tastes - I have friends who won't touch chocolate, chips, ice cream, cake, just because they don't like the taste!!!

Alcohol wise, say you've gotta drive, or that you just wanna stay sober tonight. It's really easy for P platers now, cos the limit is 0.0, so even if you only have one drink the night before, you can't be 100% certain that you'll be under the limit the next day. Or even if you are certain, just claim you're not!!! ;)

I had / am going to have a really big lunch/dinner/breakfast/brunch/afternoon tea. :)

And when it's getting really tough, and all my friends are loudly proclaiming the wonders of the offered food, I try and get outta there for a minute. Toilet, or fresh air, or "I've just realised I forgot...". :)
rivenriver

Postby milkyway » Thu Oct 25, 2007 1:52 pm

I think the best excuses have been given above. I politely decline by saying that I'm full, have just eaten, not right now, maybe later etc.

All that I would add to the above is that if someone offers you a piece of gorgeous looking cake/pie/dessert etc. is be sure to compliment them on how wonderful/delicious it looks etc. before declining.
Just keep moving! And don't be lazy...
------------------------
SW: 74.3kg - 1/1/09
CW: 71.1kg - 3/5/09
GW 62kg
milkyway

Postby lng86 » Fri Oct 26, 2007 9:30 am

I think everyone has already said all of the good ones!

Great work!
To succeed you need to find something to hold on to, something to motivate you, something to inspire you - Myself (Lauren)
lng86

Postby Playboy_bunny » Fri Oct 26, 2007 8:48 pm

hahaha I remember once my sister was on a diet yeeears ago and we went to visit our great aunt...my sister was offered cake and rather than saying 'no thanks' she said 'Nah,I think I saw a fly in it' haha didnt go down too well with our aunt! :shock: :lol:
Image•·.·´¯`·.·•Gracie•·.·´¯`·.·•
Playboy_bunny

Postby SarahC » Fri Oct 26, 2007 9:15 pm

hehe that's a good one!

What about, "I don't need anymore sugar, I'm sweet enough already" :D (people used to say that to me all the time when I was waitressing and asked if they wanted any sugar in their tea/coffee hahaha)
SarahC

Postby Butterfly_Dawn » Tue Oct 30, 2007 10:27 am

I think most of the time people offer you things because they either feel the need to offer you something (to be hospitable) or because they are eating it themselves.
If I think it's the former, I'll say, "no thanks, but I'd love a glass of water" (so that they feel they are being a good host by providing what I asked for)
If I think it's the latter I'll usually just say "no thanks" and if they press the issue say "no, really, I'm not hungry, but you go ahead"

So I don't usually use excuses, I just say no.

Oh, but the way to get around the Nanna type that load you up on more food every time you finish some "oh, let me refill your plate..."...don't finish it. Eat a couple of mouthfulls, engage in some conversation and conveniently 'forget' to finish it and be sure to say "thankyou, no it was lovely, I'm plenty full now" when they ask, or take away your plate and offer more.
35kg lost. (November 2005 - October 2006)
15kg gained again (as at October 2010).
Back to the drawing board - Let's do this thing!

"You can't change the winds, but you can change the sails"

"Reach out and take control of what lands in your lap"

Butterfly_Dawn

Return to Ask the Mob