It is currently Fri Dec 09, 2016 8:38 pm

Free Newsletter

when to eat

Got questions about weight loss? Ask the mob, they're sure to have the answers!

Moderator: Moderators

when to eat

Postby mimosa8 » Thu Nov 01, 2007 5:01 pm

some say "eat only when you are hungry"

others say eat every 3-4 hours.

What do you think?

Does not eating every 3-4 hours slow down weight loss and put the body into conservation mode? or is the body more intelligent and tells us when we are hungry for a reason??
mimosa8

Postby SarahC » Fri Nov 02, 2007 9:48 am

I would go the 3-4 hours theory myself. I don't think it's good to go longer than 4 hrs without eating, because of the possibility of metabolic slowdown, plus you could get low blood sugar and/or become overly hungry and then more likely to have a blowout. So, I eat regularly even if I'm not hungry, but that's just me, and I'm a pig hahaha. I'm very lucky to survive 4 hours without eating :roll:
SarahC

Postby loveat116 » Fri Nov 02, 2007 10:02 am

The whole 'eat every 3-4 hours or your metabolism will slow down' is just a theory.

Your metabolism is a lot touger than that!

I eat 3 meals a day with 1 snack usually. I CANT eat 5 times a day, I just dont have time!
Starting Weight: 62kg Current Weight: 55.0kg Goal Weight: 54kg

Goal Reached 22 February 2008, Must get down to 54kg again!
loveat116

Postby Mandie » Fri Nov 02, 2007 10:04 am

I think you should eat when you are hungry. Having said that, I think you should try to eat a small snack if you get a bit hungry between meals, rather than holding out and being ravenous and eating a giant dinner...

I tend to eat 3 meals a day, with snacks on weekends and in the holidays, but I don't usually have time on weekdays. Lately though, I started carrying Le Snak with me, which are great when you're on the go, and it meant that I wasn't so starving at lunchtime that I would eat everything in sight!
Mandie

Postby Sas » Fri Nov 02, 2007 10:27 am

I'm an eat when I'm hungry person. I usually have 3 meals a day and that's it. That being said I always have nuts sitting in my desk drawyer for a snack if I do get hungry between meals.
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wCSA5VJ/]
Sas

Postby HappyBella55 » Fri Nov 02, 2007 11:59 am

Well before I started on this journey, I had a very busy work and uni schedule so I didn't eat that often, which left me ravenous at dinner time and I would consume 2 or 3 times the serving size then later on in the night I would binge on toast, bikkies, chocolate, cake.

Then I started on my healthy weight loss lifestyle change to a happier me and started doing research. I found lots of recommendations about having small meals 5-6 times a day i.e: breakfast, snack, lunch, snack, dinner, snack (if still hungry). I did this for a while and it worked. It kept hunger at bay and I didn't over eat and surprisingly I didn't want to binge on naught food.

Now that I'm back to full time work, weekend work and finishing off my last ever uni exams my eating has kinda gone down hill because I don't have enough time.

Some mornings I'm running so late I don't have enough time to have breakfast so I grab an up and go and drink that while I'm driving to work. Then at work I will have some fruit or nuts depending but because I'm out on reception people are always coming in and answering the phones doesn't give me time to snack.

But yeah, after going of tangent for a bit :D I try to have 3 square meals a day with snacks if I have the time.

Weekends are my downfall though. As I tend to not want to have proper meals and graze all day.
Start weight - 77kgs
Goal weight - 53kgs
Current Weight - 50.1kgs

No more weighing, no more scales. My measurement is my success at health. It's an investment I make every single day. My priority: be healthy!
HappyBella55

Postby kate_turner2000 » Fri Nov 02, 2007 12:22 pm

i reckon you should just eat when you want. as long as you are having all types of foods in moderation you will be fine.

BUT always start your day with breakfast!
kate_turner2000

Postby rivenriver » Fri Nov 02, 2007 2:57 pm

I reckon plan when you'ree going to eat (3 meals or 6, whatever works), but then if you get hungry have something to eat then too. Every day is different - sometimes you might have areally busy aftternoon, and your body NEEDS something to keep it going. Othertimes, you just don't, so you just eat your dinner. But I think saying you need to eat every 3-4 hours regardless can't be right - what about when you're asleep???
rivenriver

Return to Ask the Mob