It is currently Wed Dec 07, 2016 11:23 pm

Free Newsletter

Infected Belly Button

Got questions about weight loss? Ask the mob, they're sure to have the answers!

Moderator: Moderators

Infected Belly Button

Postby BusyMum » Wed Nov 21, 2007 12:12 pm

Has anyone else had this?

I didnt even know it was possible until I got an infected belly button last year. Dr gave me antibiotics for it and it went away. It has kept re-occuring though, and I have had 2 more courses of antibiotics since. It is infected AGAIN! It is so grose and I feel like I must be the only person in the world that gets it. PLEASE someone tell me I am not.
Angela.
Mum to 2 girls, 22months, and 6 months.

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wiWIiQF/]
BusyMum

Postby Mandie » Wed Nov 21, 2007 12:18 pm

I've never had it, but I know it's quite common, especially with pierced belly buttons, but can happen in people without piercings.

It's a hard infection to treat, because the bugs get all closed off in little sacs, and the antibiotics often can't get rid of them all, so they grow back! This time, get your doctor to put you on a longer course of antibiotics, and use some antiseptic cream (ask the chemist) on the area, and hopefully that will work.

(p.s. am a doctor, but only just qualified, and i can't see you or examine you, so obviously if you have any big queries you gotta see your own doc :) )
Mandie

Postby BusyMum » Wed Nov 21, 2007 12:24 pm

Thanks Mandie.

I have an appointment on friday to renew a script, so I was going to ask my dr about it then. It looks worse this time than it has before - really really red and very gets a bit pusy and smelly. And it is quiet sore to touch. My dr told me I should wash it with salty water last time, so I have been doing that. It soothes it a little.

Cant wait till friday! Thanks for the help :)
Angela.

BusyMum

Postby BusyMum » Wed Nov 21, 2007 12:25 pm

Oh and I dont have a peircing. I do have a very deep belly button though.
Angela.

BusyMum

Postby cupcake » Fri Nov 23, 2007 2:26 pm

I got my BB pierced 3 times before i found the answer to infection. Peroxide. From the chemist, about $3 for a little brown bottle, just lay on your back and put some in twice aday, it will bubble and foam up but thats good, try it! I havent had a problem with mine now for about 3 years.
cupcake

Postby cupcake » Fri Nov 23, 2007 2:27 pm

oops sorry, didnt realise that you havent got it pierced. Im concerned that its getting infected, maybe just dry it relly well after getting it wet (shower, sweat) bacteria love it in there because its warm and moist. Still try the peroxide thing though, its sure to kill any nasties residing in there.
cupcake

Postby Chelle » Sun Nov 25, 2007 4:22 pm

How did you go, are you on better antibiotics??
Chelle

cellulitis or other problem.

Postby Blobber » Mon Nov 26, 2007 9:19 am

Hi BusyMum,
Obviously people have already mentioned a few useful things. Mandie already explained some of the problem. Usually infection of the skin or cellulitis is caused by small cracks/ traumas to the skin that allow the bugs to enter and cause an infection. These are usually not obvious. In the belly button the bacterial count tends to be higher than other parts of the skin as it is moist and not exposed. As some suggested it is important to keep very clean (range of methods). If you get an infection antibiotics will usually resolve.

There are quite a few other conditions that can present with a red looking belly button. one of these is an umbilical hernia in the late stages it will push on the skin causing the skin to thin out and ulcerate. This also predisposes to infections.

(P.S am a surgeon working in sydney, I tend to see the hernias and other rare conditions)
Dr. Beldholm
Surgeon in Sydney
Blobber

Postby rivenriver » Mon Nov 26, 2007 12:13 pm

I've had an infected bellybutton, once or maybe twice (I forget). I wasn't that bad, but it was pussy and I think a bit red. My mum is a pharmacist, she gave me a cream and it went away instantly (well, in a day or 2). I forget which one though. I know it was one we have in the house, so maybe Paraderm Plus? Or Egocourt? It could have been something weird, and it also could have been prescription (shhh.... ;)). I reckon you should just ask to see the pharmacist at the chemist. :)
rivenriver

Postby BusyMum » Wed Nov 28, 2007 9:06 pm

Sorry I havent been on here in a while :oops:
Thanks for all the replies. I went to the GP and he didnt put me on antibiotics - just gave me a script for a cream to use twice a day called bactrobin. I have been using it since friday and it has gone. He told me to stop using it once it had gone away, but i have used it a few times since, just to be sure. I am a little worried about it coming back again. And after blobber's comments, even more so lol. Are there any other symptoms I would have, if it were something more serious?
Angela.

BusyMum

Postby Mandie » Thu Nov 29, 2007 12:12 am

If it was a hernia, you'd have a lump sticking out of it. It wouldn't go away with the cream either. So if it's gone away, you should be right.

P.s. i think the cream is an antibiotic (just given as a cream rather than a tablet) so it should kill all the bugs :)
Mandie

Postby BusyMum » Thu Nov 29, 2007 9:17 am

Thankyou Mandie. I feel releived now lol. There is no lump, and it has gone away. Just one more question, will it do any harm, if i do keep using the cream? Seeing as it is an antibiotic?
Angela.

BusyMum

Re: Infected Belly Button

Postby Giovanny » Fri Nov 12, 2010 8:49 pm

You can do...take a cotton swab dipped in alcohol or hydrogen peroxide and gently wipe out your belly button. Often there will be yeast within in the belly button that you cannot see until you swab it out.
Giovanny

Return to Ask the Mob