It is currently Wed Oct 26, 2016 6:10 am

Free Newsletter

How important are scales??

Got questions about weight loss? Ask the mob, they're sure to have the answers!

Moderator: Moderators

How important are scales??

Postby kazy » Thu Nov 29, 2007 6:23 pm

I dont have scales.. not ones that work anyways.. and theres not quite enough room in my budget right now to get some.. not with both my kids just having birthdays, parties, and next is christmas!!

so my questions to the mob are..

:arrow: how important are scales when starting a weight loss program??

:arrow: what other measurements could you go by other than weight?? like would a waist measurment be a good indicator???

:arrow: are there others who do not use scales???

thanks in advance ladies :)

Postby electrongirl » Thu Nov 29, 2007 8:40 pm

you could always use those scales at the shopping centres or chemists!

There are alot of people who dont go by weight, more by cm's lost or how their clothes fit.

I have a really old pair of digital scales that I paid a fortune for years ago. They are much cheaper now!!
Nikki - Aussie girl living in the USA with her soul mate. My blog:

Image Image

Postby shelbel » Thu Nov 29, 2007 10:19 pm

Hey great idea about the shopping centre scales! Do you know ive even seen them in the ladies toilets?? I think thats going abit far!!

Another thing i think is a good idea for overall seeing of results is pictures. Take front,side and back shots, i really wish i had done this at the start!

And of course clothes and measurements. Do you have a family member or friend with a scale you could visit once a week or month??
Highest Weight - 93kgs
Current Weight - 68.3kgs
Goal Weight - 65kgs

The wise man Stephen King once said - The only way to go on, is to go on. To say 'i can do this' even when you know you cant

You'll find me in the almost there section :)

Postby EvilWombatQueen » Thu Nov 29, 2007 11:57 pm

I guess it depends on why you're wanting to lose weight. If it's for appearance's sake then measurements would be more important than scales, in my opinion. For many health issues I'd imagine measurements mean more than weight because of the whole muscle-being-denser-than-fat thing.

For me weight definitely does matter, so I'm addicted to my scales. One of the main reasons I'm trying to lose weight is to cure my Plantar Fasciitis. PF is where you get micro-tears in the tendon-like material at the sole of the foot. I've had it for over two years, it often hurts to walk and it has stopped me from exercising in the past. One of the suggested remedies is to lose weight. Losing weight means less pressure on the plantar fascia, so whether that weight is caused by fat or muscle I need to drop the kilos!

I like the recommendation of using the scales at shopping centres or chemists. If you don't need to monitor your weight for medical reasons then using them and measuring yourself every week or so would be the perfect solution. If you decide you need scales, I got some very affordable ones through Very affordable and quick delivery. I highly recommend them.

Return to Ask the Mob