It is currently Sun Dec 11, 2016 10:50 pm

Free Newsletter

Strapless Heart Rate Monitors

Got questions about weight loss? Ask the mob, they're sure to have the answers!

Moderator: Moderators

Strapless Heart Rate Monitors

Postby ranger 2 » Tue Jan 08, 2008 9:21 pm

I have been thinking about getting a strapless Heart Rate Monitor. I am wondering what I should get. If possible I would like to spend under $100. My questions are:

1) Are they accurate ?
2) What is the best one to get ?
3) Are they really worth the money ? and
4) Is it worth having one ?

TIA
Jodi 8)
ranger 2

Postby EvilWombatQueen » Wed Jan 09, 2008 12:45 pm

I have no answer for you I'm afraid Jodi, but I'm going to keep an eye on this thread because I'm seriously considering getting one myself!

I bought a watch with a build in heart rate monitor and it's absolutely useless. You have to put your finger on a sensor for a minute to measure your pulse and the slightest movement ruins the reading. As a result it's impossible to get an accurate reading even when standing still let alone while running!
EvilWombatQueen

Postby milkyway » Wed Jan 09, 2008 7:14 pm

I've got an old (about 7 or 8 years) Polar heart rate monitor, but it has a strap. Is it accurate? I believe it used to be, but recently I went running with it and it told me my heart rate was just under 200 :shock: I didn't keel over and die, it was back down to about 88bpm about 10 seconds later... so methinks it's time for a new one. When I bought it, it was about $200 at the time. I reckon you'd be able to get a basic Polar HRM with a stopwatch for under $100 these days.

I will get a Garmin Forerunner 305 in the near future - it's got gps so you can accurately measure the distance you run/walk as well as km splits etc and it's a heart rate monitor (strapless, I believe). You can download all the info into a program on your computer and analyse your progress (or lack of!) The trouble is, they're about $350 :( But it will be good to have the gps in case I ever get los (again!) out bush :oops:

However, there are other, cheaper products by Garmin or Polar that are also recommended. The important thing to consider is getting a warranty for it in case something goes wrong with it.
Just keep moving! And don't be lazy...
------------------------
SW: 74.3kg - 1/1/09
CW: 71.1kg - 3/5/09
GW 62kg
milkyway

Re: Strapless Heart Rate Monitors

Postby milkyway » Wed Jan 09, 2008 7:19 pm

I didn't really answer your questions...

1) Are they accurate ?

I'd say yes

2) What is the best one to get ?
I'd say Polar or Garmin

3) Are they really worth the money ? and
If you're interested in training within a particular zone (anaerobic, aerobic) and seeing how your fitness improves by measuring your heart rate (ie by seeing how quickly your heart rate drops after you finish exercising) then yes, they're worth the money. It's also a must have if you're worried about a heart condition and don't want to overdo it.

When I get a bit more serious about my running training, I will be making sure I do certain runs (or parts of runs) within particular zones of % max heart rate. At the moment, I'm just spending as much time on my feet as possible.

4) Is it worth having one ?

See above.
------------------------
SW: 74.3kg - 1/1/09
CW: 71.1kg - 3/5/09
GW 62kg
milkyway

Postby milkyway » Wed Jan 09, 2008 10:12 pm

PS I'm sure you'll find something you're after here:

http://www.coolrunning.com.au/forums/in ... owforum=40