It is currently Mon Dec 05, 2016 3:30 pm

Free Newsletter

Daily amount of exercise?!?!?!

Got questions about weight loss? Ask the mob, they're sure to have the answers!

Moderator: Moderators

Daily amount of exercise?!?!?!

Postby big_love » Fri Jan 18, 2008 10:37 am

Just starting out, and having never really exercised before im a little lost as to where to start. I have so far deicided on half an hour daily, doing a "walk and jog away the ponds" and a "walk and kick away the pounds" dvd. What do others recommend for weight loss exercise.

Am I doing enough at the moment??

p.s. I dont really have the time and money for the gym
140/117/85
big_love

Postby Mandie » Fri Jan 18, 2008 10:43 am

half an hour a day is a great place to start :)

the key with exercise is that it needs to be vigorous - a stroll won't help you lose weight! at the end of your session, you should be sweaty. during your session, you should be getting breathless, but still be able to talk (in words or phrases, but if you can get out whole sentences, you're probably not working hard enough).

as you get fitter, you'lll find the same exercise doesnt challenge you enough. then you need to either up the time or the intensity of your workout.

good luck!
Mandie

Postby SarahC » Fri Jan 18, 2008 10:45 am

That sounds really good to me! I think with exercise, just do as much as your time/finances/fitness will allow, and if you're getting the results, keep going, if not, change :D Good luck!
SarahC

Postby soon2bayummymummy » Fri Jan 18, 2008 8:27 pm

i have both the walk/kick and walk/jog and they get u going. i think as long as u add weights to ur work-out and things like crunches, squats, lunges things like that u'll do great.
soon2bayummymummy

Postby GoddessInside » Mon Jan 21, 2008 1:02 pm

30 mins is excellent place to start !

I initially started off with what I could physically do, my first walk I started off at 150m walk - Im now walking up to 3km's per day plus I do some other workouts like push ups, wall squats and upper body workout.

I have just bought myself the WATP dvd and really looking forward to it ! You're starting off quite sensibly which is good, so your body doesnt go into shock and you fall off the wagon.

keep it up hun :D
SW: 233.2kgs - Nov 2012
SW148.0kgs - 14 Oct 2014
CW 141.2kgs
GW 132kg
GoddessInside

WATP

Postby big_love » Mon Jan 21, 2008 1:35 pm

Hi Helen,

WATP is excellent. I really enjoy them both. I have just ordered a belly dancing dvd and am heaps excited to get that. Its something I've always wanted to learn, and its a way to get fit aswell.

I was actually starting to think maybe i should do 30 mins in the morning and 30 mins at night afterwork of my dvd, until the bellydancing comes?!?! Im not sure if this is puching it, but i guess my body will tell me...My problem is my calf muscles at the moment, cramping up all the time..i guess im not used to actually usung them properly :oops:

I've also ordered a pedometre to measure my steps each day, so thats something i can challenge myself on. It sounds lame, but i am really excited to get going with this and get healthy!
140/117/85
big_love

Postby ali76 » Mon Jan 21, 2008 1:57 pm

It's not lame at all!! Get excited!! :D

If you feel like you want to do 30 minutes twice a day - do it! But make sure you listen to your body. If you're really hurting, it's telling you to stop or slow down.

Also, make sure you're doing exercises you're not going to get bored with...that's how I find DVDs sometimes...doing the same routine / moves makes me either lose motivation or I tend not to work as hard.

My advice is, take advantage of the weather! After living in Scotland where it rained or snowed 90% of the time, I now enjoy being outside...go for a walk as well as your DVDs and enjoy our beautiful country!

Well done on your loss to date....you should be really proud!!

Get excited!! :P
SW - 75.9
CW - 68
Happy weight - 68 (I MADE IT!!!)
GW - 65 (for now - and until I conceive!)
ali76

Postby Sarrah » Mon Jan 21, 2008 2:16 pm

At the moment I am doing 15 minutes a day, with the view of slowing increasing. 15 minutes on the x-trainer is a good workout. Slow and steady :)
hello.curves - my blog
Sarrah

Postby GoddessInside » Mon Jan 21, 2008 6:28 pm

It's not lame at all hun !!!

Timing yourself and setting little challenges to yourself I find gets me going ! If you think thats lame, man I was over the moon for smashing my PB this morning ! Now thats lame :P

I loooooooooooooooooove belly dancing ( after all I am greek ! hehe ) !! Let me know which dvd you got and if it's any good ! Im so critical of the belly dancing dvd's since I already know how to half to do it :P :D

Your doing a great job, this weight will be off you in no time :D
SW: 233.2kgs - Nov 2012
SW148.0kgs - 14 Oct 2014
CW 141.2kgs
GW 132kg
GoddessInside

Postby carls » Wed Jan 23, 2008 8:41 am

what is this walk away the pounds dvd? is it any good??

i think your excercise is great! whatever gets your heart pumping is good for you!

I usually go to the gym twice a day. Once in the morning to run 5-7kms, and then in the evening to do spinning class.
Image[/url]
carls

Return to Ask the Mob