It is currently Mon Dec 05, 2016 7:16 am

Free Newsletter

Does Tea/ Coffee help in losing weight?

Got questions about weight loss? Ask the mob, they're sure to have the answers!

Moderator: Moderators

Does Tea/ Coffee help in losing weight?

Postby Nobody » Tue Jan 22, 2008 2:32 am

Hello All,

A lot of people say that Tea and Coffee burns the body fats, hence helping in weight loss. Just wanna know what you know/think about it.

Does Tea helps in losing weight?

Does Coffee helps in losing weight?

Does drinking a lot (12-15 glasses or more a day) of water helps in losing weight?
Nobody

Postby loveat116 » Tue Jan 22, 2008 8:44 am

Coffee has helped me lose weight, but not in the sense your talking about.

If I have a coffee with my breakfast I am less likely to eat more throughout the day, it keeps me full.

Drinking 8+ glasses of water a day is great for you health wise, not sure if it has any weight loss benefits though. Makes my skin really healthy though.
Starting Weight: 62kg Current Weight: 55.0kg Goal Weight: 54kg

Goal Reached 22 February 2008, Must get down to 54kg again!
loveat116

Postby electrongirl » Tue Jan 22, 2008 8:48 am

An article I found about water & weightloss:

Why Drinking Water Really is the Key to Weight Loss
by Maia Appleby

Don't roll your eyes! The potion for losing that excess body fat is all around you. It covers two thirds of the planet. If you eat right and exercise at the intensity, frequency and duration proper for you, but still can't get rid of a little paunch here and there, you're probably just not drinking enough water.

No need to get defensive. You're actually quite normal. Most people don't drink enough water. Most people are also carrying around a few more pounds than they would be if they did drink enough water. If you can't seem to get that weight off, try drowning your sorrows in nature's magical weight-loss mineral. It works, and here's why:

"What on Earth is 'metabolism', anyway?" People use the term all the time, but ask them what it means and you'll get all kinds of answers. Merriam Webster defines it as, "The process by which a substance is handled in the body." A little vague, but that's really all it means.

There are many forms of metabolism going on in your body right now, but the one everyone is talking about it the metabolism of fat. This is actually something that the liver does when it converts stored fat to energy. The liver has other functions, but this is one of its main jobs.

Unfortunately, another of the liver's duties is to pick up the slack for the kidneys, which need plenty of water to work properly. If the kidneys are water-deprived, the liver has to do their work along with its own, lowering its total productivity. It then can't metabolize fat as quickly or efficiently as it could when the kidneys were pulling their own weight. If you allow this to happen, not only are you being unfair to your liver, but you're also setting yourself up to store fat.

"I've tried it and I couldn't stand it!" The problem is that, though many decide to increase their water intake, very few stick with it. It's understandable. During the first few days of drinking more water than your body is accustomed to, you're running to the bathroom constantly. This can be very discouraging, and it can certainly interfere with an otherwise normal day at work. It seems that the water is coming out just as fast as it's going in, and many people decide that their new hydration habit is fruitless.

Do take heed , though. What is really happening is that your body is flushing itself of the water it has been storing throughout all those years of "survival mode". It takes a while, but this is a beautiful thing happening to you. As you continue to give your body all the water it could ask for, it gets rid of what it doesn't need. It gets rid of the water it was holding onto in your ankles and your hips and thighs, maybe even around your belly. You are excreting much more than you realize. Your body figures it doesn't need to save these stores anymore; it's trusting that the water will keep coming, and if it does, eventually, the flushing (of both the body and the potty) will cease, allowing the human to return to a normal life. It's true. This is called the "breakthrough point."

One recent finding, as irresponsible as it may be, that caffeine increases the body's fat-burning potential has many people loading up on coffee before going to the gym. This finding may hold some degree of truth in it, but caffeine is, in essence, a diuretic, and diuretics dehydrate. Caffeine may increase the heart rate, causing a few more calories to be burned, but this is at the expense of the muscles, which need water to function properly. This isn't doing your heart any favors, either. It's already working hard enough during your workout. Never mix caffeine and exercise. In fact, your best bet is to stay away from caffeine all together. It's a big bully that pushes your friend water out of your system.

Water is the best beauty treatment. You've heard this since high school, and it's true. Water will do wonders for your looks! It flushes out impurities in your skin, leaving you with a clear, glowing complexion. It also makes your skin look younger. Skin that is becoming saggy, either due to aging or weight loss, plumps up very nicely when the skin cells are hydrated.

In addition, it improves muscle tone. You can lift weights until you're blue in the face, but if your muscles are suffering from a drought, you won't notice a pleasant difference in your appearance. Muscles that have all the water they need contract more easily, making your workout more effective, and you'll look much nicer than if you had flabby muscles under sagging skin.

"Eight glasses a day? Are you kidding?!" It's really not that much. Eight 8-ounce glasses amount to about two quarts of water. This is okay for the average person, but if you're overweight, you should drink another eight ounces for every 25 pounds of excess weight you carry. You should also up this if you live in a hot climate or exercise very intensely.

This water consumption should be spread out throughout the day. It's not healthy at all to drink too much water at one time. Try to pick three or four times a day when you can have a big glass of water, and then sip in between. Don't let yourself get thirsty. If you feel thirsty, you're already becoming dehydrated. Drink when you're not thirsty yet.

Do you think water is yucky? Drinking other fluids will certainly help hydrate your body, but the extra calories, sugar, additives and whatever else aren't what you need. Try a slice of lemon or lime in the glass, or if you really think you hate water, try a flavored water. Just make sure you read the labels. Remember that you're going to be consuming a lot of this fluid.

It's probably a good idea to stop drinking water a good three hours before you go to bed. You know why.

"How cold should it be?" This is debatable. Most experts lean toward cold water, because the stomach absorbs it more quickly. There is also some evidence that cold water might enhance fat burning.
On the other hand, warmer water is easier to drink in large quantities, and you might drink more of it without even realizing it. Do whatever suits you, here. Just drink it!

When you drink all the water you need, you will very quickly notice a decrease in your appetite, possibly even on the first day! If you're serious about becoming leaner and healthier, drinking water is an absolute must. If you're doing everything else right and still not seeing results, this might just what's missing.
Nikki - Aussie girl living in the USA with her soul mate. My blog: http://aus2usa.blogspot.com/

Image Image
electrongirl

Postby loveat116 » Tue Jan 22, 2008 11:35 am

wow thanks for that!

i never knew all that stuff about the liver and kidneys. Im definatly going to be getting in my 2L from now on.

Maybe thats why my ankles are always swollen? Cause im dehydrated?
Starting Weight: 62kg Current Weight: 55.0kg Goal Weight: 54kg

Goal Reached 22 February 2008, Must get down to 54kg again!
loveat116

Postby Nobody » Tue Jan 22, 2008 1:34 pm

Wow...
Thanks a lot electrongirl, for such a nice and useful article.

What I wanted to know/discuss about Tea or Coffee was that if we drink Tea or Coffee with hope that it will directly help us in weight loss (not by preventing us from eating), is it OK or is it just a stupid idea?

Another thing that one may wanna talk about is, is drinking a lot of Tea or Coffee a bad habit as Tea and Coffee also have calories in themselves?

I remember back in 2000 I lost a lot of weight, except a lot of exercise at my martial arts school, I use to drink a lot of tea (sometime black tea). And I did get the result as I lost over 25KGs, but can't say how much was tea involved in it.

These days I am drinking about 4-6 cups of Coffee every day as advised by some of my friends.

A lot of people also talk about Green Tea, when talking about weight loss, does anyone has something to share about that?
Nobody

Postby milkyway » Tue Jan 22, 2008 4:38 pm

When you drink a lot of tea or coffee, you consume a lot of caffeine which is a stimulant, but too much can cause you to bloat/retain excess fluid which would have a negative effect on your weightloss.

As far as calories go, it would depend on how you have your tea/coffee - black or with milk, sugar etc. I don't drink either so don't know off the top of my head.

I think it's all about moderation. I don't think there's any substitute for portion control, eating healthy and doing plenty of exercise, otherwise none of would be here :P
Just keep moving! And don't be lazy...
------------------------
SW: 74.3kg - 1/1/09
CW: 71.1kg - 3/5/09
GW 62kg
milkyway

Postby EvilWombatQueen » Tue Jan 22, 2008 7:51 pm

Caffeine can help while exercising. A study that was reported recently in the media showed that it helps burn fat more efficiently and increases endurance.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/3122319.stm

Coffee is also slight diuretic and can boost metabolism.
http://coffeefaq.com/site/node/6

Caffeine can act as an appetite suppressant as well, but its effect is very brief.
http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/caffeine/HQ00369

The benefits of caffeine in weight loss, according to the Mayo Clinic article listed above, are outweighed by its negative effects. Consumed in large quantities caffeine can increase your blood pressure and heart rate, cause problems sleeping, and increase irritability. Plus they point out many caffeinated beverages are high in calories.

Green tea has been shown to be very beneficial in the diet. It's full of anti-oxidants and has been shown to reduce the rates of certain types of cancer. Green tea contains a phytochemical called EGCG, which has been shown to reduce appetite significantly in rats (though the rats were injected with EGCG rather than ingesting it, and the researchers said it was unlikely that drinking green tea in normal amounts would be likely to produce such a dramatic effect). Green tea differs from black tea because it is not fermented, which leaves a lot of beneficial chemicals that are destroyed in the creation of black tea.

Article about EGCG as an appetite suppressant:
http://www.uchospitals.edu/news/2000/20000223-tea.html

One site I found claims EGCG also increases calories burnt in normal everyday activities, similar to the extra fat burning produced by caffeine but far stronger. The site also cites a couple of studies that claim EGCG can boost metabolism and generally aid weight loss.
http://www.thedietchannel.com/Green-Tea ... Weight.htm

Studies done into green tea and weight loss:
http://www.ajcn.org/cgi/content/abstract/81/1/122
http://www.ajcn.org/cgi/content/abstract/70/6/1040

It's not a miracle drug, though. A couple of cups of green tea may have a slight beneficial effect but it's no substitute for a healthy diet and exercise. But there's certainly no harm in including it in your diet. I usually have one or two cups of green tea a day and I think it's great.

Hope this helps!
EvilWombatQueen

Postby hysterical_oliver » Tue Jan 22, 2008 10:15 pm

Because caffeine is dehydrating I've read it is a good idea to have a glass of water for every caffeine drink you have to balance it out. Water is most important as you can see by all the other informative posts, you can do it all without caffeine :D
14th September 2007 125kg
Current Weight 102kg
Goal Weight 60kg
hysterical_oliver

Postby Nobody » Tue Jan 22, 2008 10:53 pm

Thanks a lot everyone for your cooperation.

so the summary seems to be is:
1. we should try to avoid a lot of tea or coffee.
2. drinking moderate amount of green tea is useful.
3. drinking a lot of water is a good idea, or may I say it is necessary.
4. exercise and cotrolled diet is important.

any comments about this summary please.
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wpAETT8/]
[/url]
Nobody

Postby EvilWombatQueen » Tue Jan 22, 2008 10:56 pm

I think you've nailed it on the head, Nobody. :)
EvilWombatQueen

Return to Ask the Mob