It is currently Tue Oct 25, 2016 9:17 pm

Free Newsletter

How do you stay motivated?

Got questions about weight loss? Ask the mob, they're sure to have the answers!

Moderator: Moderators

How do you stay motivated?

Postby ali76 » Wed Jan 23, 2008 1:19 pm

Hi all,

Just wondering how everyone keeps motivated on this weight loss journey.

I'm guessing I'm not the only one who gets to the stage where you start thinking this is too hard, maybe this is just my shape and how I'm supposed to be, my motabolism isn't the same as the other girls....blah, blah, blah!

I'm sure we all have our goals and see pics of ourselves and smaller clothes we want to fit into...but what is it in you that keeps you going??
SW - 75.9
CW - 68
Happy weight - 68 (I MADE IT!!!)
GW - 65 (for now - and until I conceive!)

Postby EvilWombatQueen » Wed Jan 23, 2008 1:55 pm

My motivation changes from day to day.

On good days it's to get healthy. If I lose weight it will help heaps in improving my plantar fasciitis. If my PF clears up and I lose weight it will be easier to run. If it's easier to run then I can run regularly without injury and eventually run a marathon.

On my totally narcissistic and shallow days it's to look HAWT. I used to look quite good when I was younger (though of course I didn't think so at the time - youth is soooo wasted on the young!) I want to get thin so guys start wolf-whistling out of cars at me again. Then I can start whingeing about guys wolf-whistling out of cars at me again, but at least I'll look great while doing it.

And on my absolute rubbish days where I just don't care and all I want to do is eat chocolate, the only thing that motivates me is how I know I'll feel after eating a healthy meal/snack or doing my exercise. That feeling of accomplishment, the endorphin rush, and the gleeful smugness of having actually stuck to my program. And even then I have to take it ten minutes at a time (I'm hungry. I'll grab a piece of fruit instead of a sandwich. I don't want to exercise. Dammit I'm going to exercise anyway, etc.)

Right now my main motivation is that my sister has also decided to lose weight as well. No way is that cow going to get thin before me! :wink:

Postby wannabehealthy » Sat Jan 26, 2008 11:07 am

Postby Fiona25 » Sat Jan 26, 2008 12:35 pm

I find staying motivated with eating the hardest because i've always craved junk - I just love junk food! I try to think about what it is doing to my body. Apart from putting on weight and making me feel sick and yuck, my heart and other organs are having to work 10 x harder and that is no reward for all the great things my body does for me!

I can have great motivation and self control but once I have a craving I have to have something, I feel like I physcially can't stop myself! Its like my mind is so determined to binge that even if I hancuffed myself to a chair, my mind would jump out, go get some chips or chocolate throw it in my mouth and jump back inside my head :oops:

However, when I eat crap I do more exercise for longer and more intensly to pay for it. I really enjoy the challenge of exercise and have such a variety of things to do that it really is impossible for me to get bored. I will do something new each time I get bored. My variety includes walking, running, horse riding, swimming, fitness circuit, free weights at home, pilates, tae bo, leg magic, sit ups and push ups, running diving and catching while playing frisbee. I try and do 2-3different things a day. The thought of my body toning and slimming for this exercise make me really keen to keep going, besides, its fun :D

I'd love to do so many more things if I lived in an area that had classes and facilities.
Saying goodbye to calorie counting AND scales for a while.

Just enjoying the new and improved healthy me and embracing my new lifestyle!

Re: How do you stay motivated?

Postby GoddessInside » Mon Jan 28, 2008 9:30 am

I stay motivated by the following:

1. I look at how far I've come ! I've never lost this amount of weight at any attempt !
2. Progress photo's to see my progress
3. My fitness has improved drastically; I love being able to walk without getting out of breath ( unless im doing a power session ;) )
4. I can see the positive changes in my life already; more mobile, fit, able to do things I havent done in ages.

There's heaps more, but they're the basics :)
SW: 233.2kgs - Nov 2012
SW148.0kgs - 14 Oct 2014
CW 141.2kgs
GW 132kg

Return to Ask the Mob