It is currently Wed Dec 07, 2016 7:39 pm

Free Newsletter

Diet and Exercise Together

Got questions about weight loss? Ask the mob, they're sure to have the answers!

Moderator: Moderators

Diet and Exercise Together

Postby Nobody » Thu Jan 24, 2008 1:58 pm

Hello All,

It has been about a month since I have been going for jogging (then walk back to home) in the mornings with a couple of partners. We started from a jogging/walking of about 1Km, and after a month we can now go around 2(and half) to 3Kms everyday and then walk back home. This jogging/walking is a big part of my daily exercise.

My problem is when I try to control my diet along with exercise, I start feeling myself weak. And I can hardly run about 1 (and half) Kms, and I start losing myself (my breathing goes out of control, and I start feeling an unacceptable pain in my calves), while on the other end, if keep taking a healthy diet along with snack and middle meals I can easily run 3Kms and am still ready to go more, which I don't do however because I have stay around my partners.

My small middle meals are usually meaty (and rich in calories) or fast foods.

This is causing me a lot of trouble,
- Whether to keep a healthy diet along with exercise
- Whether to control my diet and reduce the amount of exercises
- Whether to go for some food supplements

Just can't figure out what to do.

Has anyone suffered such situation?
Can anyone help?
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wpAETT8/]
[/url]
Nobody

Postby EvilWombatQueen » Thu Jan 24, 2008 4:22 pm

Before you decide to change your diet or exercise program drastically I'd recommend looking at what you eat or drink just prior to exercise. If you start running in the morning without having had breakfast your body will probably run out of energy very quickly. So all it might take is having a small breakfast an hour beforehand or even just an energy bar before doing your morning exercise.

Or have you tried having a sports drink before you go for a run? Often it's not possible to eat a meal before exercise in the mornings without risking a cramp or having to get up an hour earlier just to let your meal settle. You might find an energy drink or sports bar is all you need to get you through the run. From the sounds of things your body is running out of glycogen and that's why you 'hit the wall'. Sports drinks and energy bars contain sugars which, while being relatively high in calories, enable the body to quickly produce the glycogen needed for exercise.

Try this out and see if it works. If it doesn't then perhaps look at modifying the rest of your diet. I don't think you need to consider giving up exercise, though. A run in the morning will definitely help your weight loss and will benefit your overall health.
EvilWombatQueen

Postby EvilWombatQueen » Thu Jan 24, 2008 4:26 pm

I forgot to ask: when you run and follow a healthy diet including snacks and lunch are you still losing weight? If so then I think that could be your answer. Just keep to healthy eating and keep running. When you say 'controlling' your diet, how drastic are you being? Are you cutting out too many carbohydrates which could deplete your glycogen stores? Are you cutting out all of your snacks? Maybe you should have some fruit between meals to keep your energy levels up.

With a healthy balanced diet even while losing weight you should have enough energy to go running.
EvilWombatQueen

Re: Diet and Exercise Together

Postby Nobody » Tue Jan 29, 2008 3:32 am

Hi

First of all, sorry for delayed response.
Except of being very busy last days, I also encountered some problem with this board, perhaps there was some kind of update in progress.

Anyway, let's move on to the topic

You have asked if I am losing weight by exercise while I am taking healthy diet.
the answer is that I am not losing any weight while I keep a healthy diet, that's why I have to think about controlling my diet along with exercise. In fact I think if my exercise can only help me not gaining any further weight while I take a healthy diet, that'll be great.

Currently I don't take anything before going for jogging in the morning. I just wake up, put on some cloths and go....
some times I drink one or half glass of water before going to jogging, that's the maximum.

as far as a small break fast 1 hour before going to jogging is concern, I don't think that's possible for me because I just wake up and go, usually my partners have to wake me up in morning, because I don't wake up myself.

However, I am thinking about reducing my diet by little, so that it won't hurt my daily needs by much.
[/url]
Nobody

Postby Fiona25 » Tue Jan 29, 2008 7:15 am

If your diet is healthy and balanced, you shouldn't be running out of energy, you should have more of it!

What would a typical diet be for you each day?

I eat 5 meals a day, there is no way I could keep up with my 90mins of exercise a day without morning and afternoon tea. It might be fruit, protein bar or yoghurt, but I have to have something. How about eating 3 good meals and having some fruit in between meals? Fruit is a good source of natural carbs so might give you the extra kick you need, you should definitely notice weight loss from exercise and a healthy balanced diet.

Well done on the jogging, you're going great!
Saying goodbye to calorie counting AND scales for a while.

Just enjoying the new and improved healthy me and embracing my new lifestyle!
Fiona25

Postby Nobody » Tue Jan 29, 2008 1:56 pm

Thanks for your thoughts Fiona,

I take three regular timed meals, except that use to take a lot of small middle meals which usually consist of Sweets, Bakery, Meat and Fast food. I am sure that fast foods are not very important for my required energy so in first step I am trying to avoid fast foods. In next step I am thinking about reducing some sweets and bakery stuff but unlike avoiding fast food at all, I'll be trying to just cut short the amount of sweet/bakery stuff. I think that would work.

And yes, my jogging is very important for weight loss, these days I am asking my partners to increase the distance, but they are not being able to do it. So I/we still run about 3Kms, but I know I can now go at least one Km further easily. Let's hope they can increase their staminas as well, so we can go a little further.
[/url]
Nobody

Postby hysterical_oliver » Tue Jan 29, 2008 6:40 pm

I find I cannot do morning exercise without having a small meal (just to give me the energy to get started)compared to being able to work my butt off if I have eaten. As EWQ suggested maybe try a breakfast bar or similar small meal before you go?

By the way how is your weightloss looking? I noticed you haven't updated your ticker at all :mrgreen:
14th September 2007 125kg
Current Weight 102kg
Goal Weight 60kg
hysterical_oliver

Postby Nobody » Wed Jan 30, 2008 11:55 am

Hi Oliver,

thanks for your thoughts, as you said I have not updated my weight loss ticker at all, hopefully I'll update it today or tomorrow. I have just been a little too busy these days so was unable to do it.
[/url]
Nobody

Return to Ask the Mob