It is currently Thu Dec 08, 2016 11:12 am

Free Newsletter

Do you need to be on a program for good results?

Got questions about weight loss? Ask the mob, they're sure to have the answers!

Moderator: Moderators

Do you need to be on a program for good results?

Postby Shay » Fri Feb 01, 2008 1:48 am

Hi everyone,

I've been browsing here a couple of days, and it seems a lot of people are following some sort of program like using meal replacements, diets etc. I'm focussing on eating healthy and exercising at least 30 mins a day. Is that enough for results or should I be doing something a bit more intense? Particularly if I need to drop 2 dress sizes by July.

Ta muchly :D
Had my baby girl Leah on 13/12/10!

Weight at 40 weeks: 81.5kg
SW 4 days post-baby: 74.4kg
CW: 67kg

1st mini goal: 72kg - DONE!
2nd mini goal: 70kg - DONE!
3rd mini goal: 67kg - DONE!

4th mini goal: 64kg
Shay

Re: Do you need to be on a program for good results?

Postby loveat116 » Fri Feb 01, 2008 9:51 am

You don't need to be on a plan at all.

I lost all my weight with eating healthy and exercising, and so have a lot of people on here.

As long as your calories in are less than your calories out you should lose weight. Calorie Counting is a plan itself, you could try that? its free too!
Starting Weight: 62kg Current Weight: 55.0kg Goal Weight: 54kg

Goal Reached 22 February 2008, Must get down to 54kg again!
loveat116

Postby EvilWombatQueen » Fri Feb 01, 2008 10:58 am

Hi Shay. As Loveat116 said, it's all about calories in totalling less than your calories out regardless of what plan you're on. People have different methods of achieving this, so it's just a matter of finding a way that suits you.

Healthy eating and exercise is great provided you know exactly what foods are healthy and what aren't and you don't have portion size issues (that was always my big problem so this method didn't work for me).

Calorie counting is great if you enjoy monitoring everything you eat and adding up the calories. Some people love this level of control, others find it too time consuming and confusing. I find calorieking.com.au (which I found out about on this forum) works very well for this.

Most programs use different ways to ensure you limit your calorie intake. It's just a matter of finding a method that works for you. Whether that means you need to go on a plan or continue what you're doing now just depends on what suits you. There's no one solution that fits everyone. If there were there wouldn't be so many different plans out there, there would be one that works 100% of the time and that would be it!

Good luck. I hope you find a weight loss method that suits you!
EvilWombatQueen

Postby Butterfly_Dawn » Fri Feb 08, 2008 2:22 pm

I'm not on a plan (well, not a commercial one - I'm on the Tegan's eating healthy and exercising more plan :D )

I started with walking/jogging, then got a bike and just made changes to my eating (foods and amounts). That's it. Horses for courses though - if you think a 'plan' might be for you, try it!
35kg lost. (November 2005 - October 2006)
15kg gained again (as at October 2010).
Back to the drawing board - Let's do this thing!

"You can't change the winds, but you can change the sails"

"Reach out and take control of what lands in your lap"

Butterfly_Dawn

Postby LaurenJ » Mon Feb 25, 2008 1:36 pm

All diets work if you stick to them. Its just that some of them are hard to stick to in the long run. Calorie counting is the best way, in my opinion... once you have figured out how many calories you can have you just have to eat that amount to lose weight. Sometimes to make it easier for me I choose the night before what I am going to eat the following day and put it on its own shelf in the fridge, and when its gone... no more eating. Another trick I have is to work out the calorie count of some meals I eat on a regular basis, and snacks etc and enter them into an exercise book on a page with other meals of a similar calorie count.... ie a cup of coffee might be on the 50 calorie page, and a fried egg on toast will be on the 200 calorie page. I just open the book and choose what fits the level I need to keep to.
Image Me BeforeImageMe After
LaurenJ

Postby Blackdog » Mon Feb 25, 2008 9:54 pm

I like the meal replacement programs because, frankly, I don't have the time or patience to work out a nutritionally balanced eating plan for myself. Also, the preparation time for diets that I know do work is just not viable at the moment.

I think different things suit different people. When I was in my twenties, I only had to cut out chips and kebabs for a couple of weeks and the kilos would drop off....now I exercise like a maniac and eat like a health nut and just can't get the scale to budge! :?

You have to find what suits you.
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wXv1iUA/]
[/url]
Blackdog

Postby Carlos » Fri Feb 29, 2008 1:38 am

Shay wrote:Hi everyone,

I've been browsing here a couple of days, and it seems a lot of people are following some sort of program like using meal replacements, diets etc. I'm focussing on eating healthy and exercising at least 30 mins a day. Is that enough for results or should I be doing something a bit more intense? Particularly if I need to drop 2 dress sizes by July.

Ta muchly :D

Not at all, I've lost 10 kilograms in 2 months by just watching what I eat and having smaller portions.. Also exercising for 30 minutes every couple of days helps alot.
http://www.weightloss.com.au/forum/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=13874&p=145759#p145759

Start: 135kg
Current: 85kg
Goal: 75kg
Carlos

Return to Ask the Mob