It is currently Sat Dec 03, 2016 6:49 am

Free Newsletter

HELP with calorie goal for my Mum.

Got questions about weight loss? Ask the mob, they're sure to have the answers!

Moderator: Moderators

HELP with calorie goal for my Mum.

Postby shaz73 » Sun Feb 03, 2008 4:01 pm

Hi all.

I've been working out how many calories my Mum can have to lose weight.

She has rheumatoid arthritis so atm cannot do exercise that aggravates her joints. She could do aqua aerobics but she doesn't drive & would rely on Dad to take her. :|

Anyway...

These are Mums details

Weight: 102kg
Height: 167.5cm
I put her in as Sedentary - Inactive.

When I enter in all these details, the Daily Energy Needs calculator comes up that she burns 2000 calories/day.

For Mum to have a deficit of 1300 calories to lose weight, that means she will only be able consume 700 calories/day. I don't think ANYONE could have the will power to do that!! :? Am I calculating wrong? Obviously if Mum exercises, she will be able to consume more calories but exercise is difficult atm.

I just talked to Mum & she would be able to do half an hour on the rowing machine. She could possibly do this twice/day. She also said she could do leg lifts on the bed & sit-ups. But I don't know how many calories the leg lifts & sit-ups would burn. What category would I put those under? Doing half an hour of rowing machine would burn 405 calories so there's an extra 405 calories she could consume & still keep her in the 1300 deficit.

I think I'm answering my own question!!! Ha ha ha ha!! :shock:

So...

To maintain current weight: 2000 calories
Minus: 1300 calories=
Energy Goal: 700 calories
+Rowing 1/2 hour 405 calories=
1105calories may be consumed/day

What are your thoughts on this? Any suggestions? Can anyone help me to work out the calories burnt for leg lifts & sit-ups?

I really appreciate your help on this.

Thanks.
Shaz.
Proud Mum of 4 - it's the best job I've ever had!

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wgt4vP2/]
shaz73

Re: HELP with calorie goal for my Mum.

Postby milkyway » Sun Feb 03, 2008 4:54 pm

I think the general rule of thumb is to never eat less that 1200 calories and given your mum's stats, I'm sure that min number would be MUCH higher.

Also, given your mum's age and health, I'd highly recommend that she sees a healthcare professional, even her GP for advice rather than relying on the forum for answers.
Just keep moving! And don't be lazy...
------------------------
SW: 74.3kg - 1/1/09
CW: 71.1kg - 3/5/09
GW 62kg
milkyway

Postby shaz73 » Sun Feb 03, 2008 6:19 pm

milkyway wrote:I think the general rule of thumb is to never eat less that 1200 calories and given your mum's stats, I'm sure that min number would be MUCH higher.

Also, given your mum's age and health, I'd highly recommend that she sees a healthcare professional, even her GP for advice rather than relying on the forum for answers.

Thanks Milkyway.

Yeah, I'm sure she'll talk to her GP when she sees him next. I just thought - like you - that the min number would be higher also. That's why I thought I'd ask on the forum. But I entered those details in the Daily Energy Needs calculator on weightloss.com & that's where I got the figures from.

But until she see's her GP, we'll just keep her cals to 1200 if that's the recommended minimum.

Thanks again. :)
Proud Mum of 4 - it's the best job I've ever had!

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wgt4vP2/]
shaz73

Postby milkyway » Sun Feb 03, 2008 8:52 pm

I don't think it's the recommended minimum for just anyone and everyone. For me, it would be, but I think it would be around 1800 for your mum. But glad to hear that she'll talk to her GP about it :)
Just keep moving! And don't be lazy...
------------------------
SW: 74.3kg - 1/1/09
CW: 71.1kg - 3/5/09
GW 62kg
milkyway

Postby hysterical_oliver » Mon Feb 04, 2008 1:59 am

Even if it's small, a deficit is all you really need. say 500cal instead of 1300cal. So what if it's a slower loss it's still the right direction :D Def check with her GP though they will be able to give all the right info :D
14th September 2007 125kg
Current Weight 102kg
Goal Weight 60kg
hysterical_oliver

Return to Ask the Mob