It is currently Sat Dec 10, 2016 4:18 am

Free Newsletter

Could I be depressed?

Got questions about weight loss? Ask the mob, they're sure to have the answers!

Moderator: Moderators

Could I be depressed?

Postby electrongirl » Fri Feb 08, 2008 11:25 am

I am beginning to suspect I may have depression.

I feel hopeless pretty much all of the time.

I have changed jobs so many times because I get to a stage where I feel like they are expecting to much of me and treating me badly, this can't be true of 4 different employees could it?

I have little to no motivation to do anything, cooking, cleaning, exercise. I can't sleep so I am so tired all the time.

I worry about everything all day. I get like a rock in the pit of my stomach alot.

I get headaches and migraines and get really snappy for no reason.

I am seeing a doctor this afternoon, but just wanted some opinions from you guys.

Thanks
Nikki - Aussie girl living in the USA with her soul mate. My blog: http://aus2usa.blogspot.com/

Image Image
electrongirl

Re: Could I be depressed?

Postby Jodie91 » Fri Feb 08, 2008 11:38 am

My hubby in on anti depressents and what you describe sounds like alot of what he went through but ask your Dr and see what they suggest. If they dont think it is a problem then try St Johns wart from the heath food shop it is good for depression and a natural choice, i had it for post natal depression (only mild thou) and it worked a treat. But again discuss it with the heath food person as I dont know your history and am not a Dr :)
Hope it works out for you
Cheers
Jodie
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wZZJpxa/]
[/url]
HOW WOULD YOU MAKE A MARRIAGE WORK?
Tell your wife that she looks pretty, even if she looks like a truck. -- Ricky, age 10
Jodie91

Postby Mandie » Fri Feb 08, 2008 11:41 am

Symptoms of depression:

feelings of worthlessness, guilt, inability to cope
thinking morbid/sad thoughts
unable to enjoy anything
loss of motivation
insomnia/somnolence (sleeping too much)
decreased appetite/increased appetite
tearfulness
moodiness

Sounds like you have a few of those Nikki. Everyone has "down" periods, but if these sort of symptoms last longer than 2 weeks, (bit different if there's a bereavement in the family, but generally, 2 weeks) then it is best to see your doctor. Ask your doctor today about the free psychologist sessions you can get through Medicare - you can get 6 free sessions now if your GP refers you.

Good luck getting through this Nikki.
Mandie

Postby electrongirl » Fri Feb 08, 2008 11:45 am

thanks Mandie, I think I have most of those symptoms and have had them quite some time!

I was actually diagnosed with depression when I was in my early 20's but I also was in a bad place with my life then too, bad relationship, my son being diagnosed with Fragile X all sorts of things.

I just hope there's something that can help me feel normal again!
Nikki - Aussie girl living in the USA with her soul mate. My blog: http://aus2usa.blogspot.com/

Image Image
electrongirl

Postby ali76 » Fri Feb 08, 2008 12:04 pm

EG, I suffer from depression and it's a horrible thing - I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy.

I think you're doing the best thing by going to see your doctor about it - especially if you've suffered from it before.

If you do go down the route of natural therapies, just be warned that things like St Johns Wart can interfer with other medications like the pill!!

Sleeplessness as well as sleeping all the time (which is what I do) is a symptom of depression as you know, but not being able to sleep could also be causing the other symptoms like headaches, mood swings, etc. Reasons for not sleeping could be simple and maybe need to be explored before taking medication. Have a massage to help you relax, see a chiropractor to make sure your spine is aligned (it can casue havoc with your WHOLE body if it's not), try meditation, do you wear glasses - do you need your eyes checked?

But - if you decide you do need medication, DON'T BE ASHAMED OF IT!! We all need to ask for help for things. Mental illness has such awful stigma attached to it, but it is an illness. If you had a bacterial infection, you'd take anti-biotics to help clear it, so anti depressants are nothing to be ashamed of.

Good luck hun. Let us know how you get on - and you can always PM me if you need to.

Big hugs xoxoxox

PS - thanks Mandie for the info on the medicare funded psychologist visits....why didn't I know about this!?!?!
SW - 75.9
CW - 68
Happy weight - 68 (I MADE IT!!!)
GW - 65 (for now - and until I conceive!)
ali76

Postby Mandie » Fri Feb 08, 2008 12:09 pm

Ali - lots of doctors don't even know - it's a new thing they brought in last year :) So if your GP doesn't know about it, tell him/her!

And I just want to second that thing about medication. St John's Wort can be a great natural remedy but it interacts with a lot of different medications and is not suitable for people with liver problems, so make sure you check with your doctor/pharmacist before you take it. And with other medications - just try and figure out what works for you - remember that most antidepressants can take up to 6 weeks to work, so give them a decent go before discounting them. And you need to take them at least 6 months otherwise the risk of relapse is really high. You can discuss all this with your doctor.

Lastly, as Ali already said - you don't have to ever be ashamed of taking anti-depressants - if you have clinical depression, there is a chemical imbalance in your brain.. you need the drugs to sort out the chemical imbalance.. that's it! It's an illness, you need medication to fix it.
Mandie

Postby Butterfly_Dawn » Fri Feb 08, 2008 12:19 pm

Ditto what Mandie said.
Generally what I know of depression studies (off the top of my head) says that treatment is best if it involves psychological approaches (i.e. not just relying on drugs) - that said, drugs can be very effective for some people.

Yes psychologists are now under medicare, however you MAY have to pay some kind of gap, just like with doctors. Universities who teach psychology often have an associated clinic which are very low cost and are of a very high standard - if there is one close, I'd look into it as a cost effective option.
35kg lost. (November 2005 - October 2006)
15kg gained again (as at October 2010).
Back to the drawing board - Let's do this thing!

"You can't change the winds, but you can change the sails"

"Reach out and take control of what lands in your lap"

Butterfly_Dawn

Postby electrongirl » Fri Feb 08, 2008 3:22 pm

ok, I just got back from the doctor and let me just say this before anything else I LOVE MY DOCTOR!! she is fantastic! I have only seen her a handful of times as she is new but she is so nice and understanding and is just lovely.

Anyway I went in and she asked if I was ok as I had only been there 2 days earlier with an earache. Anyway I burst into tears and told her how I had been feeling and she was just so nice. She got me to fill out this questionaire thingy that determines the level of anxiety, stress and depression and my results were the maximums in each one!! She said she was very relieved I had come to see her as I was obviously going through alot. There were lots of tears from me!!!

Anyway she has given me Zoloft and explained exactly how it worked, all the side affects, etc. She asked me alot of questions which I thought was fabulous.

Also I have to promise to doing 10 mins of cardio a day. She wants me to get a skipping rope and a good sports bra!! hahaha

And I am not allowed Caffiene because of my anxiety levels!! MAN!!!! I looove my coffee.. dammit

But I think I am on the road to better things.

Image Image
electrongirl

Postby ali76 » Fri Feb 08, 2008 3:31 pm

Oh good....I'm so glad you have a caring doctor who asks questions (AND listens!) and doesn't just hand out prescriptions!

I've never tried Zoloft so can't really comment on the side effects, but I'm sure you'll read up on them!

Good luck, I really hope you're feeling better soon - if by some chance you're not, you know where we are! :)

xo
SW - 75.9
CW - 68
ali76

Postby Mandie » Fri Feb 08, 2008 3:32 pm

Sounds like a pretty sensible plan Nikki - good luck!
Mandie

Postby ali76 » Sat Feb 09, 2008 10:28 am

How are you feeling about things Nikki?

Hope the sun is shining on you :P

xoxox
SW - 75.9
CW - 68
ali76

Postby electrongirl » Sat Feb 09, 2008 11:06 am

well today I woke up with the WORST headache!! But I am feeling optimistic!!!

I took my first zoloft yesterday and it made me REALLY drowsy!! But I think that will pass (hopefully!!)

I want to thank you all for being so supportive. I dont have any real friends I can talk about this to, I mean I have my husband but I hate unload everything on him!!

Image Image
electrongirl

Postby Jodie91 » Sat Feb 09, 2008 11:24 am

My hubbys on antidepressents (diferent brand) and they make him drowse too he was told to take them about 1 hour before bed might be something that works for you too.

Hope things look up for you soon thinking of you
Cheers
Jodie
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wZZJpxa/]
[/url]
HOW WOULD YOU MAKE A MARRIAGE WORK?
Tell your wife that she looks pretty, even if she looks like a truck. -- Ricky, age 10
Jodie91

Postby JP1 » Sat Feb 09, 2008 8:20 pm

hope you are feeling better soon Nikki :)
Highs : 107 Kg (24 Sept 2007) : 113.5 Kg (12 Jan 2014) : 112.5 Kg (26 Jan 2016)
Current :99.2 Kg (31 May 2016)
Lows : 78.4 Kg (20 May 2008) : 87.4 Kg (on 16 Dec in both 2009 & 2010) : 82.9 Kg (14 Apr 2011) : 87.1 Kg (4 Jul 2011) : 90.5 Kg (14 Jul 2014)
Target : 94 Kgs by 15th Jul
JP1

Postby big_love » Mon Feb 11, 2008 3:57 pm

hi nikki, Im glad you went to see a doctor (a nice doctor at that. These days, a lot of doctors are after the quick buck of getting through "customers" as fast as they can, well in my town anyway. Hence why I dont go to doctors). I hope you are feeling better. ((hugs)) :mrgreen:
140/117/85
big_love

Next

Return to Ask the Mob