It is currently Fri Dec 09, 2016 10:37 pm

Free Newsletter

Could I be depressed?

Got questions about weight loss? Ask the mob, they're sure to have the answers!

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Could I be depressed?

Postby mimosa8 » Tue Feb 12, 2008 4:23 pm

I am a psyche nurse.

You do sound like you have depression.

What other factors are there? supports? hobbies, coping mechanisms.

If you didnt want to try antidepressants.. I would try samE (a natural one) or st johns wort.
Also get some exercise in.

Look at your diet. your brain needs certain amino acids to make neurochemicals (eg, dopamine. serotonin, noradrenaline)

serotonin is the feel good chemical
Noradrenaline/ dopamine is energy motivation etc.

If you do want to try AD's try ssri's first and be aware of their side effects.
Speak to your doctor, hope you find one that is empathetic.

Also get dr to do a blood test if you are low in certain nutrients it can mimic depresssion eg, thyroud function, vitamin b, iron etc.

Dont lose hope, things can change and you will feel better. You have always been supportive and friendly on this site and you are well liked.

All the best
mimosa
mimosa8

Postby electrongirl » Tue Feb 12, 2008 7:46 pm

mimosa8 wrote:I am a psyche nurse.

You do sound like you have depression.

What other factors are there? supports? hobbies, coping mechanisms.

If you didnt want to try antidepressants.. I would try samE (a natural one) or st johns wort.
Also get some exercise in.

Look at your diet. your brain needs certain amino acids to make neurochemicals (eg, dopamine. serotonin, noradrenaline)

serotonin is the feel good chemical
Noradrenaline/ dopamine is energy motivation etc.

If you do want to try AD's try ssri's first and be aware of their side effects.
Speak to your doctor, hope you find one that is empathetic.

Also get dr to do a blood test if you are low in certain nutrients it can mimic depresssion eg, thyroud function, vitamin b, iron etc.

Dont lose hope, things can change and you will feel better. You have always been supportive and friendly on this site and you are well liked.

All the best
mimosa

only support I have is my hubby. Neither of us have any family or close friends here.

I have been to the doctor and have been on Zoloft for a few days now.

My diet is pretty good, I try to get a balanced diet with all the right stuff. I had blood tests done last week also and will get the results back tomorrow.

I am feeling alot more positive about things now.
Nikki - Aussie girl living in the USA with her soul mate. My blog: http://aus2usa.blogspot.com/

Image Image
electrongirl

Postby ForMe » Wed Feb 13, 2008 12:49 pm

Hi Nikki
just wanted to add that I was on Zoloft some years ago and they do make you drowsy but only in the first week or so. Once they are in your system you don't notice any physical effect at all, I mean negative physical effect. I should qualify that and say that was my experience on them and it may not be the same for others. I do hope that you start to feel better soon. I am new around here and I have read some of your posts but don't know your whole story. I will say however that my personal experience of depression (3 x over 24 adult years) is that you get better at working out the whys and wherefors each time you put yourself through the process of getting better. It helps to think of it as a journey of self-discovery just like any other and it can help to embrace the down times along with better times in your life, as an opportunity to know yourself better, to re-align your priorities and to give yourself more positive self-talk. I know that all sounds very hard when you are feeling so low, but when the light begins to hit the window (which it will), and you find that you can look up, you'll see things from a different perspective and find yourself smiling. In the meantime, I reckon you're doing all the right things to get there.

I was a bit down myself last night but not to the degree you are going through at all. I had a little tanty about the fact that my hair keeps falling out in big wads and I am really annoyed about it. I was annoyed about a couple of other things too, more annoyed at myself really. Anyway, I told myself to stop being so ridiculous (I mean stop complaining and just do something about it) and think of all the difficult challenges and trials that other souls have to bear in this world. The self-talk worked and within 5 mins I was bouncing around making a delish dinner feeling very grateful that I could do just that. When you are depressed though it is hard to find that helping voice within. I really hope that all you are doing will help you hear it soon.

Hayles
xx
ForMe: Hayles
ForMe

Postby electrongirl » Wed Feb 13, 2008 9:48 pm

Oh I hear the voice!! It usually never shuts up!! But it doesn't usually say much that makes sense!! haha

Well I went back to the doctor today and took hubby along. My blood tests came back all good. She is organising me counselling which I am actually looking forward to!
Nikki - Aussie girl living in the USA with her soul mate. My blog: http://aus2usa.blogspot.com/

Image Image
electrongirl

Postby ***absolute_zero*** » Thu Feb 14, 2008 10:11 am

Glad to hear your bloods came back good :) I suffer from panic attacks and depression. The best thing I did was give up on all full caffeine coffee/tea and soft drink :) Moccona Decaffeinated coffee is very nice :) If you think you will miss coffee. Another thing is exercise, it helps Im sure your already exercising but it has really helped me alot. Meditation is great too if your breathing is out of whack, the counseling will help alot it did for me anyway :)

Best Wishes Niki :)
~~~Hugs Tam~~~

The way to get started is to quit talking and begin doing.

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wzOso3A/]
[/url]

***absolute_zero***

Postby Butterfly_Dawn » Thu Feb 14, 2008 3:17 pm

Hi Nikki,
glad your doc is being helpful and that you're feeling a little better now. Hopefully the counselling goes well for you too!
35kg lost. (November 2005 - October 2006)
15kg gained again (as at October 2010).
Back to the drawing board - Let's do this thing!

"You can't change the winds, but you can change the sails"

"Reach out and take control of what lands in your lap"

Butterfly_Dawn

Postby ali76 » Thu Feb 14, 2008 3:57 pm

Thats great...I'm so glad you're feeling better - and have such a lovely doctor. That's half my problem I think - I don't like my doctor!

Also great about the counselling....something I think I should still do!

Keep us updated to how you're going :)

xo
SW - 75.9
CW - 68
Happy weight - 68 (I MADE IT!!!)
GW - 65 (for now - and until I conceive!)
ali76

Postby ForMe » Thu Feb 21, 2008 1:17 pm

Hi Nikki, sounds like you are feeeling a little better. Good to hear. Hope it continues. You are a really great support around here and I can only wish you the best.

Hayles
xx
ForMe: Hayles
ForMe

Postby electrongirl » Thu Feb 21, 2008 4:09 pm

I am feeling alot better. I still have days when I feel down but not as bad as I was.

I can't wait to start the counselling sessions, am still waiting for that to start.

Alot of things we have been stressing about have been sorted out so thats a big help too!

Image Image
electrongirl

Postby bferbear » Fri Feb 22, 2008 8:46 am

Glad to hear you are beginning to pick up, my ex suffered from depression and i saw firsthand how debilitating it was for her. You are lucky that you have such a supportive husband through this too, I was not as strong as him and after 3 years of fairly huge mood swings and refusing to get help I had to think of what was best for me, and I left the relationship.

BTW, I still stand by my theory that a pair of k-mart sunglasses would have been cheaper than a sports bra to solve the skipping dilemma, but if it works for you..........
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wfrtWWa/]
[/url]
bferbear

Postby Dave » Sat Feb 23, 2008 10:38 pm

I tried the pills, and they also made me drowsy and MORE DEPRESSED! They do nothing but keep you down...A healthy dose of sunshine/diet and activity was all I needed. My outlook & opinions are pretty much the same...I guess the profesionals will have to write me off on somthing else... :lol:

Life as it,s ups and downs...hope you have a good run :wink:
"Action may not always bring happiness, but there is no happiness without action"
.................. Image...............
Dave

Postby electrongirl » Sat Feb 23, 2008 10:50 pm

Dave wrote:I tried the pills, and they also made me drowsy and MORE DEPRESSED! They do nothing but keep you down...A healthy dose of sunshine/diet and activity was all I needed. My outlook & opinions are pretty much the same...I guess the profesionals will have to write me off on somthing else... :lol:

Life as it,s ups and downs...hope you have a good run :wink:

I am actually feeling better from the zoloft, but they don't work for everyone. It really depends on your body's chemistry. My diet has been pretty good for a long time so its not that.

Image Image
electrongirl

Postby Dave » Sun Feb 24, 2008 8:13 am

It's great that you are feeeling better,
How long have you been taking your meds? Please know that depression is not a long term illness and is often over emphasized by therapists & tharmasuiticales...Damn I wish I could spell :roll: ...Also is pays to know the side effects of your meds & I'm not tring to spa hear, but Zoloft is commonly known to have many after long term use...

I trully wish you well, and if your meds are making you feel better, then thats great...I have been dont that road more than once, and just want to let you know, that it can be easy to get in a rut with the medicine and condition, leaving some feeling dependant as I did...despite peoples chemistry...Zoloft is no good long term, and unfortunately most as people see it as some kind of cure, they end up on it much longer than needed and further develop a more cronic mental condition.

Once again...dont get me wrong...I am not insinuating anything about yourself here, just trying to help and make you aware of some of the pit falls. It's important to have a healthy respect for your meds, and weigh up the pros and cons...But I will say this...dont believe eveyone, just because they got some kind a paper saying they are proffesionals...Get to know the individual regardless of thier profesion, watch how they deal with others, get to know some of those others, and you will know just how good thier advice is.

Over all, other than knowing your meds and choosing the right people for help...It's important to also give yourself credit for feeling better, so that you'll have more confidance when attempting to make the breake from the meds................

Depresion does suck...It's like not being able to swim and having no strength to climb out of the pool, while you see others merily walking about the sidewalks. Whateva works to give you the strength to help you stay above board is what counts. The fact that you could post on the topic shows that you have already empowered yourself...I hope you get, that I am just trying to help and not rant...although some of us get confused in our attempts, the talking is better than not to have...
Have a great day :D
"Action may not always bring happiness, but there is no happiness without action"
Dave

Postby electrongirl » Sun Feb 24, 2008 10:38 am

my doctor has already told me that she wants me on the zoloft for only about 6-12 months. She is also organising counselling as she believes, as do I, that there's no point being on the medication if you dont address the other issues.

I totally get what your saying and I dont want to be dependant on pills for my life!!! But I am seeing them as a stepping stone in getting my life back on track and that is all. I hate taking any kind of medication so there is no way I want to do it for long term.

I am having regular appointments with my doctor so she can make sure everything is going well. And she is including my hubby in it too.

Thanks for your concern and advice, its well taken!!

Image Image
electrongirl

Postby Dave » Sun Feb 24, 2008 1:32 pm

!!! would indicate youve complety taken me the wrong way...you sure those pills are working?
Dave

PreviousNext

Return to Ask the Mob