It is currently Mon Dec 05, 2016 3:16 am

Free Newsletter

Anyone had or considered cosmetic surgery?

Got questions about weight loss? Ask the mob, they're sure to have the answers!

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Anyone had or considered cosmetic surgery?

Postby reester33 » Wed Feb 13, 2008 11:28 pm

You know what really worries me after reading about everyone's reduction in breast size after losing weight???? If I'm starting at an 18B now....what will I be when I finish? Sunken in? :lol: :lol:

I WAS EATING MYSELF TO DEATH WITH A KNIFE AND FORK!
reester33

Postby senoritanita » Fri Feb 15, 2008 2:36 pm

^^ I think that all depends on how you lose your weight as everyone carries it so differently - for me most of my kilos (26kgs so far) has come off my waist (34cm) & only 9cms off my boobs, which were a 16DD & are probably now a 14DD. You never know what will happen until you get to that point. I'm still waiting to lose something off my tree trunk legs :(
26.1 kgs lost... 23kgs to go (and counting!)
start date 13/09/07
senoritanita

Postby Jisgone » Wed Feb 20, 2008 12:54 pm

EvilWombatQueen wrote:I need to get a dermatofibroma cut out of my leg. It looks like an ugly wart, but it's really just an odd hardening of skin. It often gets nicked while I'm shaving so I really have to get around to getting it cut out. Luckily it can be done in a doctor's surgery but I've been too lazy to get it done.

i have 3 dematofibromas, the first one i got i was still in highschool and it was on my upper arm and the doc wasnt sure what it was, so i got it cut out to find out and the scar is much uglier than the initial problem! i have 2 more on my legs now but they just look like little brown bumps and are only half the size of a 5 cent coin and ide rather leave them there than have the scar from, cutting it out, such a small bump needed 5 stitches cause your skin just opens as soon as the doc cuts into it
Jisgone

Postby ali76 » Wed Feb 20, 2008 2:29 pm

Whats a dermatobibroma?! :shock:
SW - 75.9
CW - 68
Happy weight - 68 (I MADE IT!!!)
GW - 65 (for now - and until I conceive!)
ali76

Postby Diminishing » Wed Feb 20, 2008 3:02 pm

I have a deal going with my husband. If I get to my goal weight and stick to it, alonng with maintaining my exercise regime, then I will go ahead and get a abdominoplasty (tummy tuck) if I need/want one.

I just have a fear that I am going to lose all this weight, which is fantastic, but still have a 3 babies in 3 years saggy belly apron! LOL!

It's about $12k, but is covered partially with my health insurance.

Problem is, I believe you have to take it pretty easy for about 3 weeks afterwards.........which'd be tricky.
Lucy xx

Diminishing

Postby EvilWombatQueen » Wed Feb 20, 2008 4:11 pm

ali76 wrote:Whats a dermatobibroma?! :shock:

A dermatofibroma is basically just a hardening of the skin. Technically it is disordered collagen and results in a small hard bump that looks a bit like a dark wart only smoother.
http://dermnetnz.org/lesions/dermatofibroma.html
(Mine looks a bit like the first picture and is on my calf)

Thanks for the information about scarring, Jewles. I didn't know they scarred so badly! I've just done a bit of research online and apparently they can freeze the upper layers off using nitrogen rather than cut it out. It means that it is still visible, and can grow back eventually, but it doesn't result in the scar that surgical excision will create. I might see if they can do that at my local GP's office. At least I won't keep nicking the rotten thing while shaving my legs!
EvilWombatQueen

Postby Rustie » Thu Feb 21, 2008 9:45 am

I have a tummy tuck fund,,, a jar where i save my change. I know it will take me a while to get it dont but fingers crosses the price might drop in a few years.
After 2 kids and extra weight that im too lazy to get rid off it looks gross.

SW: 80kg
CW: 78.5kg
GW: 60kg
Rustie

Postby Jisgone » Thu Feb 21, 2008 11:28 am

mine looks like the one under yours :P about half the size of a $2 coin and the scar the first one i had cut out is about 3cms long so i wish i hadnt had it cut out! its on my upper arm so the scar is really obvious
Jisgone

Postby Cac33 » Mon Feb 25, 2008 6:07 pm

I always said I wanted lipo but I tell you what I have changed my mind. Last year the doctor thought I had appendicitis but wasn't entirely sure so instead of doing keyhole surgery near the appendix they did 2 keyholes & 1 large one over my stomach & had to search through me internally for the problem. Found out later it was my liver, appendix & bowel that was all infected but in the process they had ripped through a lot of tissue & fat. I was badly bruised & was out of action for over 2 weeks then barely back to work after that. Was a good month before I was back to 'normal'. Way too much pain & don't think I could ever put my body through that again for a non-essential surgery. (Or my husband for that matter!!)

You need to weigh up the pros & cons, the pain, the cost versus the outcome.
Cass

SW: 108.3 (4Feb08)
CW: 96.1
GW: 70
Cac33

Postby Blackdog » Mon Feb 25, 2008 10:16 pm

I think you'd be better off spending the money on Psychological counselling!

I would never have unneccessary surgery!

If something was affecting my health (like big boobs putting your back out) well, that's one thing, but fancy being put under a GA and having a surgeon cut into you for the sake of.....what?

Most people who have plastic surgery to "feel better about themselves" never do.

Go with the counselling! :wink:
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wXv1iUA/]
[/url]
Blackdog

Postby ali76 » Tue Feb 26, 2008 12:05 pm

I completely disagree Blackdog.

My mum had a tummy tuck going back a few years. Mum is quite a bit shorter than me and really looks after herself. Eats well, doesn't drink or smoke, walks every morning and recently joined curves and goes 4-5 times a week (at 62 she probably does more than me at 31!).

Mum would always be trim from behind - her back, hips, thighs, but, etc but after having 3 kids, no matter what she did, she couldn't lose her tummy and it really got her down. She decided to have this operation - after wanting it for YEARS!!

The transformation in her has been amazing! She is so much happier and confident in herself, she loves life and exercises more than ever (she's not worried about putting on a pair of shorts, tighter top or bathers!). I am so proud of her for doing it - she finally did something for herself and she's never looked back.
SW - 75.9
CW - 68
ali76

Postby anthony88 » Tue Feb 26, 2008 12:55 pm

ahh what about me. im 135KG i went to get down to like 80-90kg (at this stage) i dont want to have disgusting loose skin.. but what do i do about it?? im fully covered in private health insurance so i guess that will help pay for it if i have to.. whats the chances of me havin loose skin does anyone know?? and how do i help prevent it?? i will be gettin the surgery the day i get to my goal weight if i do get loose skin??
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/w14PlL0/]
[/url]

My First Goal is to be under 110kg reward=gym membership
Christmas '08, i will be under 100kg (BRING IT ON)
~~**IM NOW EATING TO LIVE, NOT LIVING TO EAT**~~
anthony88

Postby Diminishing » Tue Feb 26, 2008 1:41 pm

I also disagree that the money would be better spent on a psychologist.

For a few reasons......firstly, you can see a psychologist through the Medicare mental health plan for free (up to 18 sessions, which I guess is a lot for free?)

Plus, most ethical plastic surgeons will only operate for tummy tucks etc once you have already demonstrated that you have lost the weight and maintained a weight loss and exercise program for a certain period of time.

And certainly, no matter how much weight I lose, I fear I will always have some spare lose skin from my middle area from 3 children in a short space of time.

So why not have the whole lot?? LOL! Diet and exercise to lose it, exercise to tone it, phychologist to adress any mind barriers, then surgery to tweak the bits that simply defy the previous measures?

Just my opinion, obviously.......
Lucy xx

Diminishing

Postby ali76 » Tue Feb 26, 2008 1:43 pm

I'm with you Lucy!!!
SW - 75.9
CW - 68
ali76

Postby EvilWombatQueen » Tue Feb 26, 2008 3:33 pm

anthony88 wrote:ahh what about me. im 135KG i went to get down to like 80-90kg (at this stage) i dont want to have disgusting loose skin.. but what do i do about it?? im fully covered in private health insurance so i guess that will help pay for it if i have to.. whats the chances of me havin loose skin does anyone know?? and how do i help prevent it?? i will be gettin the surgery the day i get to my goal weight if i do get loose skin??

The best tip for preventing saggy skin is to lose the weight at a slow pace. Between 0.5kg and 1kg per week. Then your skin has time to shrink as your body does. Good nutrition, hydration and moisturising help keep the skin in good nick as well. Toning exercises can help too. But losing weight slowly is your best bet. It's usually when people lose a huge amount of weight very quickly that they need surgery to remove excess skin.
EvilWombatQueen

PreviousNext

Return to Ask the Mob