It is currently Sat Dec 03, 2016 5:42 pm

Free Newsletter

Anyone had or considered cosmetic surgery?

Got questions about weight loss? Ask the mob, they're sure to have the answers!

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Anyone had or considered cosmetic surgery?

Postby ali76 » Tue Feb 26, 2008 4:05 pm

You're a fountain of knowledge EWQ!! I never knew that....makes sense though!
SW - 75.9
CW - 68
Happy weight - 68 (I MADE IT!!!)
GW - 65 (for now - and until I conceive!)
ali76

Postby anthony88 » Tue Feb 26, 2008 4:31 pm

EvilWombatQueen wrote:
anthony88 wrote:ahh what about me. im 135KG i went to get down to like 80-90kg (at this stage) i dont want to have disgusting loose skin.. but what do i do about it?? im fully covered in private health insurance so i guess that will help pay for it if i have to.. whats the chances of me havin loose skin does anyone know?? and how do i help prevent it?? i will be gettin the surgery the day i get to my goal weight if i do get loose skin??

The best tip for preventing saggy skin is to lose the weight at a slow pace. Between 0.5kg and 1kg per week. Then your skin has time to shrink as your body does. Good nutrition, hydration and moisturising help keep the skin in good nick as well. Toning exercises can help too. But losing weight slowly is your best bet. It's usually when people lose a huge amount of weight very quickly that they need surgery to remove excess skin.

ok thanks that helps heaps.. what kind of toning exercise do u recomend???
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/w14PlL0/]
[/url]

My First Goal is to be under 110kg reward=gym membership
Christmas '08, i will be under 100kg (BRING IT ON)
~~**IM NOW EATING TO LIVE, NOT LIVING TO EAT**~~
anthony88

Postby MagicGirl79 » Tue Feb 26, 2008 4:41 pm

Anthony I also noticed that you're 19 yrs old, this is definitely young enough that if you do lose weight slowly as EWQ suggested, then your skin will bounce back.

The WW slimmer of the year 2 years ago lost 150kg (I think?), or at least it was something like that, def over 100kg. And she never needed any surgery because the weight came off slowly and she exercised whilst she was losing so her skin remained tight. So I think you'll be right provided you're not losing the weight really quickly & that you're exercising as you go.
Cheers,
Kate
MagicGirl79

Postby anthony88 » Tue Feb 26, 2008 4:49 pm

MagicGirl79 wrote:Anthony I also noticed that you're 19 yrs old, this is definitely young enough that if you do lose weight slowly as EWQ suggested, then your skin will bounce back.

The WW slimmer of the year 2 years ago lost 150kg (I think?), or at least it was something like that, def over 100kg. And she never needed any surgery because the weight came off slowly and she exercised whilst she was losing so her skin remained tight. So I think you'll be right provided you're not losing the weight really quickly & that you're exercising as you go.

do u mean she also weighed over 150kg.. im 135kg and i want to loose 45KG.. this is the only thing im really worried about.. let me know if u have any more info about this.
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/w14PlL0/]
[/url]

My First Goal is to be under 110kg reward=gym membership
Christmas '08, i will be under 100kg (BRING IT ON)
~~**IM NOW EATING TO LIVE, NOT LIVING TO EAT**~~
anthony88

Postby Blackdog » Tue Feb 26, 2008 6:27 pm

ali76 wrote:I completely disagree Blackdog.

My mum had a tummy tuck going back a few years. Mum is quite a bit shorter than me and really looks after herself. Eats well, doesn't drink or smoke, walks every morning and recently joined curves and goes 4-5 times a week (at 62 she probably does more than me at 31!).

Mum would always be trim from behind - her back, hips, thighs, but, etc but after having 3 kids, no matter what she did, she couldn't lose her tummy and it really got her down. She decided to have this operation - after wanting it for YEARS!!

The transformation in her has been amazing! She is so much happier and confident in herself, she loves life and exercises more than ever (she's not worried about putting on a pair of shorts, tighter top or bathers!). I am so proud of her for doing it - she finally did something for herself and she's never looked back.

There are always exceptions to the rule.

Many people who feel unhappy and think it is because of some physical attribute also think that their lives will suddenly be perfect if they change that one thing. When they discover this is not the case, they think they must change the next thing, and so on.

I still reckon it would have been cheaper and safer to get the couselling.

It's only that society perpetuates this 'cult of youth' - expecting someone who has had three kids to have a flat stomach, that makes women self conscious. Everyone wants to have the 'perfectly proportioned' physique that we see in the magazines, instead of realizing that real women have different body shapes, and if you are fit and healthy, that is what matters.

I do, however, have no objection to tummy control panties or push up bras! :wink: (nobody ever died or got disfigured from a Wonder Bra :lol: )
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wXv1iUA/]
[/url]
Blackdog

Postby Diminishing » Tue Feb 26, 2008 8:43 pm

Ummmmm, sorry, I still don't agree. I wear my battle scars of birth and motherhood quite happily. Saggy boobs will always be the way for me after breastfeeding solidly now for 4 years...no desire to change them.

I have no expectations to be a reed thin body shape....it'll just never happen.....I truly know and accept that I will never have a super model body shape. The media and its images are not driving me at all.

I know and love my boobs & my hips. I know that even at a size 10 or 12 I will still be voluptuous & curvy. BUT I WILL HAPPILY TAKE surgery to get rid of the post baby saddlebags, once I am at a fit and healthy weight. I also know that that area of skin has lost eleasticity (I am an "older" Mum of 3 littlies.......)

And whilst I do I agree that addressing the psychological issues is vital, I truly believe that it is any ones prerogative to go under the knife if they believe it will make them feel better.
Lucy xx

Diminishing

Postby HappyBella55 » Tue Feb 26, 2008 8:59 pm

I would like to get my stretch marks removed. I'm not sure if its possible to get them surgically removed but would really love too. I have horrible stretch marks on the upper back arm :cry: and my lower back :cry: they are so horrible. I hate them :twisted:
Start weight - 77kgs
Goal weight - 53kgs
Current Weight - 50.1kgs

No more weighing, no more scales. My measurement is my success at health. It's an investment I make every single day. My priority: be healthy!
HappyBella55

Postby Mangokouie » Tue Feb 26, 2008 9:25 pm

I've already had a mole removal on my chin. I would say it's worth it, especially if you bring someone with you to freak them out. I brought my mom. I just got the novacane and I had to burp really loudly when the doctor left the room. When I was ready to belch it out, my mom thought I was going to puke. So she freaked out for a bit, and it was entertaining. She also told me it looked like the doctor was slicing salami... I could have gone my whole life not knowing that.

As for surgery, it's not for me. I'm sure once I put the work in my weight will be fine (and I need the money!) My guy friends also complement me on my breast size (C cup, the numbers are different in the US). Since they are brutally honest, I'm not too worried about that. The only thing I may look into is hair removal from my chin since that mole was removed >_>
Mangokouie

Postby hysterical_oliver » Wed Feb 27, 2008 1:14 am

Blackdog tummytucks and similar procedures often need to be done because "excess skin" causes inflammatory problem or other discomforts to patients. I personally believe a lot of cases of "excess skin" aren't legitimate but every case is different. You can't pigeonhole everyone and send them to a shrink. :shock:
14th September 2007 125kg
Current Weight 102kg
Goal Weight 60kg
hysterical_oliver

Postby EvilWombatQueen » Wed Feb 27, 2008 1:41 pm

anthony88 wrote:
EvilWombatQueen wrote:
anthony88 wrote:ahh what about me. im 135KG i went to get down to like 80-90kg (at this stage) i dont want to have disgusting loose skin.. but what do i do about it?? im fully covered in private health insurance so i guess that will help pay for it if i have to.. whats the chances of me havin loose skin does anyone know?? and how do i help prevent it?? i will be gettin the surgery the day i get to my goal weight if i do get loose skin??

The best tip for preventing saggy skin is to lose the weight at a slow pace. Between 0.5kg and 1kg per week. Then your skin has time to shrink as your body does. Good nutrition, hydration and moisturising help keep the skin in good nick as well. Toning exercises can help too. But losing weight slowly is your best bet. It's usually when people lose a huge amount of weight very quickly that they need surgery to remove excess skin.

ok thanks that helps heaps.. what kind of toning exercise do u recomend???

Weights and resistance work are good. Pilates as well. Just remember that cardio is great for weight loss, weights and resistance work is great for toning, body shaping and adding muscle. A combination of the two with healthy eating should get to to your goal weight in great health and with no excess skin. Just make sure you avoid crash dieting. That's the absolute worst thing you could do because not only do you lose weight far too quickly, you'll lose muscle mass and the lack of nutrition will make it that much harder for your body to cope with all the changes.

As to the conversation about the tummy-tuck, I'm not sure how to prevent saggy skin after having a baby. I guess it's almost inevitable that your belly would shrink too quickly for your skin to adapt. Does anyone have any information about preventing a saggy tummy after pregnancy?
EvilWombatQueen

Postby Diminishing » Wed Feb 27, 2008 2:30 pm

Sadly not......from what my OB told me, the younger you are and the better elasticity your skin has, the better. And obviously don't use pregnancy to "eat junkfor 2". When I asked him what else I could do to minimise the saggy belly, he shrugged as if to say "get over it", LOL!
Lucy xx

Diminishing

Postby EvilWombatQueen » Wed Feb 27, 2008 3:18 pm

Damn! I'll be over 34 when we start having kids so I think I'm doomed. Better get that bikini body as soon as I can so I can make the most of it before the babies start arriving!
EvilWombatQueen

Postby ali76 » Wed Feb 27, 2008 4:41 pm

EvilWombatQueen wrote:Damn! I'll be over 34 when we start having kids so I think I'm doomed. Better get that bikini body as soon as I can so I can make the most of it before the babies start arriving!

I'm exactly the same EWQ (maybe 32-33)!!! AUGH!! :shock:
SW - 75.9
CW - 68
Happy weight - 68 (I MADE IT!!!)
GW - 65 (for now - and until I conceive!)
ali76

Postby madgicsh » Tue Mar 18, 2008 10:57 am

YEP! I had a nose job when I was 27 and a breast reduction and lift when I was 56; probably the best two things I ever did for myself because:

Nose job: People don't interpret me in the same way any more, I was always seen as nasty because the huge beak gave me a predatory look - GONE! :lol:
I used to be plagued with up to 6 head colds a year; in the 33 years since I had my nose straightened out I have had TWO colds :D

Boob lift & reduction: I went from a 12G to a 12B over night and LOVED it. :lol: Did you know there are no nerves in there so almost no pain (the corset thingy you have to wear for six weeks is a nuisance but necessary) the only pain I had was when the corset rolled up at the back and I didn't realise and tried to sleep on the lump. :oops:
Four years on I still don't wear a bra most days and although I have gained almost 20kg since the surgery I am only up to a C cup - BLISS :roll:

If you can't get something off your mind, DO SOMETHING about it and it will make you feel great. BUT it won't make you rich, thin, happy or loved. Just be realistic about what to expect and it's all good news. I would do both again tomorrow. :lol:

Lots of luck with whatever you decide to do; my next project will be a body lift when I get this weight off - that way I won't have to have liposuction (the dangerous part) or muscle cutting and tying (the painful part), but I WILL lose all the excess skin. :lol:

And trust me, NO weight loss system will stop you from having sagging skin if you're over 60. :wink:
Madgic1
HW 110kg
LW 62kg
GW 65kg
CW 80.5kg

Exercise hurts less than looking in the mirror

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wTlMxqm/]
[/url]
madgicsh

Postby nutzy » Sat Mar 29, 2008 1:39 am

madgicsh wrote:And trust me, NO weight loss system will stop you from having sagging skin if you're over 60. :wink:

eeerrrr..... over 40 actually! :wink: I'm 44 this year and have lost 12kgs and have loose skin under my chin and neck area (turkey neck) - makes me look years older - I still have a poochy apron of a belly, which when I have lost the rest of the weight, may still be a poochy apron of skin. Hubby says that exercise will sort that out, but I have been crunching now for months, and have not noticed any tightening or any improvement at all. I think there are certain things that only surgery can cure. My boobs are so far south that I just about trip over them, and at this point in my life no amount of exercise will taughten the years of slackness and make them perky again - they are just too heavy. So, if I were to elect to go under the knife, it would be lipo on the belly, surgery to remove the loose skin, a breast lift, and tightening of the slack muscles in the area above my ribcage under my arms and across my back. The rest of the imperfections I can just about live with including the sagging jawline.

SW: 76kg (08/07)
CW: 60.2kg (21/05)
GW: 55kg

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/woT3JnX/]
[/url]
nutzy

Previous

Return to Ask the Mob