It is currently Sat Dec 03, 2016 3:40 pm

Free Newsletter

Censored AND THE GABRIEL METHOD

Got questions about weight loss? Ask the mob, they're sure to have the answers!

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Censored AND THE GABRIEL METHOD

Postby Aussierob2001 » Fri Apr 10, 2009 12:45 am

Newbie to the group.

Hi all, My name is Rob from Sydney and have just read Jon's book and caught his group meeting at Maroubra the other week.

Like most of you I have been fighting weight for 20 years and am sitting now a 124 kgs.. Not good.

I like what Jon had to say and am commiting myself to the idea.

My questions are ..

1/ Are there any social groups/lunches in Sydney for the Gabriel Method followers ? It would be nice to meet up, exchange ideas and have a
Method Bbq so to speak.. just a thought,,

2/ Are there any other MP3's with Jon other then the 2 I down loaded to listen to ? He did a really good relaxation session with our group which
I was hoping he had recorded .

Any way, that all from me at the moment.

Best Wishes and Happy Easter to all.

Robert
Aussierob2001

Postby tommyc » Wed Apr 22, 2009 12:43 am

I have just started on the censored idea, mainly to support my wife, but when you say that 10,000 steps per day is strenuous exercise, I think you're exagerating slightly. 10,000 steps is around 10 km or 6 miles, if you walk for half an hour, as they say, that's a couple of miles and, then, just doddling around for the rest of the day, doing normal stuff, soon gets you up to the 10,000 steps. So don't stress about it, build up gradually. You'll be ok.
tommyc

Postby saff1010 » Thu Apr 23, 2009 10:41 am

Hi
This is my first time here also and I have just been reading all the threads.
My husband and I started the censored diet about 6 weeks ago. Hubby has lost about 5 kg and I have only lost about 2!!
My friend and her husband lost about 10kg each on it, thats why we gave it a go. My husband is happy with his loss as he only needs to lose about 8kg and is nearly at his target. Me on the other hand, after 2 kids need to lose another 8kg.
Before I commenced this diet, my eating pattern was terrible and has been my whole life. I have never eaten breakfast and would eat about 1 -2 meals a day, so I guess my metabolism was in pretty bad shape. Now I eat 6 times a day but I am finding that the weight still does not shift. Does anyone out there have any answers as to why this system is not working for me. I follow it to the letter and go to gym 2 -3 times a week. Could it be a problem with my metabolism? and if so how do I fix it? I would appreciate ANY feedback. Thanks
saff1010

Postby saff1010 » Thu Apr 23, 2009 10:43 am

Hi
This is my first time here also and I have just been reading all the threads.
My husband and I started the censored diet about 6 weeks ago. Hubby has lost about 5 kg and I have only lost about 2!!
My friend and her husband lost about 10kg each on it, thats why we gave it a go. My husband is happy with his loss as he only needs to lose about 8kg and is nearly at his target. Me on the other hand, after 2 kids need to lose another 8kg.
Before I commenced this diet, my eating pattern was terrible and has been my whole life. I have never eaten breakfast and would eat about 1 -2 meals a day, so I guess my metabolism was in pretty bad shape. Now I eat 6 times a day but I am finding that the weight still does not shift. Does anyone out there have any answers as to why this system is not working for me. I follow it to the letter and go to gym 2 -3 times a week. Could it be a problem with my metabolism? and if so how do I fix it? I would appreciate ANY feedback. Thanks
saff1010

Postby Hexwitch » Sun Apr 26, 2009 10:38 am

Hi
I see there has been no activity on this thread in a while so maybe the interest has passed, however I will add my view.

I know little to nothing of the Gabriel Method but started censored on March 07 2009 and have lost 19.8kg. Amazing I hear you say, amazing it is but you don't as yet have the full story. This incredible weight loss has come about using the censored eating method pretty much on it's own. censored says its system is 70% food 20% walking 10% strenuous exercise. I am here to tell you it works even without doing the advised 10,000 steps which are the 20% component.

censored is the answer for anyone, who, like myself has disabilities that interfer with or prevent mobility. I am awae of a few people in this position who are having success with censored. They also have an excellent supportive forum and chat as a part of the program.

Compared with previous weightloss efforts I give censored the thumbs up as being a lifestyle that one could follow forever without difficulty.
Hexwitch

Postby Robin » Mon Apr 27, 2009 1:17 am

Hi Hexwitch,

Congratulations on your weight-loss. :D

This sounds too good to be true - unless you are on a VERY low calorie level or losing lots of fluid.

Please give details of the Censored eating method e.g. what you would eat for each meal or snack? What is the recommended daily calorie intake? How long are you supposed to keep it up? What foods are restricted? How much does it cost?

I am interested in anything which really works - and is sustainable long-term. :)
Robin

Postby EvilWombatQueen » Mon Apr 27, 2009 11:37 am

Is censored compatible with a vegan diet? I've visited the website and although one of the recipes listed was (mostly) vegan, the others relied on animal protein. The recipes listed for weight loss all seem low carb too, omitting things like millet and rice. I've been intrigued by the system after reading about it in this thread, but I don't want to spend $140 on something I'd never be able to stick to.
EvilWombatQueen

Postby sandrawww » Mon May 04, 2009 4:20 pm

New to the forum but have tried many weight loss methods. Started censored today. Bought it many months ago, delayed in starting as concerned about the first 3 days of protein only - did not think I could do it - but it seems OK. They also talk about drinking water, taking a multivitamin and fish oil. Exercise is not a big issue for them, but they do like you to do 10000 steps a day ie walk. I have 10kg to lose but I have lost some of this weight before on Tony Ferguson - got sick of the shakes, and found weight watchers more successful but went back on to overeating and drinking too much, haven't been able to loose any more weight since then. So yes its got to be a change in lifestyle and then MAINTENANCE. If you are a vegan you would find censored impossible as it relies on you eating protein for snacks & as a major part of your main meal.
sandrawww

Postby Robin » Mon May 04, 2009 9:46 pm

If I had to choose between "Censored" and "The Gabriel Method", I would choose the Gabriel Method. I think a vegetarian (especially a Vegan) would find it almost impossible to follow BT. The reasons are:-

Research has shown that Dr Atkins was on the right track. Increasing protein (or fats) reduces the appetite - hence the three days of protein only on BT - or the two week "induction period" on Atkins.

It is not necessary to eat large amounts of fat to achieve the appetite reduction effect - lean protein will do the trick. All fats are high in calories whether they be from animal or vegetable sources. Some fats (good fats) are necessary e.g. omega 3's. Some of the good fats can be obtained from vegetable sources.

Reducing (or cutting out) carbohydrates reduces calories and cravings for sugar. All carbs are turned into sugar- which the body uses for quick energy - or to store as fat if there is a surplus. Complex carbs which take longer and use more energy to digest are better than processed carbs which turn to sugar quickly and easily.

The healthiest diet provides all the nutrients (vitamins, minerals, amino acids etc) which the body needs. If the body is lacking in any nutrients, it will try to get you to eat more in the hope that you will ingest what it needs. If the body gets calories but misses out on the correct nutrients - you will be fighting your own body - and never be able to lose weight and keep it off.

Our distant ancestors were hunter-gatherers (omnivores) - not farmers, not herdsmen, not vegetarians, not carnivores. Omnivores eat nuts, seeds, roots, berries, fruits, leaves, fish, shellfish, small animals, grubs, eggs, insects, reptiles, birds etc. Occasionally, they might get the opportunity to eat wild honey or a larger animal (not every day, and usually after expending a lot of energy in the chase). Very rarely would they eat large quantities of grains (and then only after considerable effort to harvest and make them palatable). Fruits were seasonal - and not the large sugar-loaded types we have developed in recent centuries. Foods were eaten while they were fresh.

To lose weight and keep it off (and be healthier) - eat little and often, eat a wide variety of different foods, do not exclude anything completely, do not eat anything which you can't identify unless you read the packet, restrict any "foods" which have been "invented" e.g. margarine, white flour, white sugar, sugar drinks, artificial sweeteners, colourings, flavourings, preservatives - and exercise as if you were gathering (or chasing) your next meal.

There is no one "diet" or set of rules which will suit everyone. The needs of each individual are different - and change from day-to-day. It is important for each individual to find a long-term lifestyle which suits them and their nutritional needs. It is not just about calories and exercise. Achieving a BALANCE where your body is not deprived is the difficult part.

The Gabriel Method re-educates the body and mind to a healthier lifestyle. It does not forbid anything. You don't have to weigh, count, or measure. You don't have to buy anything except the book and fresh food. You just have to give the body the nutrients it needs first - before you eat anything else.
Robin

Postby EvilWombatQueen » Thu May 07, 2009 12:37 am

I forgot to mention that I emailed the Censored website with my question as well. They got back to me the very next day with an answer and that really impressed me. A+ for their effort! Unfortunately you are both right. Veganism and Censored aren't the best of weight loss buddies. The person who emailed me said that they have a few vegetarians and vegans on the program and that it is technically possible to substitute vegetable protein for animal protein in some of their recipes, but food choices are very limited for vegetarians and vegans.

I think the Gabriel Method suits me better anyway. I'm on a plateau at the moment, but I'm craving salads, veggies and fruit over chips and chocolate so I'm sure it'll end up working for me in the long run!

Thanks so much for responding to my question, Robin and Sandra! :D
EvilWombatQueen

Postby fitnfat » Fri Jun 05, 2009 2:00 pm

I am feeling fed up and discouraged. Having been on diets before I really think they don't work so the gabriel method resonates with me. I have made a lot of the changes he recommends before ever reading the book. I juice a pound of veggies and fruits [mostly veggies] every morning, I eat a salad the size of my head for lunch every day. I take lots of omega 3's and I exercise [boot camp for a month now]. My calorie count is somewhere around 1800 a day most days. I need to lose 20 lbs and I am almost afraid to do everything because I don't want to be disappointed. I really don't think I can maintain a lifestyle with less than 1800 calories on any kind of a permanent basis. If my fat switch is on I really don't know why. I am going to try listening to the CD but not sure what else I can do. Any suggestions?
fitnfat

Postby FatBottomedGirl » Tue Jun 09, 2009 6:00 am

I have been using the Gabriel Method for about 4 weeks now. I must say, I'm impressed with the results. I had to wait for a payday before I could purchase the supplements, so I spent the first 10 or so days only adding his suggesgted foods to my diet and listening to the CD every night.

I spent the first few days going to the bathroom and I spent a few more days after that crying a lot. I was not a whole lot of fun to be around but I sort of felt like my body and soul were finally releasing a lot of emotional and physical toxins. After I added the recommended supplements to my diet, my skin cleared up and I noticed that my appetite had decreased. By the 3rd week, I had lost my sugar cravings and felt like exercising again. (A word about the sugar cravings--I am sitting in an office and there is a plate of homemade cranberry cheesecake bars not 10 feet away that a co-worker baked this weekend. I am just not interested in them.)

Into week 4 now, I find myself craving fruits and veggies and fish and the like. I no longer eat like I'm in a race to finish first. I'm exercising every day, even if it is only a walk after dinner (which my kids now join me for and we really love having that time together.) I have lost weight, although I don't know exactly how much, as one of the recommendations from Jon is not to weigh yourself for the first 6 months. What I know is that I'm down almost a full dress size and my slacks are staring to look like clown pants. My "skinny" jeans (skinny only by my standards but still, skiny for me) fit again. On the days when I have time, I go to the gym for a more intense workout.

Weight loss aside, however, what blows me away is the change in my attitude!! I am much more patient with my children. I find myself far less stressed about work and finances and the like. I feel more hopeful about my future and I'm smiling more.

I am very happy with this program so far. I will keep everybody posted on my progress.
FatBottomedGirl

Postby BBgal » Tue Jun 09, 2009 2:13 pm

do you know how much you have lost fatbottomgirl?
SW: 99.9kg ( how close was that to triple digits) 4/11/08
CW: 72.2kg 20/06/09)
GW: 60kg ( Will re-evaluate then to see if I want lower)
BBgal

Postby Robin » Thu Jun 11, 2009 1:59 am

Hello Fitnfat. I think it is important to try different lifestyle changes - rather than think of "dieting" or "losing weight". I think you have to use trial and error to find out what YOUR body likes best - in regards to exercise, rest, attitudes, nutrition.

I have never had much success in losing weight by "dieting" - but I definitely feel much better generally when I am eating for nutrition. I enjoy food, and if I "diet" in the usual sense of the word, I eventually rebel against the restricitons.

I like the Gabriel Method because (a) I feel better, more energetic - and (b) I am not feeling deprived. I am slowly losing weight (with a few hiccups) and am attracted to, and am enjoying, healthier food. I will be quite happy if I am healthier - even if I don't lose lots of weight quickly.
Robin

Postby FatBottomedGirl » Thu Jun 11, 2009 9:13 am

I don't know how much weight I have lost. I haven't stepped on a scale. But if I had to guess, I would estimate it's just under 10 pounds (4.5 kgs).

But that is just a guess.
FatBottomedGirl

PreviousNext

Return to Ask the Mob