It is currently Tue Dec 06, 2016 1:32 am

Free Newsletter

Censored AND THE GABRIEL METHOD

Got questions about weight loss? Ask the mob, they're sure to have the answers!

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Censored AND THE GABRIEL METHOD

Postby Wench » Thu Jun 18, 2009 1:21 pm

Hi all,

Yes, I'm another newbie. I'm so inspired to hear all of your stories. I'm off to the health food shop at lunch time and getting the Omega 3, flaxseed and digestive enzymes. I think I have the exercise part under control (exercising 4+ times per week including deep water running, weights, walking cardio and fitness classes), so just got to get the eating thing straight and the mind straight. In the past (ummm yesterday) I eat when bored, happy, sad, looks good, etc etc. Hopefully you know what I mean. I have 20kg to lose (will look at when I get there) whic I can't wait. My husband and I are going on a cruise in March 2010, so would LOVE to wear a bikini! NEVER worn one before!! So I have a long term goal, which should keep me motivated. my husband is also going to join me on the GM and we'll motivate each other. We also have a 2nd ed book, but will look at the MP3 dowload (thanks guys for the heads up!).

Anyway, off to the health food store. Thanks for the support and look forward to regular updates, as well as sharing mine,

W
Wench

Postby Wench » Thu Jun 18, 2009 2:02 pm

Something else i forgot to add, is I'm Coeliac (gluten free) and have had trouble finding a method where I can lose weight without gluten. All recommend bread etc, so happy to give this one a good go
Wench

Postby Robin » Fri Jun 19, 2009 2:20 am

The only other program I can think of which does not include foods containing gluten is "The Atkins' Diet" - which is extra low in carbohydrates and high in protein.

I lost a LOT of weight years ago doing the old original Atkins' Diet (which included a lot of fat as well as protein) BUT my cholesterol levels went sky-high. If you ever do Atkins, make sure you do the updated version which uses much less fat.

Protein reduces the appetite - so make sure you include some at each meal - whatever program you are on. You could use fish (oily fish contain omega-3 - which is a bonus), chicken (skin off), legumes, or low-fat dairy.

I think the GM is a healthy lifestyle which you are more likely to maintain long-term.
Robin

Postby Mrs Wagpie » Tue Sep 01, 2009 3:14 pm

I started censored 3 weeks ago and have lost 5.5kgs, I love it think its a fabulous eating plan...how r u going??
[/url]
Mrs Wagpie

Postby Rasser » Wed Mar 10, 2010 5:03 pm

I am new to this site. I bought censored and have to say that basically after spending a lot of money, it is a high protein, low carb diet. The basics is to eat six meals per day (small). However, although I lost 3 kilos to start with, I put these back on on my free days (which is to have a day once a week where you have one meal which is not 'diet focused'). I lost interest and became a tad depressed after going through weeks of losing 3 kilos (after a 3 day protein only - which is recommended when you first start the program), and then putting it on. I am interested in the Jon Gabriel method as my friend has recently purchased the book and spoke about the fact that Jon talks about focusing on organic food and eating when you are hungry. I think for me the reason why censored didn't work is that I did have the six meals a day - unfortunately I had an (and still do) issue with portion size. I tend to eat healthy anyway, but the portion size I think is the issue. Also there were times when I wasnt hungry but in following censored I was meant to eat. To me it makes more sense to eat only when hungry. To me (and censored talks about going back to prehistoric times where they hunted and gathered), the prehistoic family possibly didn't eat six small meals a day, but ate when they were able to find food and hungry.
Anyway, I'm interested in looking more at the Jon Gabriel method, however, after spending a couple of hundred on censored (that included when you first join you are added to this 'club', but what they dont tell you is that unless you ring and remove yourself, they take money from your credit card every month as payment for this exclusive member thingo (menopausal - therefore brain is not functioning as well at the moment - so cant remember the exact name of the 'special group'). Anyway, after spending that cash on that, am a tad weary of spending more - in case this is a scam of some sort. So what do people think and what is the basis of this program.
Cheers :D
Rasser

Postby Rasser » Wed Mar 10, 2010 5:08 pm

Hello its me again - told you I'm menopausal and the brain doesn't work :shock: . Need to point out if anyone responds that I only work Monday to Wednesdays and dont have a computer at home, so only have access while at work. I've found this site quite interesting to read - especially hearing people's journeys and experiences. :D
Rasser

Postby EvilWombatQueen » Wed Mar 10, 2010 8:34 pm

Rasser wrote:Anyway, I'm interested in looking more at the Jon Gabriel method, however, after spending a couple of hundred on censored (that included when you first join you are added to this 'club', but what they dont tell you is that unless you ring and remove yourself, they take money from your credit card every month as payment for this exclusive member thingo (menopausal - therefore brain is not functioning as well at the moment - so cant remember the exact name of the 'special group'). Anyway, after spending that cash on that, am a tad weary of spending more - in case this is a scam of some sort. So what do people think and what is the basis of this program.
Cheers :D

Well, one of the advantages of The Gabriel Method is that it's quite cheap compared to everything else. You buy a book and that's it. It costs around $35. You then download two free MP3 files from the website. So your total outlay is roughly $35. I bought it ages ago and I've got to say it's the best weight loss book I've ever bought. I don't know if it helped me lose any weight, but the MP3s are fantastic at building your self-esteem and the mind programming meant I have a persistent craving for fresh, healthy foods like salad, raw veggies and fruit! The MP3s are wonderfully relaxing, and I actually use them in lieu of relaxation or meditation tapes now. So health-wise I think it's worth far more than what I paid for it. If I had more time to devote to it I imagine it would have worked for my weight loss too. He encourages interval training and using his MP3s daily, neither of which I did. I think some of his theories are a bit airy-fairy, I don't subscribe to stuff like 'chi', but he says from the start you can skip the stuff you don't like and just incorporate the stuff you do like and you'll still find it beneficial. It's not a magic bullet for weight loss, but it's still a great book that can help with your weight loss. I hope this brief review helps you!
EvilWombatQueen

Postby Robin » Fri Mar 12, 2010 4:48 am

I have also always had trouble with portion control - dating back to childhood when we were required to clean our plates even though they had the same amount of food on them as the adults plates. :?

If you are having trouble with portion sizes, I suggest you try buying ready-made frozen meals for a while e.g. "Weight Watchers" or "Lean Cuisine" (from the refrigerator cabinets in the supermarket) - to get an idea of how big a meal should be for a certain amount of calories.

They come in various sizes depending on the calories/kilojoules they contain (read the information labels carefully). Some are in plastic bowls. Most are just put into the microwave - but some are meant to be steamed. There is a wide range of choices, but all contain protein, vegetables, and carbs (rice, pasta, potato). I'm sure you will find some you really enjoy. They are (in my opinion) a bit expensive at the normal price - BUT a good buy when on special.

You could also have calorie-controlled meals delivered each week - until portion control and food combinations become second nature. Companies such as "Trim A Weigh" or "Lite n Easy" make it really easy to lose weight - and not too expensive (as you just eat everything they provide and don't have to buy anything else). Make sure you understand how each company works and what they offer. Also find out what your responsibilities or financial arrangements will be.

ALWAYS beware any organization which insists on large joining fees, large initial purchases, or direct debit payments. :cry: The weight-loss and fitness industries know that many people will drop out along the way, so they like to get your money up front - and people are often too embarrassed or depressed to make a fuss about trying to get a refund. Read the fine print very carefully before signing up or sending any money.

Jon Gabriel's book and CD have been a good investment for me - but you do have to make a determined effort to change your bad habits and replace them with new good ones. There are no extra costs, and there is extra advice and support available if you need it. :D
Robin

Postby Rasser » Mon Mar 15, 2010 4:36 pm

:D Hello all, thanks for your responses. Yes, I agree that if organisations ask for a lot of money, credit card numbers etc then beware, and certainly I have learnt my lesson. However, what is interesting is tht usually I am a very careful person, but being overweight is something to tugs at your emotions, and this is where the weight loss industry sucks people in.

I will be buying the book this week (pay week) and look forward to the CD's which increase self-esteem. I also look forward to not being on a diet, but having a lifestyle change - including how I see myself. I think what is interesting in this site, is that people talk about visualisation and visualing themselves as they would want to be. I think that there is something to the power of the mind and maybe this is the real key to success.

I have also started yoga - WOW - 6 days and going strong - only doing about 15 minutes a day, but have noticed that this also assists in feeling calmer and feeling o.k with oneself.

In relation to portion size, someone else told me to put food on a small plate (ie bread plate) and that this reduces the size of the meal and gets you use to eating smaller meals.
Rasser

Postby Robin » Tue Mar 16, 2010 1:45 am

Hi Rasser - yes, I can relate to weight issues creating a blind spot. :( I too am normally very organised and successful in things I want to achieve - except with weight-loss.

I have come to realise that there are a number of issues which are helping to hold me back. One of them is my rebellion against people who judge me by my appearance/weight. A rather strong internal voice says something along the lines of "who are they to judge me - I will not be told what I should be by THEM - I will be successful despite being overweight" - sounds like a kiddy rant, but that is (part of) what is going on in my head.

I suspect that I need to go somewhere far away - where I am alone - but have healthy, portion-controlled meals helicoptered in. Mind you, I would probably throw rocks at the helicopter because they only bring food someone else thinks is ok for me. :roll:

The JG book no longer comes with a cd. I believe you have to download MP3's from the internet (using an answer you get from the book as a password).

let us know how you get on.
Robin

Postby Rasser » Tue Mar 16, 2010 2:34 pm

Hi Rob :D
I do understand that internal voice and you made me chuckle as I think that a lot of us want to say 'buggar off' - I am who I am and I am Great. However, it would be just bl**dy lovely to wear a nice dress and look sexy and fab. And, to feel great and healthy.

B*ggar about the CD no longer being used in downloads, I don't have an MP3 - mind you am not sure what an MP3 is (old age hippy whose brain is soggy due to menopause). My mate who told me about JG might have downloaded the CD (fingers crossed). Alternatively, maybe I can just contact JG or associates and see if there is a way to get it on CD. Anyway, will get to that. Am looking forward in getting the book - think the basis of the book suits how I am.

I'm still laughing at you mind talk - Only that I hear me saying that stuff. I guess I have always been someone who went past the physical looks of people and saw beauty in the actual person and being that sort of person I have strong beliefs in everyone being the same (very unrealistic - maybe you become more unrealistic as you head deeper into menopause territory - who knows). Anyway, nice to know that Im not alone in the internal voice chatter (and the nature of the actual chatter). You know, the hellicopter may provide you with Pizza ingredients. You can make healthy pizza's. You get Lebanese bread (rather than those pizza bases which are thick doe) and spread on some nice tomato paste or tomato pesto, and then add a few nice vegs (like red peppers, mushrooms, add some nice grilled chicken or smoked salmon and then sprinkle some fetta. Whack in the oven for about 15-20 minutes and hey presto - a very healthy pizza. Well it works for me and is fun to do especially when you a babysitting the neighbours kid (because they need some adult time) and the kid is bored sh*tless.

Well, I can report that Yoga is going fine. Am stretching and finding that I am actually starting to stretch further. My cousins dog (Nicky) who now resides with me gets a tad excited when I go into 'Downward Dog' - possibly because I'm yelling at Nicky - 'hey Nick - its downward dog' as I chuckle and fall onto the ground - possibly because my calfs are split in two - or that is what it feels like.

I really do believe that Yoga is a good form of exercise. Its a gentle exercise, although I only do a few of them and dont stand on my head or anything like that. But I think just doing a few of those gentle stretches is good.

Anyway, looking forward to getting the JG book. And looking forward to stretching to a point of becoming 'elastic gal'. Well, one also has the right to live in fantasy land.
Rasser

Postby Rasser » Tue Mar 16, 2010 2:34 pm

Hi Rob :D
I do understand that internal voice and you made me chuckle as I think that a lot of us want to say 'buggar off' - I am who I am and I am Great. However, it would be just bl**dy lovely to wear a nice dress and look sexy and fab. And, to feel great and healthy.

B*ggar about the CD no longer being used in downloads, I don't have an MP3 - mind you am not sure what an MP3 is (old age hippy whose brain is soggy due to menopause). My mate who told me about JG might have downloaded the CD (fingers crossed). Alternatively, maybe I can just contact JG or associates and see if there is a way to get it on CD. Anyway, will get to that. Am looking forward in getting the book - think the basis of the book suits how I am.

I'm still laughing at you mind talk - Only that I hear me saying that stuff. I guess I have always been someone who went past the physical looks of people and saw beauty in the actual person and being that sort of person I have strong beliefs in everyone being the same (very unrealistic - maybe you become more unrealistic as you head deeper into menopause territory - who knows). Anyway, nice to know that Im not alone in the internal voice chatter (and the nature of the actual chatter). You know, the hellicopter may provide you with Pizza ingredients. You can make healthy pizza's. You get Lebanese bread (rather than those pizza bases which are thick doe) and spread on some nice tomato paste or tomato pesto, and then add a few nice vegs (like red peppers, mushrooms, add some nice grilled chicken or smoked salmon and then sprinkle some fetta. Whack in the oven for about 15-20 minutes and hey presto - a very healthy pizza. Well it works for me and is fun to do especially when you a babysitting the neighbours kid (because they need some adult time) and the kid is bored sh*tless.

Well, I can report that Yoga is going fine. Am stretching and finding that I am actually starting to stretch further. My cousins dog (Nicky) who now resides with me gets a tad excited when I go into 'Downward Dog' - possibly because I'm yelling at Nicky - 'hey Nick - its downward dog' as I chuckle and fall onto the ground - possibly because my calfs are split in two - or that is what it feels like.

I really do believe that Yoga is a good form of exercise. Its a gentle exercise, although I only do a few of them and dont stand on my head or anything like that. But I think just doing a few of those gentle stretches is good.

Anyway, looking forward to getting the JG book. And looking forward to stretching to a point of becoming 'elastic gal'. Well, one also has the right to live in fantasy land.
Rasser

Postby Robin » Thu Mar 18, 2010 4:31 am

I recently took a couple classes at the local gym which included some Yoga. I found it very envigorating - yet relaxing at the same time. My efforts at doing "downward doggie" (as the very pert and tiny instructor called it) was something to behold - especially as I could hardly contain my mirth. The reason was not only that I was more like "sausage dog dying", but I had placed myself at the rear of the class - and the view of all the bums was a bit overwhelming. :lol: They didn't quite look as graceful and sexy as the instructor's demo - that's for sure!

I intend continuing the yoga at home - using a dvd I got quite cheap. At least if I end up in a knotted heap, there will be no-one there to send a video to "Funniest Home Videos". :lol: :lol: :lol:

For many years (right from around puberty) I have always been "the plump one" despite being very active in sports and not eating any differently from everyone else. Plumpness was seen as being healthy and "having something in reserve" (in case you caught some horrible childhood disease like diptheria. I never dieted until I was in my 50's, and only after my doctor announced that I had better lose some weight because my BMI had hit 30 (obese).

I think most diets are torture - and only useful if you have a small number of kilos to lose for a special event. Any larger amounts of weight-loss require super-human determination (obsessiveness) if they are to go longer than a few weeks.

The Gabriel Method is (I feel) much more likely to achieve larger permanent weight-losses because it requires no counting, weighing etc (boring and time consuming) - and it does not involve contracts or large money outlays. It also gets you to develop healthy eating and healthy attitudes.
Robin

Postby Rasser » Mon Mar 29, 2010 2:00 pm

Hey there,
Think it is a great idea to continue doing Yoga at home. I may not be excellent at it (at this time) but am improving each week with the stretches and feel so much more relaxed (mentally and physically). Am nearly finished JG's book - absolutely fantastic. WoW amazing how much sense it makes. Started this morning with visualising my new body. Cut this picture out of a magazine - but in order to visualise the body as me, I cut the head off - to visualise me. Felt like some weird sicko cutting her head off, but its the only way I can try to start believing that that body is going to be mine. So had the two glasses of water and then breakie - and I took note in his book about the research into water consumption and thirst dehydration - and some experts believe that pending you weight how many glasses of water each day you should have - ie 80 kilos = 10 glasses of water etc., instead of going with the 8 glasses of water for everyone no matter what weight they are. So am trying to keep up the water supply. My only difficulty with his book is the suggestion of having lots of water in the evening (which helps with reducing appetite - the time of night when cravings and just fridge surfing occurs), as I'm then up most of the evening peeing. So have to revise this and maybe have lots of water until around 8pm and then stop liquids. Anyway, keep up the yoga - I swear it is the answer to assisting with stress (both mentally and physically) and you can do it in the comfort of your own home. How have others found the suggestion in JG book of drinking lots of water in the evening. Maybe it is my age as well that is affecting the old bladder. Anyway, should be finished the book tommorrow. Cheers - Jan.
Rasser

Postby JacquiB » Tue Apr 20, 2010 10:28 pm

Hi Razzer - have you tried ashtanga yoga? :) thats my favourite - it's for all levels beginners and advanced
JacquiB

PreviousNext

Return to Ask the Mob