It is currently Sun Dec 04, 2016 2:39 am

Free Newsletter

Energy problems?

Got questions about weight loss? Ask the mob, they're sure to have the answers!

Moderator: Moderators

Energy problems?

Postby Mangokouie » Tue Feb 26, 2008 6:57 pm

So I ran the other day, which is good. Yesterday I thought that running the other day was fine. Today I'm just so exhausted I can't even think about running. It seems like I cut so many calories out of my daily eatting and I just don't have the energy for anything anymore. I'm sleeping about 10 hours a night (waking up naturally of course). Today I tried putting more calories in, like green tea ice cream ( I was with some friends, it happens), and I'm still just so bogged down.

Is it really normal to not have a lot of energy when first beginning the dieting thing?
Mangokouie

Re: Energy problems?

Postby electrongirl » Tue Feb 26, 2008 8:48 pm

are you eating enough? your definately getting enough sleep. Are you eating lost of veges? Protein? Maybe give us a usual days menu so we can see if you may be missing something?
Nikki - Aussie girl living in the USA with her soul mate. My blog: http://aus2usa.blogspot.com/

Image Image
electrongirl

Postby HappyBella55 » Tue Feb 26, 2008 9:03 pm

How low have you cut your cals to? Someone with your weight should be eating around 1500 cals. Also as electrongirl suggested are you eating from all food groups?

Lack of energy usually comes when you blood sugar levels stops peaking, so if you eat low GI foods you shouldn't experience lack of energy.

Maybe take some multi vitamins too
Start weight - 77kgs
Goal weight - 53kgs
Current Weight - 50.1kgs

No more weighing, no more scales. My measurement is my success at health. It's an investment I make every single day. My priority: be healthy!
HappyBella55

Postby Mangokouie » Tue Feb 26, 2008 9:06 pm

Well, here's a list as to what I ate today:

Breakfast:
2 pieces of whole grain toast with little butter

Lunch:
Vegetarian roll and 1/2 a cranberry muffin

Dinner:
2 pieces of toast and tomato soup

Snacks throughout the day:
blue snowcone (it is orientation week)
green tea ice cream

I haven't really counted how many calories that is, I'm terrible at keeping numbers in my head.
Mangokouie

Postby Just_Ice » Tue Feb 26, 2008 9:27 pm

Just by looking at that you are definately not eating enough.... Not enough protein thats for sure....
Just_Ice

Postby electrongirl » Tue Feb 26, 2008 9:38 pm

your not eating any protein, dairy, vegetables, fruit.

This is not a very healthy diet at all. I really suggest you add more food to your diet. If your a vegetarian, tofu is very low in fat and high in protein. I can totally see why you have no energy, your running on an empty tank.
Nikki - Aussie girl living in the USA with her soul mate. My blog: http://aus2usa.blogspot.com/

Image Image
electrongirl

Postby Mangokouie » Tue Feb 26, 2008 9:42 pm

Heh, yeah, I'm still trying to fully move into my apartment. I don't really want to go to a McDonalds or anything for the meat, but I have no means of cooking that for the time being. Don't mean to be making excuses, really, but I will try to put more stuff into my system (and fridge) tomorrow.
Mangokouie

Postby electrongirl » Tue Feb 26, 2008 9:49 pm

hey as long as you know that you aren't eating enough then thats great. No one needs to go to Maccas for food.

but you don't have energy and this is the reason why!

Image Image
electrongirl

Postby EvilWombatQueen » Wed Feb 27, 2008 3:25 pm

You definitely need to eat more. It could also be a matter of when you're eating. If you're going for a run first thing in the morning before breakfast you're almost guaranteed to 'hit the wall' because you don't have any energy reserves to keep you going. Your body needs glycogen for energy while you exercise. You get that from carbs. If you have a wholegrain snack such as a muesli bar or a banana sandwich an hour before you exercise you should be fine. Follow that with a 60/40 carb/protein snack afterwards to replace spent glycogen and repair muscles. Hopefully that will help you. But definitely start eating more as well! Otherwise you'll find it difficult to build muscle (which is great for health and weight loss in the long run) and you'll probably go into starvation mode and find it difficult to lose weight.

Try adding half a tin of beans to a green salad and have that as a snack to get more protein into your diet. Even a protein shake would be beneficial given how little protein you're getting currently.

Good luck!
EvilWombatQueen

Return to Ask the Mob